“0/5 Would not stay again”

Hyatt Place Denver/Cherry Creek
Ranked #30 of 157 Hotels in Denver
GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Colorado, United States
“0/5 Would not stay again”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My Family and I are quite the travelers, my Grandma has stayed in a million hotels and she states that this one is by far the worst. I understand this hotel was opened after remodel for the first of October 2013, So I don't know the conditions of the hotel prior. To put it simply, the free WiFi was the saving grace of our trip. Due to it being close to Halloween, my Mother could only book a room here because everywhere else was booked, so It was a last minute decision, and a poor one. I don't even know where to start!
On the website(s), there is NO WHERE stating that Hyatt Place is a non-full service hotel. It's practically a motel. There is no valet, no one helping you with your luggage and it seemed they were short on staff. When my family did have interactions with the staff, they were moderately nice. When we first checked in, there was no one at the desk for a few moments but when a girl did get to the desk, she was quite nice. Because there was no room service, My mother and I spent a lot of time down at the bar/restaurant. This hotel claims they have Starbucks coffee, which my Mom ordered. The man and woman who were there at the time seemed unsure about which one of them was going to make it. The woman was obviously too lazy and began cheering on the man, who had no idea what he was doing. To say the least, the coffee was terrible. My brother also ordered a piece of cheesecake that was around the consistency of play-dough, it was also terrible. The breakfast was OK. It was displayed nicely and everything looked clean, however cleanliness is not a substitute for imitation eggs. The french toast was OK, Breakfast sandiwches were too salty. You know, the "All American Breakfast."

The rooms were a different story. My family was pleased with how roomy the room was, however the two queen beds were TERRIBLE, complete bricks. The pull out sofa bed was more comfortable than the actual beds. The sheets/bedding was horrible, they were stiff and noisy, like sleeping with a shower curtain or a piece of paper. There was also some staining on a few of the sheets that were questionable. The air conditioning/heater was the loudest thing we've ever heard, we couldn't even get the thing to work properly, as it wouldn't keep the room at a constant comfortable temperature. This weekend wasn't windy at all, however the large window in our room would constantly pop and crack loudly throughout the night/day. My mother thought it was strange that we had two beds, four people but only one sink in the bathroom. The maids seemed to skip out on cleaning duties as well. The toilet wasn't completely clean as well as they didn't remove any dishes or trash we had kindly gathered for them as there wasn't any liners in the trash cans; so my mother also played Maid and carried down most of our trash/dishes down to the lobby/restaurant.

Another few small things. When we first got into the hotel, we turned on the TV to a Hyatt commercial that stated, "Relax at Hyatt Place and take a dip in our pool.", HOWEVER, There is NO pool here, False advertising for this hotel. Another note, we had a fridge in our room, however it was never cold enough to keep any food cold and hardly kept our drinks cold.

The lowest rating we can give here is a one star, but My Family would rate it 0/5 stars and not recommend it.

We won't be staying here again for the obnoxious rate.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tasha E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We booked this hotel at the last minute because our original hotel was closed due to flooding. We got a brilliant deal because the hotel had only opened three days before we arrived.

We were very early, but thankfully were able to check in straight away. The desk clerk was very helpful, although was clearly still getting used to the computer system. We warned that the water would be off until late afternoon, obviously due to the remodel, but we went out so it didn't really matter too much.

The room was lovely. It was a good size, with a corner sofa under the window and a king bed and a massive HD TV. There was a fridge in the room. The bathroom had a lovely modern shower.

The breakfast was well-stoked, but was actually a bit disappointing. My expectations were quite high about the advertised 'kitchen skillet', but really there were just sausage and egg biscuits. There were many other items, though, and I did enjoy what I had.

The nice thing about the hotel is that if you forget items (hairspray, deodorant, mouthwash, etc), you can take them from a basket at the front desk. This was a nice touch.

The hotel has ample free parking. The hotel is quite a long distance from downtown Denver (by public transport it was a bus and a light rail journey), so it did feel a long way from the action, but it suited our purposes.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there about a few weeks after the remodel and while the overall 'surface' of the hotel seems updated there are some thing I guess you can't update. Take for instance the walls and sound... you can hear a LOT from the next room, the hall...even the windows somehow creak and pop... Hard to get a good nights rest. Also the house keeping staff seems to have not been upgraded much, there was hair on our bathroom counter and the toilet was not quite clean (gross). Not a horrible hotel and if you get a great rate but nothing to recommend.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Oakland, California
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Reviews prior to 10-1-13 can be ignored for the most part except for location comments. New chain, overall remodel. Rooms are large and nicely decorated. Bathrooms are roomy and shower enclosure in glass is a nice change from shower curtains and tight spaces. Great higher end towels. Nice rolling shades with enough blackout for good sleep. Noise level was average - heard plenty of slamming doors in the morning and the TV next door in the evening but overnight was pretty quiet. The beds though seem to me to be a really poor choice to cut cost corners - mine was super firm and I woke up after a few hours uncomfortable and with stiff hips. The sheets felt scratchy and cheap - maybe they'll soften over time but for now they were uncomfortable. Comforter OK. Breakfast was Standard American Diet style - all about processed, sugar and preservative-filled items - but no different from other chains and I'm sure many folks will be happy with it. The breakfast area was pleasant and at least the set up was nice with reusable dishes and silverware so lots of props for that instead of all the upsetting amounts of disposables in most places. Coffee was not great but not bad. 24/7 food service items had some decent choices for reasonable prices. Staff was pleasant though the front desk was understaffed when the bar was hopping and in the morning at checkout time. I had pretty significant key issues, but given that they were 'breaking in' the hotel and I had an opening special rate I don't fault them much for that. If you don't know the location do a little research - unless you have a car this is a tough spot and even if you do the rush hour traffic can make it seem a lot further from downtown than it is. Fitness center was clean, spacious, and included free weights, 4 treadmills, and other nicer machines but they didn't have wipes or cleaning spray to clean your machine before/after use. No pool or spa here. Overall it's a nice remodel but unless you are fine with very firm beds there are tons of other chain hotel choices in Denver.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
Reviewed October 8, 2013

You can always tell the difference between a place where the employees love their job and one where they are miserable and they hate it. At this hotel, they obviously are enjoying their new gigs as this shiny new Hyatt property, and it shows. The guy who checked me in was very friendly and gave me a little mini tour of the hotel after checking in.

This hotel has a bar in the lobby with an ironic twist - the front desk staff actually run back and forth between serving you at the bar and checking guests in up front. It's pretty entertaining to watch them run back and forth and they do so with a smile and a very friendly attitude. I'm sure once the hotel gets busier they will need a dedicated person to run the bar and serve drinks and food or they will not be able to continue providing the most efficient service.

The rooms are nicely redone, I love having a real couch to kick back and relax on in my room, and the beds were very comfortable. The bathrooms are very modern, complete with a frosted glass sliding privacy door, and a backlit mirror and nice warm-tone wooden vanity made by European designers Decolav. The shower has plenty of water pressure and hot water, and they provide some nice spa-quality soap and shampoos and SOFT towels!! I love hotels that have soft towels and not the sand paper ones.

The rooms have all the other amenities you can expect including an ironing board, coffee maker, and a larger (40+ inch) flat screen TV. The TV has a USB and HDMI port in the front so you can hook up your own devices, i.e. an AppleTV or a video camera. The clock radio has an external plug to hook up an MP3 player, and the closet is lit up which is a nice touch.

The beds are very comfortable although I didn't care much for the pillows, I guess I'm used to sleeping with a foam pillow so I didn't really care much for the super soft ones they had in there. Overall though, the room was quiet and we got a good nights sleep, even though the room was right by the elevator I never heard any elevator noises coming from our room.

Parking and wi-fi are free here. Note, the neighborhood does look a little sketchy, even though it says "Cherry Creek" there are good parts of Cherry Creek and some sketchy. Across the street there appear to be some interesting Asian businesses including a massage parlor and a few bars and a liquor store. There are some apartments adjacent to the hotel that don't appear to be the most high class rentals in town. We didn't have any issues, but better safe then sorry - don't leave any valuables in your car.

Overall, this is a very nice hotel especially for the deal we got on Expedia. The staff definitely seal the deal for me as they were the most friendly and accommodating hotel staff I've ever met. I wanted to buy a bottle of water and they ran out, so they went to the grocery store and bought a case of water and gave me a couple free bottles. That's what I call service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank djrobsd
Runaway Bay, Australia
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The hotel has been remodelled from another named chain. A lot of remodelling tends to be surface only however this hotel is new from top to bottom inside and out. What you see in the pictures is what you get. Service was outstanding from the day we arrived. Pam was extremely helpful especially as this was our first stop in Denver. Breakfast was very good.

Room Tip: Chinese restaurant across road Ming dynasty was very good.