“Not very relaxing place for coffee and dessert”
Review of D Bar Denver

D Bar Denver
Reserve with OpenTable
D Bar Denver is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 3,272 Restaurants in Denver
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Description: Located in Uptown, just a short walk from the Convention Center and the 16th Street Mall, D Bar Denver is fun dining at it's finest. Food Network Celebrity Chef Keegan Gerhard and his team bring you seasonally inspired upscale comfort food and award winning desserts. Immerse yourself in the culinary sanctuary we call D Bar. The d in D Bar stands for drinks, dining, and dessert. Drinks - Whether it's our fresh roasted Allegro coffee, hand spun milkshakes, world famous vanilla bean lemonade or our custom cocktails, craft beers and thoughtfully selected wines, D Bar is sure to quench even the most discerning thirsts. Dining - Keegan and Lisa's passion for food and travel bring you breakfast, lunch, dinner and brunch menus showcasing food you know done well with a twist. Dessert - D Bar is the home of Denver's favorite desserts. Grab a treat out of the pastry case, order a custom cake for that special occasion or cozy up to the dessert bar where it's prime seating as you watch talented pastry chefs create imaginative plated desserts right before your very eyes. Dessert - it's kind of our thing ya know!
Reviewed October 20, 2013

When someone suggests to me "Let's get a coffee and some dessert" I think of a place where you can linger for a while, have your coffee, have a pleasant conversation...That is definitely not D Bar. You walk in to a scene of mayhem, people standing around waiting for tables, servers hustling to keep up, a guaranteed 40 minute wait and then, after you've been seated, a feeling that you need to hurry it up so as not to keep others waiting for a seat. I've eaten in greasy spoon breakfast places with this kind of atmosphere, and it's what you'd expect there, but I didn't expect it or enjoy it at D Bar.

I'm still not clear on the concept, it's a dessert place but it's a bar, or it's a restaurant, the hostess asked when seating us if we wanted to order a glass of wine, I said no, she looked at me like I'd said something wrong, and when I thought that it actually would be a nice thing to get a cognac to go with my coffee, I found that it wasn't available--just a menu of sweet cocktails, to go with the sweet desserts, I guess.

The desserts were a mixed bag, some much more inventive than others. "Cake and shake" is exactly what it says, which doesn't seem worth waiting 40 minutes for, neither does a creme brulee, but the apple dessert was artfully presented. The pie spice souffle looked creative as well. The donuts holes with dipping sauces were really pedestrian. I have to hand it to the serving staff, though, in the midst of all the hustle and bustle they were unfailingly pleasant.

The place isn't cheap and I wonder if it wouldn't be better to just hit a nice restaurant later in the evening and see if they'd humor you with ordering just coffee and dessert. Dessert isn't a main event for me so I don't see the point in going through too much trouble to get it, but others may feel differently. If you're one of them, D Bar may be an okay option, just expect to compete with others for the privilege.

ChefKeegan, Owner at D Bar Denver, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Hi there! Thanks so much for taking the time to provide a review. While it doesn't sound like we were everything you hoped we would be, we appreciate your feedback. We would love for you to give us another try now knowing we aren't just dessert and coffee but instead a full restaurant. Although, if dessert, coffee and a good conversation is what you are after we can certainly recommend a few better times to come that I think would suit you :)

Usually daytime is a great time to avoid the crowd so stop by for lunch Tues-Sat and let us know what you think. We use Allegro Coffee which a local coffee company in Denver and that always pairs quite nicely with our daytime dessert menu. Also if you arrive before 6:30pm we typically can seat you before the hustle and bustle starts up for the evening. Thanks again for your review and we do look forward to serving you again soon! Cheers

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Unique, at least in my experience. A restaurant totally geared around dessert, seemingly offering "main courses" and wines, as almost an afterthought. Great service, great ambiance, high prices, outrageously good... dessert. Our waitperson insisted on leaving us a dinner menu, even after we had put in our dessert order. There was no way to "follow" those desserts, so we politely refused dinner :) It was quite unusual to sit at the bar, and where one would expect a bartender, seeing a "pastry chef" make these amazing creations.

Hi there! Thanks so much for joining us for dessert! While we do have a lovely lunch and dinner menu we are so delighted you were able to really just enjoy the desserts. Isn't the dessert bar fun! We do appreciate you taking the time to provide a review and look forward to hearing what you think of our savory selection as well. Cheers

Reviewed October 13, 2013

D Bar specializes in deserts with some small plates as starters. Small is good since you want to save room for their desert creations. D Bar is not very large even with its outdoor seating so we purchased some of their cupcakes to take home for after dinner. If their cupcakes are any indication, we want to go back to try some of their more complicated deserts eating in.

ChefKeegan, Owner at D Bar Denver, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Hi there! Thanks for the lovely cupcake review. We would love for you to come back and give our other food and dessert a try! We have a full lunch and dinner menu so come on back and let us know how everything is. If you get a seat at the dessert bar you can watch the plated dessert magic right in front of your eyes... prime seating if it's available :) See you soon! Cheers!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Had called ahead to put my family on list to be seated. It was raining quite heavily. Hostess told us the wait would be around 45 minutes as they had just moved everyone in off the patio due to the weather. We showed up for a light dinner and dessert at 9 p.m. sharp and were told it would be another 30 minutes before we could be seated. I told her I called ahead and she had given me a time to be there. She apologized and said due to the weather they brought everyone in off the patio. I said she had already known that when I called. This place is extremely small inside so I understood her dilemma but felt she had totally misjudged the timing. When we asked her if we could take out some items instead, she said that would take at least 20 minutes. We left. I felt a nice gesture on her part would have been to ask the kitchen to speed up our order. The next day, we went again to sample the dessert and it was good. So the first time I would rate it a 2, the 2nd time a 4, therefore it gets only an average rating from me.

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

We tried 3 different nights to dine here
1. Night one ; hour wait, wouldn't call to notify us a table was open.
2. Night 2 : went in and told an hour wait. We said fine, told them we would come back in 45 minutes after a walk around the block. Called us 20 minutes later, so we started back. By the time we go there they already gave away the table.
3 night 3: same story, hour wait, no holding a table. They graciously offered tonsppit out party into 2 to seat us on opposite ends of the place.

This place.may makengood desserts but they have a lot to learn about service. Would love to review the food, but could not get past the hostess to even get a table 3 nights in a row.

I say take.your money elsewhere like did.

ChefKeegan, Owner at D Bar Denver, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Hi there! Thanks so much for voicing your experience. We of course would never want your review to be based on the wait alone and we can only imagine how frustrated you were to try us three nights in a row with no success. However, we would love for you to come back and try out the full D Bar experience! Some of the best times to come are a little earlier in the week between 5-6:30pm if you can get there by then. Monday and Tuesday is typically a less busy night so that could be a nice option. You can go ahead and call 30 minutes in advance and if we are on a wait we will go ahead and add your name to the list, we just ask your entire party be here when called. Sounds like your wait time was quoted above the actual time so we do apologize for that. We would absolutely love for you to come back and give us another try and let us know what you think about the drinks, dining and dessert! Thanks again for your feedback and we do hope to finally have the opportunity to serve you in the near future!