“Worst experience ever”

Ranked #7 of 11 Denver B&B and Inns
Montreal
“Worst experience ever”
Reviewed April 13, 2008

We should have write this review before, but the experience was so bad that we had to let months pass... If you don't have the patience to read it until the end, just remind that this B&B is a nightmare.

1. OVERBOOKING AT THE HOLIDAY CHALET
First, let's say we booked about 3 months before our trip to Denver. We came from Montreal by plane and it was our first time in Denver, so we wanted to be sure there wouldn't be bad surprises after our arrival. We even told the owner that our flight was planned to land on the evening and she said there were no problem at all, that they would wait for us. (Let me laugh!)
After a weird taxi trip (the driver, obviously, didn't know the city that well, and even not how to accept a VISA card...), we finally arrived at the Holiday Chalet. We guess we don't have to say that we were extenuated after a 6 hours trip.
At the front desk, a young woman told us that she was not able to give us OUR room because they rented it. It was only 6 pm!

2. LYING AT THE HOLIDAY CHALET
We called the owner. On the phone, she first began to tell us that we didn't make the reservation the right way. We had to show the confirmation email SHE sent us before she understood it was her mistake.
Finally, she offered us a small bedroom (let's say a storage room) without shower and toilet, saying every other room was booked. She told us that we couldn't take a shower, but that there were a toilet near the kitchen.
That night, we noticed that there were a huge room next to ours with toilet and shower not rented at all (We washed ourselves there...)
Why couldn't she just rent us that room? Because we paid for a cheaper room? It was the least she could do after all that stress...

3. THE HOLIDAY CHALET'S BAD BREAKFASTS
Yes, we know, Denver is in the US, but you can eat well in the US too... We've often sleep in B&B and it was the worst breakfast we ever had. Ever. Aunt Jemima pancakes, that is all I can remember.
Afterwards, we just left as fast as we could from that nightmare inn!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jess_Do

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Denver
Reviewed December 8, 2007

The Chalet is a odd landmark on East Colfax Ave in Denver. The vicinity has been working hard the last few years to turn around the reputation of the neighborhood - and the Chalet is a little jewel that strives to make a difference. A bold and wonderful thing in our cynical world. We live in Denver, and had to find a place to stay temporarily while our Condo was being renovated. We have a dog, and finding something friendly was a challenge. We found the Chalet and met Crystal the owner, who welcomed us and Gabe (the dog) with such great hospitality, we will remember the 5 day visit forever. The hotel even had a dog sitting service for $20 a day with a 2 mile walk at the nearby glorioius Cheesman Park. Gabe was happy, the hotel was safe and clean, the rooms were quaint, low key, but just right - if you aren't the fussy Four-Seasons hotel type. Think of someone preserving your room in your childhood home. The mattress was a little soft, and the TV didnt have 150 channels, but you felt right at home. This hotel is off the beaten path and is perfect for those gracious people that find it and embrace it's purpose.

• Liked — Accomadates Dogs and has a dog sitting service - clean, safe, reasonably priced
  • Disliked — East Colfax has some undesirables
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed August 1, 2006

I have never felt compelled to write a negative review before, but this was a horrible experience:

1) This is a bed and breakfast. The breakfast was just gross. The website described a scrumptious breakfast with fresh fruit and lox. What I found was a bunch of bananas and an incompetent cook. In fact, I actually had to go to the kitchen to show the cook how to poach an egg. The same baked goods were there from Sunday through Tuesday. Tuesday evening they were replaced. The bagels were grocery bough and, the orange juice Minute Maid, In a B& B I have and image of fresh baked food.
2) I came in late and the AC was not great, but I was so tired I just went to sleep. When I came back the next day, the innkeeper asked me if she could have a repair man in. Why didn't she do that during the day when I was gone for 10 hours? I couldn't get into my room until after 9 PM. When I complained, the innkeeper suggested if I did not mind, I should lay down with the repair man still there! Or she said I could kick him out!!! (Weird.)
3) The wi-fi does not work. I verified this with several guests.
4) The neighborhood is gentrifyng and the B&B is just not in a safe area. Though the innkeeper told me I could walk around at night, I could not find a native to confirm that.
5) As a tourist, I did not find the innkeeper helpful in making plans. I asked where I could go to see a pretty view of Denver, but not so far out. She suggested I go to the highway.
6) This B&B advertises full kitchens. My kitchen did not have a microwave. When I travel I like to be able to use a microwave if I am paying for a full kitfchen.

In conclusion, this place would be better described as a well furnished youth hostel.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank RFGS
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2006

I stayed here five nights and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I was looking for someplace with character, and got it in spades--along with a nice room that had a full kitchen in a petite room with a big window. Although the hotel was almost full a couple of nights, there was very little noise. The breakfast menu was great, and Crystal always has divine baked goods and fruit available. (Weekend visitors should consider staying for tea.) I knew the decor would be flowery ("A Victorian B&B"), but found it more cozy than cloying. Photos and books everywhere lend another homey touch.

I'd heard from a former resident that Colfax was dicey in spots, and the other reviewer seemed to think so too, but it didn't bother me in the least. It certainly was convenient: it leads right into downtown and is also easy to find if you're driving from the airport. I loved walking around the neighborhood looking at beautiful houses. If you walk some distance on Colfax you might run into a few shady characters, but they're remarkably polite.

There's a trendy diner just down the block that has terrific neon, but our favorite was Mama's Cafe in the ugly former IHOP building a block or two across from the hotel: yummy food, great prices, and a charming hostess. A couple of Mexican restaurants are within 10 minutes' walk, too. We went to one on Colfax, going away from downtown (I forget the name) and liked it very much. Check out one of the many Ethiopian restaurants on Colfax going east.

The locked patio is another nice feature; I read and dozed there on a sunny afternoon. The only drawback to our experience was a mere folding door on the bathroom...not ideal even with a close companion.

The lovely Crystal is a hostess par excelence, and I hope somebody makes a movie or sitcom about her and this unique b&b!

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed February 21, 2006

My dogs and I stayed at the Holiday Chalet for four nights. The primary reason I chose it was that dogs were welcomed.

It’s located on the corner of Colfax & High Streets. Colfax is a very busy street in downtown Denver. Buildings surrounding the Holiday Chalet on Colfax included liquor stores, fast food restaurants, diners, and lounges. On High Street, there were residences and some businesses. I felt comfortable walking my dogs on High Street, even when one of them had to go out at 1:00 a.m.

Parking was never a problem, and I always managed to find a space less than ½ block from the B&B. They do have a garage space that’s $5 per day when it’s available.

We were in room 4. The bedroom area included a double bed, nightstand, two chairs, and a little table. The room had its own little kitchen with a refrigerator, coffee maker, and oven. It also had a small sunroom. All rooms at the Holiday Chalet have a private bath. Mine was a reasonable size. The water pressure in the shower was fantastic.

Furnishings were a mixture of antiques and modern. None of the bathroom/kitchen fixtures were original. My guess is that the heating system IS original. Denver experienced record low temperatures the weekend I was there, but my room was never cold. There’s a window air conditioner for summertime.

The room was prettily decorated, and the bed was very comfortable. I occasionally heard noise from the hallway and other rooms. But, I never heard traffic noise. (Room 4 faces the B&B’s garden & High Street. Would think that rooms facing Colfax might have some street noise.)

Breakfast is served starting at 7:30 each morning. Unfortunately, I had to leave the B&B before 7:30. But, on the first morning Crystal (the innkeeper) got up early and fixed a very nice breakfast for another guest and me. There were always homemade baked goods in the breakfast room. There were also English muffins and cereal available for guests who were unable to come during regular breakfast hours.

I really enjoyed my experience at the Holiday Chalet. The B&B is lovely, and Crystal was very welcoming. Staying on Colfax may not be for everyone! But, the location was convenient for me, especially since it’s just two blocks from Cheesman Park.

• Stayed February 2006