“average food and dessert” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of D Bar Denver

D Bar Denver
Reserve with OpenTable
D Bar Denver is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 2,977 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Located in Uptown, just a short walk from the Convention Center and the 16th Street Mall, D Bar Denver is fun dining at it's finest. Food Network Celebrity Chef Keegan Gerhard and his team bring you seasonally inspired upscale comfort food and award winning desserts. Immerse yourself in the culinary sanctuary we call D Bar. The d in D Bar stands for drinks, dining, and dessert. Drinks - Whether it's our fresh roasted Allegro coffee, hand spun milkshakes, world famous vanilla bean lemonade or our custom cocktails, craft beers and thoughtfully selected wines, D Bar is sure to quench even the most discerning thirsts. Dining - Keegan and Lisa's passion for food and travel bring you breakfast, lunch, dinner and brunch menus showcasing food you know done well with a twist. Dessert - D Bar is the home of Denver's favorite desserts. Grab a treat out of the pastry case, order a custom cake for that special occasion or cozy up to the dessert bar where it's prime seating as you watch talented pastry chefs create imaginative plated desserts right before your very eyes. Dessert - it's kind of our thing ya know!
Whitehorse, Canada
“average food and dessert”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Went here based on recommendations from friends. It was an early dinner/late lunch.
I ordered a sandwich and had cake and milkshake. I can't remember which sandwich I ordered but it was okay. The dessert was also okay but none of the flavours were so outstanding that I wanted to come back and try some more.
For a dessert bar, I expected scrumptious desserts but it was rather pedestrian.
Service was friendly and attentive. I did a simple walk in without reservations as I was eating at 4pm.
The decor is a little cafeteria type with bar stool/chairs that weren't too comfortable for lingering. They have normal tables and chairs on their sidewalk patio and a few inside as well.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ChefKeegan, Owner at D Bar Denver, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to provide us with a review, we appreciate your feedback. We are sorry you did not enjoy your experience as that is never what we would strive for. While many people love our cake and shake we do understand that everything is not for everyone. We would absolutely love for you to give us another chance the next time you are in town and let us know what you think. Some fan favorites our the pizza salad sandwich and the mac and cheese (add tempura lobster)! Come 5pm we start our plated dessert at the dessert bar and that's always so much fun to sit there and watch the magic happen. Thanks again and we do hope to serve you again in the future! Cheers!

USA
“Save room for dessert!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

While the meal was amazing, the desserts were out of this world. The service was very good. There was a crowd waiting to be seated, but our seats were ready quickly. It was quite crowded, but once we were seated our group felt cozy and intimate. Really cool atmosphere! It was my birthday and I was so happy with the many chocolate dessert options on the menu. It was hard to choose. In the end, the chocolate cake and shake was my birthday pick. Wow! It's a birthday I wont forget. Best. Cake. Ever.

• Visited October 2013
ChefKeegan, Owner at D Bar Denver, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Hi Propell! Thanks for the great review and big thanks for letting us take part in your birthday celebration. Great choice on the cake and shake... can't go wrong there. Thanks for sticking out the crowd,we love that you felt intimate with your group once you got seated. Thanks again and we look forward to many more opportunities to serve you! Cheers
Pie Town, New Mexico
“Not very relaxing place for coffee and dessert”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

When someone suggests to me "Let's get a coffee and some dessert" I think of a place where you can linger for a while, have your coffee, have a pleasant conversation...That is definitely not D Bar. You walk in to a scene of mayhem, people standing around waiting for tables, servers hustling to keep up, a guaranteed 40 minute wait and then, after you've been seated, a feeling that you need to hurry it up so as not to keep others waiting for a seat. I've eaten in greasy spoon breakfast places with this kind of atmosphere, and it's what you'd expect there, but I didn't expect it or enjoy it at D Bar.

I'm still not clear on the concept, it's a dessert place but it's a bar, or it's a restaurant, the hostess asked when seating us if we wanted to order a glass of wine, I said no, she looked at me like I'd said something wrong, and when I thought that it actually would be a nice thing to get a cognac to go with my coffee, I found that it wasn't available--just a menu of sweet cocktails, to go with the sweet desserts, I guess.

The desserts were a mixed bag, some much more inventive than others. "Cake and shake" is exactly what it says, which doesn't seem worth waiting 40 minutes for, neither does a creme brulee, but the apple dessert was artfully presented. The pie spice souffle looked creative as well. The donuts holes with dipping sauces were really pedestrian. I have to hand it to the serving staff, though, in the midst of all the hustle and bustle they were unfailingly pleasant.

The place isn't cheap and I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just hit a nice restaurant later in the evening and see if they'd humor you with ordering just coffee and dessert. Dessert isn't a main event for me so I don't see the point in going through too much trouble to get it, but others may feel differently. If you're one of them, D Bar may be an okay option, just expect to compete with others for the privilege.

Visited October 2013
ChefKeegan, Owner at D Bar Denver, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Hi there! Thanks so much for taking the time to provide a review. While it doesn't sound like we were everything you hoped we would be, we appreciate your feedback. We would love for you to give us another try now knowing we aren't just dessert and coffee but instead a full restaurant. Although, if dessert, coffee and a good conversation is what you are after we can certainly recommend a few better times to come that I think would suit you :)

Usually daytime is a great time to avoid the crowd so stop by for lunch Tues-Sat and let us know what you think. We use Allegro Coffee which a local coffee company in Denver and that always pairs quite nicely with our daytime dessert menu. Also if you arrive before 6:30pm we typically can seat you before the hustle and bustle starts up for the evening. Thanks again for your review and we do look forward to serving you again soon! Cheers
Middletown, Connecticut
“Dessert First”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Unique, at least in my experience. A restaurant totally geared around dessert, seemingly offering "main courses" and wines, as almost an afterthought. Great service, great ambiance, high prices, outrageously good... dessert. Our waitperson insisted on leaving us a dinner menu, even after we had put in our dessert order. There was no way to "follow" those desserts, so we politely refused dinner :) It was quite unusual to sit at the bar, and where one would expect a bartender, seeing a "pastry chef" make these amazing creations.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ChefKeegan, Owner at D Bar Denver, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Hi there! Thanks so much for joining us for dessert! While we do have a lovely lunch and dinner menu we are so delighted you were able to really just enjoy the desserts. Isn't the dessert bar fun! We do appreciate you taking the time to provide a review and look forward to hearing what you think of our savory selection as well. Cheers
Boston, Massachusetts
“Delicious takeout cupcakes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

D Bar specializes in deserts with some small plates as starters. Small is good since you want to save room for their desert creations. D Bar is not very large even with its outdoor seating so we purchased some of their cupcakes to take home for after dinner. If their cupcakes are any indication, we want to go back to try some of their more complicated deserts eating in.

Visited October 2013
ChefKeegan, Owner at D Bar Denver, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Hi there! Thanks for the lovely cupcake review. We would love for you to come back and give our other food and dessert a try! We have a full lunch and dinner menu so come on back and let us know how everything is. If you get a seat at the dessert bar you can watch the plated dessert magic right in front of your eyes... prime seating if it's available :) See you soon! Cheers!