“Comfy”

Renaissance Denver Stapleton Hotel
Ranked #46 of 159 Hotels in Denver
Reviewed September 9, 2008

We stayed on Sept 6th with the AAA rate of $93 + tax.

Although it took a while, the free shuttle from the airport was great. It was a nice mini-bus and the driver was very friendly. Check in was quick and easy.

We were on the 11th floor, one of the club level rooms. The room was a nice size and had a sleeper sofa and a nice King bed. Bathroom room was an okay size. Had a nice flat screen TV and a balcony that looked over to the restaurants etc that were across the highway.

I think they had just barely finished the renovations as the pictures were stacked in the corner instead of hung on the wall. The ice machine and pop machine were not even on and the lights dimmed in the vending room and the sitting area by the elevators.

They did have a little gift shop with the usual overpriced food and beverages which was nice. They also have a Starbucks with a bar attached as well. Seemed to be very popular amongst the business men and women that were sitting around it. Probably about 20 sitting in the various sitting areas in the lobby.

The restaurant is very overpriced. We decided to wander across the freeway to Famous Daves. It is a little bit of a hike. I wouldnt wander that way after dark or by myself.

We did not use the pool or exercise room although they did look nice. The business center seemed to be nice as well, although we didnt use it either.

We did order roomservice for breakfast. Just some pastries and juice. Most of the breakfast options were a bit overpriced. I was looking forward to a smoothie but the blender was broken.

Overall I was actually quite surprised with how much I enjoyed this hotel. Although it was a ways from the airport the free shuttle was a huge plus. The beds were great and the front desk very helpful.

We just stayed one night between our flight and our departure on Amtrak. We paid $30 for our taxi ride to Union Station but that included a nice tip.

Seems out of the way from a lot of stuff but if you are looking for a quick night stay in Denver, this was worth it.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 22, 2008

A beautiful hotel.....Stayed here for 6 nights.....traveling with a disabled person the accessible double room was easy to get around in. Rooms were made up quickly in AM...Staff needs a lesson on friendliness with the exception of the doorman. The doorman (Mohammad) went above and beyond to make sure we felt welcome. The food was good but the service from the restaurant was below average. We sat waiting for service for 15 minutes, finally a waitress came and filled our water glasses and left. Never took a drink order or gave us menus. We asked two other servers for menus and never received. Finally we got up to leave and then they got all excited and ready to serve us. They said they were busy...there were only four other tables being served. WE WERE COMPLETEY IGNORED BY THE STAFF AND THE RESTAURANT MANAGER. I mean how hard is it to give us a menu! The day we were leaving we order room service. When delivered 2 orders of bacon, a chocolate mik, and the syrup were all missing from our order in addition to the wrong omelet brought to us. We waited for another 20 minutes for them to correct everything, while the original order got cold waiting for syrup. The best service for eating was in the lounge. If it wasn't for the wheelchair we would have walked across the street to eat, but that was not an option for us.
A top notch fitness room....it was fantastic...free internet....pool area was okay..hot tubs not so much.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2008

Was here as part of a reunion of Vietnam helicopter pilots and crewmembers. Renovations were on going and the lack of all elevators proved to be a big problem. The hotel is close to where the old airport is located and is in an otherwise not so great part of town. You’d never have known it unless you ventured out of the immediate area of the hotel because the grounds and hotel are very safe. Otherwise the entire staff was well trained to the needs and comfort of the guests and the unique requirements when servicing our unusual requests; especially making room for two helicopters in their parking area. From the servers to the desk clerks and housekeeping, everything was well done. On banquet night, they fed without any hitches, close to 300 guests. Personal requests were filled with enthusiasm and promptness. The meal was well prepared and very tasty. I watched supervisory personnel working with staff smoothly and engaged them after requested tasks were completed to tell them how well their staff was working together. Even bar tenders worked to satisfy our needs whenever a specialty premium drink was requested. I had an internet access problem and the repair was made in less than 20 minutes. While there he asked if we wanted anything else corrected and he adjusted the thermostat to be more accurate for us. All in all this was a very pleasurable 3-night stay. I wish I had time to enjoy more of their amenities on site. Their breakfast was very good, all for one price, which I like best. I’ll be back when in the area.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2008

I stayed here as part of an organization's annual conference and was treated like a queen!
The rooms were beautiful: spacious, clean and trendy furniture. The bathroom was clean, roomy and the shower had good pressure (always important!). The bed -- that was the best bed I've ever slept on -- I'm not kidding. Since having children 7 years ago, I've slept through the night maybe a dozen times -- not due to the kids but mattresses (3 so far). The Renaissance mattress was like a pillow -- supporting but enveloping. I miss it still!
Now the staff: in all my travels in the US and Europe, I have not met a team of folks more committed and proud of their hotel and peers. They worked well together, provided seamless service and always greeted me by my name (even though I didn't have a name badge on).
I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to get away for a weekend. You won't regret it.
My only negative input would be to provide furniture for the rooms' decks -- even if you're on the "prairie" side -- still a beautiful sunrise! I dragged one of the armchairs out and turned a trash can upside down but still enjoyed my morning joe and view.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 11, 2008

We booked this hotel for a reunion. Our so called representative would not return phone calls or emails unless I sent copies of emails to her boss. I would have gone elsewhere when I started having problems but everyone had allready booked their rooms. We had ordered cakes for our reunion of WWII vets. I gave specific details on how the cakes were to look. She had them done at the local grocery store whom she called "her bakers". I foolishly thought she actually had a baker at the hotel that would be doing the cakes. They totally made them looked cheap. The picture I wanted was shrunk way too much and they added uneven piping around the edges and the name of the squadron was wrong. It was a HUGE insult to these men. Those cakes were supposed to be a way to honor them. It was too late to have them corrected. The pictures that were on the cakes were of the actual planes that they flew. Also we were staying in the hotel duting the renovations. The elevators were stopped since the fire alarm had gone off. We were scheduled to go to a banquet dinner at that time. I called the front desk to see when the elevators would be running again and mentioned outr banquet. They suggested we walk down the 4 flights of stairs. I reminded them that most of the people going were in their 80's and 90's some with canes. Walking the stairs was not an option for them. I called the kitchen and explained that we would be late. They said no problem. When we finally got there and the meal was served, not only was it NOT what was ordered it was cold. We were also promised that our representative would be there to personally take care of us. She wasn't there when she said she would be and even when she was I had to hunt her down. I was the hostess and this took me away from the guests at the reunion. We also had to call and find out when the veggie and fruit trays were coming even though they were scheduled at a certain time.
I am sure for a 1 room stay without any events this hotel is OK but I would not even consider them for hosting ANY type of event.
You would be better off doing all the work yourself, it will be less stress.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank TeriBeh
Reviewed May 25, 2008

This hotel is in the final stages of a renovation.

Things I loved:
1. Free airport shuttle. Just go to the 3rd lane outside baggage claim and look for the Renaissance/Raddison white bus. It runs every 30 minutes.

2. The exercising room has new equipment, is clean, and well maintained. Towels are provided. They have about 8 new Life Fitness treadmills complete with individual TV's and iPod hook up. 4 elliptical machines, 3 bikes, and one rowing machine round out the cardio machines. Free weights, balance balls, and various weight equipment make for a wonderful gym. There is a hot tub and lap pool. The outdoor pool is in the final stages of renovation.

3. Clean efficient rooms. Comfortable bedding, coffee maker, sofa, and large table complete the room. Not large but well enough for single or 2. Very nice LCD flat screen TV.

4. Staff. Very helpful and friendly. Always someone at the desk.

5. Plenty of box stores and chain restaurants within walking distance.

Things I didn't like:

1. Very, very close to rail line. These are industrial rail trains which lay on their horns about 400-700 feet from the front of the hotel. This was done at 6 am each morning. Being an early riser and east coster this wasn't and issue for me. But those with kids or light sleepers BEWARE it is LOUD.

2. Location if I wanted to see downtown denver.

All in all a place i would return too. For the price you are getting a fine hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed May 23, 2008

The Renaissance Denver is clean and a decent place to stay, but nothing special. If you are looking something in downtown Denver, this is not the place - it's about 15-20 minutes from downtown.

If you'd prefer something midway, I think this is okay ... or if you are looking for something near the Northfield Shopping Center.

The hotel hallways and lobby are old and under construction, so hopefully this will be better when the construction is finished. Right now, though, not the best.

The worst part - when we got here and were trying to lug in four pieces of luggage ..... the guy from the hotel at the front door just watched us!

Being a regular Marriott stayer (I'm Platinum), I have high expectations. However, I'd probably look for something closer to Denver the next time I travel.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple