“Great hotel for the price”

11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #105 of 160 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel for 4 night now. First of all I own a retail consulting company. The manager mike was great. The hotel is very clean and even though I had a shared bathroom it was just around the corner. Had a TV in my room and a wash sink. Yes even free cable and I was very surprised with the guest entrainment room with flat screen TV and full kitchen. All for around 33$ per night . Heck the parking at the hilton was 28$ a night. Here u get a safe clean room for under 35 bucks. Don't know why all the bad reviews this place is great for location and what you get for the price.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank kiddavidz
EleventhAvenue, Owner at 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment, and thank you for your comment, it is good to hear of good experiences. Thank you again. Jim

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I had a great time at this place until it was time to check out. All of the staff were great except for the two old guys in the morning at the front desk. These two guys should fire each other then hire one new person to do both of their jobs. I went down early to check out, and an older gent started letting people butt in front of me. by the time I got to check out, 5 people had butt in front of me in line, some of whom had been instructed to by this older gent. I was not in a hurry, but I am disabled, and was surprised how people would push me out of the way like that. The two guys doing check out were very rude, and actually told people to go in front of me, amazingly rude... If I ever go back to this place, it will be to tell these two pieces of crap where they can stow it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank menotyou2013
EleventhAvenue, Owner at 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

I am glad that your stay went well. Your checkout is a problem to me. On the first of November I held a staff meeting addressing some of the reviews that have come down the pike in the last 30 days. I apologize for the treatment you received on checkout, I am not sure what happened for this treatment but it will not happen again. I am truly sorry for your checkout experience. Thank you for taking the time to voice your concern.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at the 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel in a double private with shared bathroom. The hostel was in a great location just 4 blocks from the end of the free 16th Street Mall ride and within walking distance of most of Denver's sights. The hotel was in a very old building as the receptionist proudly told us 'its over 100 years old' which did give it a bit character but did mean it didn't have any mod cons! The room was basic but okay for our short stay. There was nothing special about the hotel or the room but it was a good price and in a great location.

Find out more about our big adventure and where we are going next at chipofftheoldblog.com

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am glad that you did not have a complaint, But we understand the limits of the age of our building. We are working on updating the Hotel, and have a percentage of it done, but it is a large task that is taking time and money. We are working on it all the time. Thank you again.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

The hotel is very old but well maintained. My room was very clean and fresh, but not in any way "modernized, for example the room had a footed bathtub, no shower, and a very simple sink, no vanity counter. All this was completely adequate for my stay, and in fact offers a bit of charm if that is your style. The lock and key on the door was also primitive compared to the modern computerized card keys, but OK, I'm not a security freak and a plain old brass key worked fine for me. One bothersome matter was that it took an incredibly long time for hot water to make it to the sink in my room. That was more an aesthetic annoyance in an otherwise environmentally conscious city to be pouring a couple gallons of water down the drain waiting for it to warm up. Also, the ancient building, although solid brick, was a bit lacking in soundproofing, so I did hear TVs in other rooms, or people talking in the hall, from time to time during my stay. It was generally very quiet, but when any noise was present it came right through the windows and walls. I was attending a conference held in the Sheraton Downtown, about a 15 minute walk from the 11th Ave. Hotel and Hostel, and my room rate of around $50/night was more than $100/night less than the conference rate in the Sheraton; definitely an outstanding saving in exchange for the short walk. Indeed, the walk into the Sheraton conference rooms takes you by the hotel "torture chamber" of exercise machines -- the walk from the 11th Ave. Hotel even provides the exercise without an exercise room in the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the center of the hotel might get hot water faster. Judging from the lack of soundp...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for posting a review. I appreciate the good review, and the negative things let us know where to focus our improvements. With the age of the building we are constantly working on it to provide the best value for the money. We have been in a multi-year process of updating the entire Hotel, and it has come a long way, but we still have a way to go. Thank you for your understanding in this matter, and thank you for taking the time to post.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Firstly I will say the staff are very nice and were very helpful. We chose the bedroom with private bathroom but we didn't stay once we saw the room. The private bathroom doesnt actually have a shower and the hotel itself badly needs updating. We did not get our money back when we asked to leave and the manager was supposed to call us the next day and never did. Very disappointing.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alfie57123

I am sorry for your experience. That is not the way that I intend any guest to be treated. I held a staff meeting on Nov 1, and this review was one of the items in discussion. I am sorry that the Manager did not call, weather the message did not get passed on, or the manager dropped the ball I do not know. I am truly sorry, that is a lack of professionalism on our part. Yes the Hotel is lacking in some areas, but showers are an area that we are aware of, and are currently updating the Hotel to provide more modern conveniences for our guests. This is a multi-year process that is only at this time partially done. Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

It's fine in general. Interesting people and good room. The closet is very narrow though (like the ones in the swimming pools) so don't bring a suitcase. The place is rather good. Not too far from downtown

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for writing, I had hoped that your stay was better, but I understand if it was not. We strive for better, and to provide a good value for the money that you spend with us. This lets me know that we have to try to do better. Thank you again for your time.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

the 11th avenue was a pleasant surprise for an out-of-stater who has seen plenty of international hostels. the staff was accommodating & friendly. the room was clean, blankets cozy, and shared bathroom in good condition. i also found it to be a great location for bumming around the city. well done 11st street hostel!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! It is so good to get good reviews. This lets us know that we hit the mark for a guest. Thanks for taking the time to post a review.