“just so so”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Denver
Melbourne International Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #8 of 16 Specialty Lodging in Denver
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“just so so”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

If you're looking for a cheap place to stay in the city of Denver, you could stay here for one night ($40 private for two people). It's a funny place. The floor and the bed couldn't be squeakier. The bed is pretty lousy, too. The night clerk was friendly, but whoa, the guy/manager in the morning was as rude as could be. Left me with such a bad taste in my mouth. Lots of old men seem to live here.

Room Tip: Be sure you don't get the rooms smack next to the bathrooms at the end of the hall.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Let me start by saying this review is based on my TERRIBLE correspondence with the MANAGER (thats right, the guy IN CHARGE).

I sent him an email asking how the online rate of a particular room ($40/night) was going to be charged based on the occupancy of that room (each person vs total), and maybe a question or two on some of the policies there (My email was literally 6 sentences long. Not a whole lot). This is the response I received:

"My name,

That is the discount rate for the room.

Gary."

Including my name and his name, he responded with a total of 10 words. It would've only taken an extra minute or two to say:

"that is the discount rate for the room. The real rate is ___ and is charged based on _____."

Again, this is the GUY IN CHARGE. When I called to find out their rates over the phone and inform the manager of the poor customer service, I was told "Gary," the very person responsible for my complaint, was in fact the manager...

If the manager can't even take the time to respond to an eager traveler's EMAIL, I highly doubt the service at Melbourne is even remotely close to good.

I do not recommend this place. At least not if you want to be treated like a human being.

Room Tip: Rooms in a completely different hostel are best.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Denver hotels

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stopped in yesterday to get a price quote And was told by the owner/manager that They may not be able to accommodate me because I am American And they had too many Americans staying already. I asked for a private room knowing that they rent them always when they can accommodate. After having lunch with my mother we stopped back by to rent a room They reluctantly rented me the room and everything seemed fine. When it came time to check out in the morning I ran into the owner in the hallway. He said "do you have money for today"I said not on me but I can be back in about an hour with money. He replied " no, I need cash and I don't know what your UP TO! You came here with your MOTHER yesterday...... No, no just give me the keys"

By the way, I'm a perfectly straight person, Just needed a place to stay for a few days and this seems like a cheap reasonable option. I just broke up with my girlfriend and let her stay in the apartment after the break. I don't do anything Illegal I keep to myself I'm quiet and I have to say I'm a nice person.

So this makes me ask myself what kind of people do they want staying here?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 3, 2013

No, it's not the prettiest street in Denver. It's not the prettiest of buildings either...but it's definitly not the hellhole or ghetto some reviews make it out to be.
As long as you realize it is a hostel and not a 'real' hotel you're just fine. Despite it being pretty old, the rooms and facilities are clean. It is a bit of a squeaky building so if you're a (really,really) light sleeper, bring some earplugs.
There is no airconditioning so it can get warm in the summer, although the ceiling fan takes away the worst heat.

It is only a short walk from down town, and walking back on to nights it felt perfectly safe. The only people on the street were some people outside the Mercury cafe...

If you're looking for a affordable place for a couple of nights in Denver, this'll do just fine.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank YerBruv
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have often stayed at this place when doing an overnight in Denver. The place is old and it has a long term guest policy. The long term guests are mixed bag. You can meet some cool travelers from other parts of the country, or transient, state welfare people who are on some half-way house transition. The hostel is right near downtown and some cool bars, which is a good thing. There is an eclectic Mercury Cafe nearby that serves decent food and coffee. Some of the workers there are a little rude because it is one of the main hipster places in the city. The bald guy manager with glasses is not friendly and somewhat rude.

The problem with the place is the kitchen. The management are too cheap to get a stove or an oven. There is only a microwave and a hot plate. The hot plate doesn't even work that well. A hostel can do better than that.

The private rooms are decent and they have room, but there are no private bathrooms. They have sinks, a thin bar of soap and a towel. You will have to share the bathrooms with all of the other guests, so bring flip flops for the showers.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Salina M
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Spent about a week there when I showed up in Denver looking for a job. I was just a kid. No shortage of street kids in Denver, but I had enough for a private room. The place downstairs back then was a laundromat. The guy who owned it was a former astronaut, great guy who heard I was lookin for work. He clipped out classified ads for me and gave them to me every morning. Don't know if the fellow is still with us, but he was a good guy. Back then, every private room had a metal cage door inside the regular door. So at night it was a little like being in jail. But on the other hand it was safe enough to leave your stuff in the room.

At the time this fit in with the whole Neal Cassidy death wish vibe, I guess that's what I was looking for. Anyway it was cheap and the laundry was discounted if you stayed there because I think the astronaut's wife owned the laundromat downstairs.

Hostelling in the US isn't like hostelling in Europe. At the time I'd consider this an average or even above-average hostel - not hotel, or even motel. It's close enough to walk to downtown and lodo. But times may have changed. And looking back at it, it was pretty much a great place if you were a bum. Last 10 years I visited Denver I stayed at the Red Lion where there's a nice bar on the top and no cage on the door. But I still get a little nostalgic for this place, in a weird kind of way.

Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank joshstrike
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Terrible, terrible, terrible. The worst part of this crapnest is the crabby, dishonest bald guy at the front desk. He was completely worthless and not a pleasure to deal with. I'm guessing he is a non-Colorado native. The lodging is disgusting, old, and stinks. There are live-in, nontraveler tenants that steal whenever possible. If something gets stolen, baldilocks at the front desk will refuse to do anything. Maybe he's the thief???

Try another hostel where the cockroach population is significantly less and where residential roaches are confined to crawling only on four legs.

Room Tip: Choose a park bench over any bed in this sewer hole.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo