“Friendly staff, clean rooms for a good price”

11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #104 of 159 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I was staying just for one night on a transit to Chicago, and chose 11th Avenue Hotel and Hostel for my night's rest.

It wasn't much to expect for a hostel, a nice clean room, fresh linen, free wifi, a pantry/lounge for travellers to use, and proximity isn't that bad from a few of the attractions. I was there in winter, so it wasn't much to expect for tourism, none of the agencies have trips to the rockies (which I really hope to do), and those that do aren't really reliable (see my review for Colorado Sightseer).

I was at the hostel way too early before check-in time, and the front-desk staff was helpful enough to take care of my backpack, and showed me to the lounge to rest and relax, and told me of places I can visit while waiting for my check-in. I'm really thankful for that since I've been told to "come back later" for a lot of hostels I've been to, and it isn't really helpful and easy-to-travel with a backpack. Kudos to the staff!

I wouldn't mind staying at this hostel, peaceful and quiet, clean shared spaces with smiles from the staff.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kangsheng
Nancy I, Owner at 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thank you for choosing us for your stay through Denver. I am glad that your experience was good. That lets us know that we are doing our job. We will continue to strive to be better, and different that the status quo.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

It was the best choice for two immigrants who looked for a housing for rent, there was a computer, some facilities and good location, not far from the city center. We just wanted to stay two-three nights, we used it for sleep, computer and shower and lived in a twin room.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for leaving a comment, and thank you for choosing us.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

This hostel is just at the average. Plus: it has a refrigator, TV and a microwave in the rooms, clean rooms and bathroom shared for six people, the internet runs quite quickly, you get a discount if you are a student, walking distance to downtwon. Minus: althought it was snowing outside, the heating was not running before 8pm and there were no blankets left at the reception, the building is very old and there is a club and a busy street nearby, so noise is to be expected, no free parking available. Good for one or three nights.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for choosing us and saying the nice things about your stay. Yes we were built in 1903 and lack some things like parking. Please remember that when we were built people walked, and used horses, not cars. But like you said, we are walking distance to most of what people like to do. Denver also has a great transit system that saves on auto pollution, and the Denver B-cycle has a kiosk across the street. Also we are Downtown where it is busy, and a lot of people are outside, but then again we are Downtown where that is common. Sorry that it was cold when you were here, we now place extra blankets at the front desk because of your suggestion. Thank you.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was having trouble choosing a hostel in Denver, having read several reviews. I chose this hostel in the end and wasn't disappointed. The staff are super friendly and helpful. I didn't really get to meet anyone else in my room as I was usually gone all day and using the hostel just to sleep. I found it strange that they assigned me a top bunk when there were bottom bunks available. The bedroom ad kind of a separate lounge which was great (TV, fridge, sofa!)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank aoife_ob
EleventhAvenue, Owner at 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you for that review. I am glad that you had a good time while here. If the top bunk was not satisfactory, next time ask for a bottom. If some one is not scheduled for the bed, we will be glad to put in it. Thank you again. Jim Ilg

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This seemed to be the predominant attitude during my stay at the 11th avenue hotel. No frills but you are in out of the cold. At 8:00 AM they bang on your door to see if you are staying over for another day even though check-out time isn't until 10:00 AM. I also encountered a someone I thought might well be homeless while using the microwave oven. She told me to "stop whistling" and then called me a "BI@CH" when I refused along with some other choice words. Theres also a night supervisor named Frank that is Barney Fiffe incarnate with the personality of an ashtray. Anyway, for the money you can do much better unless of course you don't mind paying both a key and towell deposit and interacting with recent parolees that get a voucher to stay there. Finally, whatever you do, make sure you have shoes or flip-flops on when you go into the lobby; they come unglued about that too. Even if you get locked out of your room and left the key inside. OMG.... If I could get into my room for shoes, I wouldn't be at the front desk. Also, the TV picture quality sucks! My TV was circa 1974.

Room Tip: If you stay in a room facing Broadway, it can get loud because of several late-night clubs nearby.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank 990,115

Thank you for taking the time to write, even the negative response. I would have liked to speak with you, and your situation while you were here. We don't always have the answers, but we do try. Thank you again. Jim Ilg

Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

The staff are not very friendly apart from one of the ladies who work on the desk, the owner was extremely rude and obnoxious. The building is old and not well kept, everything creeks and makes annoying sounds which leads to terrible sleep on old mattresses. Very few amenities, ok location, but won't be back there.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Brucemarais

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, even though it is not a real swell one. I apologize that your stay was less than what you expected. Yes we are an older building, we have wood floors that creak, and a whole host of other older items that I feel adds to the charm of an older Hotel. In all the chain hotels that I have stayed in, they are all the same. Bland, and no character. We are trying to be different. I hope that we can learn and grow from this. Jim Ilg

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Me and my friends stayed here over new years. It was a dirty establishment that didnt provide any necessities such as hand soap. Had to put a deposit down for towels and keys. The room was dirty and loud from noises coming from inside and outside the hotel. No one got a good rest during our stay. The front desk attendants were incompetent to handle any situation. I would not recommend this place even to the economy traveler.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank caitlin726
EleventhAvenue, Owner at 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a response, even a negative one. I am truly sorry for your experience at the 11th Avenue Hotel and Hostel. As a budget Hotel/Hostel we do not provide some things that you may be accustomed to in other places, that in downtown Denver are 200-1000 times more expensive than us. We are a budget Hotel and Hostel in the middle of Downtown and can be noisy since it is Downtown. I like the hustle and bustle of downtown, that may not be some peoples cup of tea. If you could e-mail me the incident that you experienced with the front desk so that we could continue to improve, that would be appreciated. It can be found at 11thavenuehotelandhostel.com. Thank you again for taking the time to write. Jim