“a deliteful stay set back in time.”
Review of Holiday Chalet

Holiday Chalet
Ranked #7 of 11 Denver B&B and Inns
bristol vermont
“a deliteful stay set back in time.”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

At the Holiday chalet,my time there was very pleasant and comfortable.This very unique victorian B&B has a feel of its own If you are looking for place to stay that has room service,valet or lounge,I'm sure you will find a Plaza some where,Even though this place has non of those things,It is filled w/charm,and a very caring staff.Megan was very helpful and such a joy to chat with at Breakfast.Food to me was very good,and interacting w/ other guest made for a very family setting.I agree w/the person who said This the difference between hospitality and just a room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed there a few weeks back. It was clean, well maintained. I really enjoyed the quaint patio and the historic feel. The breakfast was amazing! They have a good selection of great items. I was served a specialty green chili burrito that knocked my socks off.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed October 7, 2013

OUTSTANDING... 5 Star is an understatement... It was just a joy to be a guest... I've traveled the world and know when the Management cares and when they are just going through the motions... Crystal Sharp - a true hands on owner - cares deeply... and that is the difference between hospitality and just a room... from the maid, to the cook, everyone was top shelf... when they say Bed and Breakfast, we are talking a picture perfect bedroom (10 foot ceilings - with crystal chandeliers) - and breakfast to die for, (I've never seen bacon that thick or had French toast so good) - ... WHAT A JOY !

Room Tip: Book early
New Lenox, Illinois
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Holiday Chalet used to be an elegant old home and was turned into a boarding house many years ago. The B&B owners try real hard to create the old Victorian look and I enjoyed the antiques. However, the kitchenettes are out-dated and could be eliminated. Too much of the place is worn and old and need to be up-dated. The bed was uncomfortable.

The neighborhood has some fantastic old mansions and seems safe enough by day, but get in and out fast at night. Parking is poor, though right on the busy street seems safest -- not behind the liquor store.

Crystal is an excellent hostess. She makes the place fun and lively. An art event takes place once a month. Artists and musicians stayed for the afternoon. Music played in the pleasant little courtyard. I also enjoyed Crystal's handmade clothing offered for sale. The breakfast was plentiful and very good. The place was full and everyone was having a good time and shared stories.

I would probably stay at the inn again, but my husband would not.

Room Tip: If you like old and authentic, you'll like Holiday Chalet. Our two rooms 332 and 232 were big. I...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

First let me say, I read the reviews and was well aware of the sketchy location and parking difficulties. However, upon arrival, Crystal helped me carry my huge bags (I was here to move my daughter into dorms at college) and showed me around the house, which I found interesting and eclectic.
Yes the location is on a street where the less desirable folk abound, but if you walk one door away you'll see that this lovely old house is surrounded by beautiful old houses from the heyday of old Denver.
Denver is amid a process of revitalization and this house is in the heart of an area that is the "new cool" places to live.
If you aren't intimidated by city life, however rough, once inside, the place has great character and charm. The room was comfortable and I loved the old steam radiator fixtures and old world accoutrements.
This wouldn't be the best place for families with kids, as the acoustics would probably interrupt other guests, but as a traveller looking for a unique place to spend a few days with an older daughter off to college, I found it just what I wanted!
Just make sure your expectations are in line and you won't be disappointed, but possibly find a place to return to.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank TheresaLasVegas
Waterloo, Belgium
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This was our first trip to Denver, which turned out to be somewhat of a disappointment to us as we are not accustomed to sharing the streets with junkies and zombies. That goes for all of Denver, not just for this particular review.

Had we known the neighbourhood beforehand, however, we would have missed out on this very charming place. Yes, it was a bit rough around the edges, but c'mon, it's a B&B not the Hilton. The hospitality we were met with by Crystal was genuine and our kids loved the place. Mark's breakfast service is to die for!

We stayed in the Deluxe suite, which hosted a family of five nicely, but please install an extra WiFi-router, so people don't have to sit in the hallway for internet access.

Charm, affordability, hospitality and Mark's pancakes would add up to five stars in better surroundings.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband was trying to surprise me with a one night stay at a lovely bed and breakfast. . Unfortunately this is not what happened when we arrived at Holiday Chalet and were forced walk around a line of homeless men with their grocery carts just to get to the front door as they screamed curses across the street at some men who were bunking up on a bench for the evening. The b&bs parking is conveniently shared in the back of a really rough bar and lounge so that you are forced to carry your luggage through the bar parking lot and then through an alley that is almost barred of by a small homeless community that were drunk and irate with each other only to emerge to be greeted by said cursing cart pushers. This was all very disarming for my husband and I as I am 6 months pregnant. The interior was pretty dingy and smelled old and unkept. From the prospective of someone who has been to some out standing vintage b&bs this one fell flat immediately. There is no community sitting area, decor was definitely vintage but either broken unpolished or severely mis matched and mis placed, pets are very welcome. The layout was very crammed and the kitchen area doubles as an eclectic clothing boutique. The rooms were very unsurprising and simple. .. the first one they gave us was down graded from our original purchase without us being informed or discounted and felt like a motel room in a foreign country compete with virtually no decor a ceiling fan from the 80s 10 cent ribbons tying back lace curtains that over looked the back yard and neighbors with NO privacy curtains and an odd waste of space 10x6 back bedroom with a painting of a naked woman on the wall. Needless to say this was unacceptable. . We asked why it wasn't what was in the picture we paid for. . We were informed that our room was down graded because they had given our room to someone else. Uh yeah. So they put us in a "better" room. .. This room at least had a measure of charm but paint was peeling off of the walls Window treatments were barely holding on and the decor didn't know if it wanted to be Victorian or from the 80s. Cobb webs dangled from a beautiful chandelier and the paint was barely applied to the walls. This room also had a microscopic bedroom attached to the main one, mattresses were painfully uncomfortable and there was a single bed right next to our full size mattress taking up all of the floor space. Night time noise was a nightmare. . Every silent shuffle, door slam, toilet flush or screaming sidewalk neighbor resonated through our room. Do not waste your money. ..

• Stayed August 2013