“5280 Restaurant Week at Prime”

5280 Prime Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
5280 Prime Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #888 of 2,986 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: Gastropub, American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 15th St.
Denver, Colorado
“5280 Restaurant Week at Prime”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

For you out-of-towners, every year most of the up-scale Denver restaurants participate in 5280 Restaurant Week which is a week when they offer a 3-course (sometimes more, sometimes less) meal for $30 per person. The proportions are a little smaller than what you would get if you were to order off the menu but it's designed to give people a "sample meal" for these particular restaurants. It's a cool offering and one that my wife and I look forward to and take advantage of every year. We had never eaten here before so this year we tried 5280 Prime Steakhouse and we were not disappointed!

First - I've read some reviews prior stating that this place was old and dirty. We did not see this being the case at all! The décor was definitely old-school (dark wood paneling on the walls, old framed pictures throughout, etc.) but we thought it added to the ambiance. We also found the floor, tables, etc. clean. The only part of the restaurant we were not impressed with were the bathrooms, they definitely looked like they could use a face-lift and cleaning.

We ordered two glasses of wine at the bar and when I received them one had lipstick around the rim. We're not off to a good start! We had to wait about 10 minutes to be seated, not a big deal except for the fact that we had reservations and it was a Monday night. A nice bread selection w/ butter was put on the table as soon as we sat down. We're bread-faces and made short work of it. For starters I had the wedge salad w/ bleu cheese (good salad but that was some serious bleu cheese, wow) and my wife ordered the lobster bisque (she liked).

For the main course my wife ordered the 6 oz filet mignon & lobster tail. Her filet was very tender, juicy and delicious. Her lobster tail was tiny but she enjoyed it none the less. I ordered the 8 oz buffalo filet and thought it matched her filet in quality. I could hardly even taste the difference between the two. For sides we split the au gratin potatoes and steamed broccoli (neither were anything special but we still enjoyed). For dessert we split the flourless chocolate cake (not bad) and crème brulee (very good).

My only other complaint was that the service was average to say the least. Sometimes when you order off the 5280 menu servers view you as a cheap-skate figuring they're not going to make any $ off of you so why put forth the extra effort? Our server wasn't rude or unprofessional, we just didn't see her as often as we felt we should. One more note - there is valet parking but it isn't free, costs $8. Not too bad when you consider the cost of downtown parking elsewhere.

Anyway, we enjoyed our night out, our meal and we were stuffed when we left (not always the case with a 5280 meal). I doubt we'll come back and pay full price for this particular restaurant but we have no regrets either.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Legamania

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Very good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Great food, cool atmosphere. We had the buffalo filet with apricot glaze which was excellent. Mashed potatoes and creamed spinach were also tasty.

• Visited February 2014
“eat at the bar!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

This is a classic, old-school steak house, with great dry-aged steaks. If you eat in the restaurant, you will be served massive steaks at over $40 per. And they are great if that is what you want. Or you can go sit in the bar area and order a 10oz sirloin or 10oz prime rib, both from the same cuts that are served in the dining room, both with a loaded potato and veggies, and both for only$15 each! Best bargain in Denver.

• Visited January 2014
“Excellent steakhouse choice for Denver”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

I took a colleague to Prime and was pleased with both the menu and service. The staff are very friendly and skilled. The menu features game selections which I would suggest if you want to try something other than traditional steakhouse fare and want to ensure that it is properly prepared. I would recommend Prime as a must do when in Denver.

• Visited December 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent Steak Restaurant in Denver”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I booked this restaurant for New Years Eve dinner. Located close to 16th Street Mall and parking was easy.
Really nice restaurant, the staff were very friendly even though they had been very busy earlier in the evening. Service was really attentive and professional. It was a set menu for New Years Eve, but was really excellent. The lobster bisque was some of the best i have tasted. The entrees were steak and really good. Cooked just how we like it and New York cheese cake for dessert was great. Overall a great dinner and great experience. Certainly excellent value for what we paid!
We would highly recommend this restaurant if your looking for a great steak dinner in downtown Denver.

• Visited December 2013

Been to 5280 Prime Steakhouse? Share your experiences!