“Worst Dump I've Ever Stayed At.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Denver
Melbourne International Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #10 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Denver
Reviewed July 10, 2009

I stayed at this dump for two nights before I stayed at my friend's hotel. It is disgusting inside. People smoked inside. The hotplate didn't work. The rooms are ugly. The hallways are dingy. This is easily the worst place that I have ever stayed.

The neighbourhood outside wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible - being from Vancouver, I've certainly seen way worse areas (Downtown Eastside). At the same time, it's best to be careful at night in this area - nothing happened to me but be careful.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo

Reviewed May 27, 2009

early this month i stayed two nights in a private room.
even though the hostel is not part of hi/ayh, they gave me a discount because i am a member.
yes, the nieghborhood is not the best, but i never was hit up for money by street people as i had been a few years ago when i stayed at the Melbourne the first time.
i walked from the train station with my bike the first night.
they let me keep my bike in the lobby during the day when they were open.
it was a bit of a climb getting it up the stairs at night.
the lobby does close at 9 pm, so if you are arriving on the train from the west, you should hope that it will arrive by its schedualed arrival time.
they very generously let me have the $10 key deposit back the night before i left;
trusting me to leave the key as my train left at 8 am and the office opens at 9 am.
i didn't use the kitchen, but it seemed adequately equiped.
there is a small refridgerator in each of the private rooms, at lest there was in mine.
i never turned it on to know if it worked.
unless you can't do stairs, i recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank lazyrider
Reviewed November 15, 2008

It's a good place to stay. I had a great time there cause I met another brazilians and nice people too. The neighbordhood could be dangerous at night cause the streets are dark but at day everything's good. And it's pretty near to downtown where you can find a lot of places to shop, eat and have some fun. Just take a private dorm and you gonna be fine. Bathrooms and dorms are clean and the kitchen has some things that could be useful to you... I think that's it, if you are looking for a cheap place to spend one or two nights it's a good option.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank henriquevale
Reviewed October 2, 2008

I have stayed in many hostels, and never had a bad experience. Until now.

Here's a rundown of the problems with the Melbourne Hostel:

1. Site advertised private bathrooms. There were no private bathrooms.

2. I told them that my collegue would be arriving the next day. I gave them her name. They said that they would give her an extra set of keys when she arrived. They did not do this--instead, they made her wait for hours, until I arrived back at the hostel.

3. This was the clincher: They changed the front-entry locks WITHOUT NOTIFYING ANY OF US! One day our keys worked, and the next, they did not. I tried to buzz the manager--they answered, said that they were closed, and hung up. Additional attempts to contact them were ignored. So I was left, at 10 p.m. at night, sobbing and unable to enter my (relatively expensive) hostel. I had to wait until someone happened to come outside, thus allowing me to enter.

4. The neighborhood is somewhat sketchy. We witnessed drug deals on the corner. And there's a bus station directly next to the hostel, so it was noisy at all hours of the night.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 5, 2008

This hostel is the cheapest that I've seen in the US: $16 with hostel international or student card, and $19 without, and $3 linen rental. It's not an HI hostel --- they just accept HI membership for a discount. The inside is okay: bunkbeds, bathroom, fridges, microwave and electric plug-in burner are all adequate. Not spic and span, but just fine. What is sketchy is the neighborhood and the fact that this is a cash-only business. They take a $10 cash deposit for keys and sheets, and office is open at 7 am, so you can't get it back unless you leave after 7 am. A bus company operates right outside the hostel, apparently between here, Chihuahua, Kansas City, and El Paso, according to the sign outside.

When I arrived at the hostel at 8:30 pm, there were literally 50 people gathered on the sidewalk outside, and I had to mince around their suitcases and even a baby carrier and ask someone to move so I could open the front door. The buses start just before 5 am, which I know because they were right underneath my window. One morning at 4:30 am before the buses arrived, there were two men having a heated discussion for the next 30 minutes.

The area's safety is hard to gauge. It's pretty desolate and while close to downtown is clearly outside downtown --- the 4 or so blocks past the big buildings feel really long if you're walking late at night as a woman.

The hostel describes itself as conveniently located next to the light rail, which it is, but that means that you hear a bell clanging right past your window every 10 minutes starting around 4:30 or 5 am, especially in the summer when the windows are open, which they have to be because there's no AC. The lack of AC is actually perfectly fine --- I was here when the daytime temperatures were in the 90s and yet it got cool at night, so sleeping was comfortable.

That said, I don't regret staying here. I wake up early anyhow, and I had someone to walk me back both nights I stayed. People should definitely know these things before they make plans to stay here, though.

2  Thank chiwoman617
Reviewed June 13, 2008

For $28.50, including tax, I stayed in a secure, clean room with a ceiling fan, a sink, and a comfortable bed. The assistant manager was pleasant and helpful, allowing me to print my airline boarding pass the morning of departure. She also runs the cafe downstairs where I enjoyed a fresh cup of coffee and bagel. The guests were quiet and respectful, and except for some crazy wee-hour taxi hubris at the corner, I had a peaceful night's rest.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank RockyRippleGal
Reviewed April 10, 2008

I recently stayed at the Melbourne Hostel in Denver, CO. March 22-28, 2008 to be exact. I must say the stay was a lot better than I imagined. First let me say, the building is old, and if you are used to luxury, this is not the place for you.

When checking in, you go into this lobby area kinda hard to find and get a two keys. One to get into a security door outside, and one to get into your room. My room was very nice. I had a private room for $34 a night. It was plain but nice. There was no TV,radio, or private bath. You basically have a sink, bed, dresser, nightstand, and a refrigerator. The bathroom is at the end of the hall. The bathroom was right next to my room.

The bed was comfortable and it was fairly quiet at the hostel. The last couple nights, it was a bit loud as people were using the bathroom but that was it. There is a mexican bus company that picked people up around 8 so it got a bit busy then, but not bad at all.

The area around the hostel might seem off-putting. It's a bit rundown but is safe. I walked to the main downtown area two blocks from the hostel. It was safe and I wasn't bothered. Just don't go north and you'll be fine.

The only thing I didn't like about the hostel, besides not having a tv, was the fact that your not allowed to eat in your room. the cool thing is that there is free WI-FI, though it suffered periods of inconnectivity while I was there.

All in all I had a great stay and would stay there again when I visit Denver

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo