“Good location, fair price, no complaints”

11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #105 of 160 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed September 5, 2011

This place is in a convenient location. Near the art museum, state capitol and 5 blks to the 16th st. mall. The staff was polite and helpful. I got a private room for about $40/night. It had a basic bed, TV and sink in the room. There is no A/C in the building.

The hostel has free WiFi, but can be intermittent. The common room/lounge has a microwave, fridge, flat screen tv and an internet computer. But, whenever I checked, there was hardly anyone in the room...which was a disappointment. I like to make friends with other travelers.

The hostel is a 2 blk. walk from Dazzle jazz club, and from ah few other nightclubs.

The place was under renovation during the stay. Bathrooms/showers were recently renovated (on 2nd floor), and were clean.

You may need to let the shower run for a few minutes before there is hot water, but it eventually heats up.

Be sure to ask for a no-smoking room.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
EleventhAvenue, Owner at 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2011

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I am glad that you had a pleasant stay. Thanks for letting us know about the WIFI. I will check into it and see the issue. We might need to bump up the capacity. We are trying to encourage travelers to use the community room more, but it is new to us and guests forget to ask for access sometimes. Yes we are close to alot to do here in Denver, and the Colorado History Museum opens in 1 month from now! Should be exciting, and at the end of our block no less. Thanks again for your time.

Reviewed August 26, 2011

When i got to the Hotel I was greeted by a man name Michael. He was very polite and helpfull about things to do in the area. I lost my computer at another hotel and Michael went to his car and got a flash drive so I could save all my ticket information and itinerary so i could print it up. He even gave me the flash drive to keep. I wanted to thank him again. The Hotel itself is pretty cool. Room was clean. If your into history of places you stay this is one place you should check out. Thanks again 11th ave Hotel and see you in 6 months....

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for writing a nice review. I like to see that we were involved in turning something bad into good. We look forward to your return trip through Colorado. Thanks again!

Reviewed June 6, 2011

Can't beat the cost! If you plan properly, you can make the best of your experience.

1. Bring your own linen sheets (that you intend to leave when you depart).

2. Plan ample time for the water to heat up in the shower before jumping in (and wear flip flops!)

3. Ask for non-smoking room with a window facing the street - not the back smoking pit!

I would definitely stay here again. The room was relatively clean (except the sheets - I found hair on them), and the hallway was quiet. Staff were fine. TV and wifi were much appreciated.

Yes, there were some questionable people staying at the hostel/hotel - didn't look like travellers or backpackers. A few sketchy people around the street area. I had no problems at all and kept to myself the entire time.

For a cheap and no frills traveller like myself, I was quite content with the experience and cost. Would definitely go back if I ever find myself in Denver again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
EleventhAvenue, Owner at 11th Avenue Hotel & Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Even the items that we are improving on. Yes downtown city's like Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, and yes even Denver, have a colorful array of person's on the streets, ally ways, and sidewalks. 11th Avenue Hotel And Hostel is no exception being in downtown, close to all there is to see and do in Denver. I do appreciate that you would stay here again. That means and says a lot! The showers can take awhile to heat up, (60-90 seconds) depending on the time of day, (many people shower in the morning) or your proximity to the water heater, the further away from the middle of the building, the longer it takes. As I have said before, this building is 107 years old as of this writing and I get to work with what I got until we can improve on each item. Which we will never stop trying to do. 11th Avenue Hotel And Hostel strives to provide all guests a clean, safe, and economical option for staying in Denver. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed May 19, 2011

Remember the movie Se7en? Ok, not that scary but this is one cheap hotel. Take a look at that picture. It looks like a college dorm from a Target ad. It's nothing like the real thing. The hostel is basically some vietnam war era hospital beds in a dark basement. Needless to say, I opted for a private room.

Now, I'm not picky about hotels. In fact, my favorite is Motel 6. But this place is something else. Its in an old building and you can tell its old. There's sparse parking behind the hotel which shares a back alley with some bars. Drunken college aged students abound at night which can make sleeping at night uncomfortable.

The carpet was old and worn and the floors creaked and felt like you might fall through. There's no private bathroom. If you need to, you'll have to use one of the community bathroom's in the hall. The room's are sparse. Just a bed, a TV, and a vintage sink. Vintage because they probably haven't changed it since Roosevelt was in office.

On the plus side, the receptionist was really nice. I stayed several nights without any incidence or bugs for that matter. The building is falling apart though.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank YouMustVoteNato

Thank you for your review, even the painful stuff. The negative elements that you mention is NOT what the 11th Avenue Hotel And Hostel is about. It seems like the staff placed you in a room that has not been re-done. We are in a multi-year remodel process to up grade our rooms. Not all rooms are done at this point, sorry to say. Same with bathrooms, although more are getting done every week. It is a old building, (107 years old at this writing) that the previous owner had let fall into disrepair, and I have the opportunity to restore. My 89 year old grandma doesn't work like she used to, and neither does this building, but we don't throw her out just keep putting new parts in her to keep her spry. That is what we are trying to do here as well. Again we are sorry for your experience, and we will keep working to improve our establishment.

Reviewed April 7, 2011

Very near to 16th Street Mall and the central museums. Neighbourhood was absolutely fine.

Our room was very large and clean although it smelt of stale smoke as did the rest of the hotel. At first I was dubious but the place was actually very safe and clean. The showers were difficult to figure out but did have hot water if you turned it all the way and then back to 8 o'clock.

There seem to be lots of people living there but we never had any trouble at all and the staff were as attentive as a normal hotel.

It was fine for us as we were out during the day. It isn't perfect but it's central, safe and very good value.

• Stayed: April 2011

Thank you very much. We will keep striving for higher levels of service. Thanks again.

Reviewed November 6, 2010

Very good hotel with good rates. Love the free wi-f- and computer for customer use in the lobby.
Very good mananger and staff \. They treat the customers very good. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. Close to all attractions and everything you need downtown, buses, stores, library, etc.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you! We are trying everyday.

Reviewed October 2, 2010

I have low standards, but there was no hot water in the showers, and our sheets had not been changed when we arrived. So we slept on sheets and pillows with hair, bugs, brushing off small crumbs all night. Cigarette holes are OK with me, but not a stranger's short and curlies. Roaches had a field day in my room. This is standard for $10 in Mexico, but not for $55 per room in the USA. But it's a great, convenient neighborhood, not dangerous at all. Loved the pawn shop downstairs.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank KillerRabbit

Thank you for your response even though it is not pleasant. I first want to apologize for the negative experience that you had at the 11th Avenue Hotel And Hostel. That is NOT what we are about. I strive to provide a clean, safe, and economical place for budget minded travelers to enjoy. It appears that we failed you on those counts. Although I am unfamiliar with who you are and the room that you had, I wish that if something is substandard that guests would contact me at the time of service so these situations can be rectified then and there. Again I apologize for your experience. Jim Ilg