“Very comfortable hotel”

Ranked #37 of 157 Hotels in Denver
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very comfortable hotel”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The beds are very comfortable, nice pillows and duvet. The sheets are high count cotton and the colors in the room are all neutral. Good quality soap and shampoo. I wish they had more TV channels and not just pay movies available.

Plenty of power outputs in the room but you do have to pay for internet. It's plugin and slow, wifi is only available in the lobby and on some floors.

The staff are very polite and helpful. The only down side is the train track. The trains sound their horns at all times day and night. Get a room on the backside away from the main road and lobby if you like quiet.

The restaurant staff are very attentive and they have reasonably priced breakfast and lunch buffets.

Room Tip: Away from the main road and farthest from the lobby is the quietest.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
DenverRenaissance, General Manager at Renaissance Denver Stapleton Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Renaissance Denver Hotel during your visit to the Denver area. We appreciate the mention of the many great amenities available at our hotel, but do apologize for the issues with the internet and any disruptions the train whistle may have caused you. Feedback from our guests is an important part of improving our service and we look forward to reviewing your suggestions further with our staff. We hope you will stay with us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 27, 2011

I stayed here for an on-site industrial conference in October 2011. The hotel is not top-notch, certainly, but it's friendly and comfortable (except for one factor, for which skip to the end).

The staff were friendly. For example, when housekeeping stopped by while I was in, they had no problems with waiting an hour instead. On the other hand, they were a little lax at volunteering useful information. I had problems getting into the on-site garage, and it was only on the penultimate day when I asked the front desk that I was told that I needed to have parking access added to my account. They took care of that instantly, but it should not have come up.

Room was generally comfortable but a bit drafty. There was a balcony on my room, and the balcony door did not fit tightly. I wound up shutting the drapes, and that stopped the draft. The view from the balcony was of the shopping center across the street. Not thrilling, but not horrifying, either. A very small area of the stucco on the ceiling was cracked and falling away. Whether that was deterioration or carelessness by a previous guest, I'm not sure. It looked like a hit. Bedding and linens were clean. Like just about every other hotel out there, they are on an odd-days schedule for changing the linens, but they left the "change the sheets today" card out in the open. Bathroom was also clean, although the shower tile had just a hint of mildew on the grout, but not nearly enough to be noticeable without close study.

The desk has a nice "convenience center" built in, which puts the power outlets (and the high-speed internet, and even audio-video outlets) right on the desk. They also included a short Ethernet cord in the room, and even a card indicating where to find it. It's a very short cord, though, so bring your own if you want to roam around with the computer. I couldn't find the Wi-Fi signal, even in the lobby, the whole time I was there, and the wired internet might charge on a daily basis (although I'm not sure: I was in on a group rate that advertised free in-room internet, but I also didn't see any mention of the internet charge on the bill, even to confirm it had been cancelled). As usual, check with the property.

Conference services were reasonably good from my point of view (as an attendee) and staff were very efficient at setup and teardown of the different conference rooms. Plenty of signs were posted to direct attendees to the proper rooms and the staff seemed well capable of keeping up the coffee and snack tables.

The hotel bar/lounge was attentive, and prices were reasonable (about $6 1/2 for a well drink). The lounge is wide open with a full view of the hotel entrance, which makes it a good place to wait for your friends. I did not visit the hotel restaurant, but food and drinks during the course of the conference were average to good, with a nice coffee cake and a tomato bisque soup among the highlights. Good coffee, too (even the decaf, surprisingly).

The elevators seem to be in fair condition, although they made a few odd clanks and clicks. The doors on one did not seem to close tightly, and I could not find an inspector's certificate in any of them.

The hotel sits in a sort of neutral zone between several different areas. The former Stapleton Airport property is on the east, and has been redeveloped into a retail development with a couple of traveler friendly services (Panera Bread and McDonald's restaurants) along with a couple of less relevant stores (Wal-Mart and Home Depot). To the west is a somewhat shady-looking residential area; on the north is industrial property, and to the south are professional offices. It's probably not the sort of area to walk around at night: there isn't much to see there, anyway.

On the other hand, while it's not as convenient to air travelers as when the Denver Airport was literally across the street, it is still just off I-70 and easily accessible from the Denver International Airport, with a hotel shuttle running about every half hour. City bus service also runs past the front door. Northfield shopping center sits a couple of miles north, and downtown Denver is only a few miles west.

There is a railroad line to the north of the hotel with several trains going by each evening. They are well audible, especially due to a pair of grade crossings for which they blow horns.

One VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: The interior architecture of the hotel is open, from the lobby all the way up to the ninth floor. As in, you could throw a penny over the ninth floor railing and clobber someone in the lounge, eight floors below (but, of course, you shouldn't). To enhance the effect, it also has glass elevators all the way up. If you are afraid of heights, this is probably not the hotel for you. Travelers with children take note: unless your children are well behaved, this is the sort of layout to take years off your life, although I do not think there is any real danger.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south end will be away from the trains and quieter. Rooms to the west will probably hav...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
DenverRenaissance, General Manager at Renaissance Denver Stapleton Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
May we say…what a well written and descriptive response! The information you have just given in one review would take our guests a while to find on several different internet sites. Thank you for taking the time to include everything that made your stay at the Renaissance Denver Hotel so enjoyable and giving helpful tips and suggestions to others. Please know that should you experience any issues during your stay, we encourage our guests to contact our management team so that we can address those situations immediately and ensure an enjoyable stay. Thank you for an amazingly, well put review and we hope to welcome you back very soon.
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Reviewed October 27, 2011

The Renaissance Denver is consistent with others in the Marriott family -- clean, comfortable and efficient. I stayed on a weekend night booked on Priceline, so got a good deal at $49 +fees. After booking, I called the hotel to make some special requests -- all were cheerfully honored.

The location is just a little scary at night. I hoped to avoid paid parking and the bell staff were helpful in directing me to safe street parking after dropping my wife at the door.

All in all, a good stay -- no complaints.

Room Tip: Request upper floor, quiet side -- to face downtown Denver and the mountains.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
It certainly sounds like you got a great deal and had a comfortable stay at the Renaissance Denver Hotel. We are grateful to hear from our guests as it helps us to continue to provide excellent service and improve in areas that need it. Our staff strives to ensure our guests are well taken care of and we will pass along your kind comments to them. Please come and stay with us again. We’ll be looking forward to your visit.
PA
Reviewed October 20, 2011

There are definitely worse hotels out there but this one could be so much better. The rooms are OK. The furniture doesn't quite fit the room. My room had a couch sitting about 5 feet from the window, which seemed to waste a lot of the room's space. When I checked in late Sunday night , my room had a wall outlet without a cover, which is a definite safety violation. So I called the front desk and engineering responded to my room and said that the toilet in my room was also not working properly and he had not yet fixed it. Plus my room did not have a TV remote.

I asked to be moved to a new room. ( I also asked for a room upgrade for my trouble, but was told no.)

During my stay there was a fire alarm and everyone evacuated the builind and the fire department responded. Luckily the weather was nice. The hotel staff handled the siutation well. Turned out to be a false alarm.

A word of warning, don't be surprised if you are awakened by a train sounding its horn at 5:30Am.

The food at all meals during my stay were quite good. Also, the lobby bar area is also very nice and the service is excellent.

The airport shuttle was right on time both times I took it. The hotel also offers a shuttle to local shopping areas.

Internet access in your room is $9.99, which is crazy, but there is free internet in the lobby, which gave me a great excuse to check my email over a cold beer.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the train tracks. Not sure which side of the hotel that is.
1 Thank Nick_626
DenverRenaissance, General Manager at Renaissance Denver Stapleton Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Although your visit experienced a few hiccups, we were glad to have been able to accommodate you with a new room and are relieved that the fire alarm turned out to be a false alarm. We’re thrilled to learn that the cuisine and the convenient airport shuttle at the Renaissance Denver Hotel made your stay more enjoyable. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the future.
Hampton
Reviewed October 20, 2011

I stayed for almost a week for a conference in Oct 2011, and I found the room comfortable and the staff, especially at the bar, very helpful and friendly. However, I was told in writing that continental breakfast was going to be available for free for conference attendees, and when I asked, they knew nothing about it. When I produced the e-mail as proof, after several telephone calls, I was told to speak to the conference organiser who knew nothing about it either! Some of us were told that internet connection was free in the room for conference attendees, and some that it was free. I think the reception staff need better training!

Room Tip: Ask for mountain views as the other side overlooks the car park and is pretty grim!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
We can certainly understand your frustration when information seems to differ from party to party, and for that we apologize. Your comments will be shared with our staff so that we can stress the importance of guest relations and concise communication. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the Renaissance Denver Hotel.
Bostonn
Reviewed October 19, 2011

i have very mixed feeling about this hotel .

Rooms:

at first, i was on the 3rd floor , the room was average at best. the decoration in the room was lacking, the room had empty spaces that just looked awkward, like they had just put that room together last minute. the only pro of this room was that it had a refridgerator

Later during my stay, i was moved up to the 12th floor, and thats a whole different story. The rooms on the 12th floor were very beautiful and elegant, but it lacked a refigrator.

Staff:
again, i have mixed feeling about this. during my check-in, i was informed by the lady at the front desk that the rooms on each floor were not different at all, but that was incorrect. there is some differences in the rooms, and there is a tradeoff involved ( i.e. refridgerator)

That brings me to the next point. i asked to move from my 3rd floor room to the high floor room ( i'll get to this later), and i informed the hotel staff that i will pack my bags and suits, and if they could move it to my new room, and they said they were more than happy to.

so i get back to the hotel around 5:30pm, and they give me thee keys to my new room, and my bags are not in the room. anyways, it took us like 45 minutes to locate my bags, we had to check 4-5 different rooms to finally find my bags. i know they didnt do it on purpose, but nontheless, thats a major fault of the hotel.

but i have to say, the staff was helpful in trying to find my luggage and suits. There was a pretty asian lady ( i think her name was anna and was the manager?), she was trying hard to find my bags. but after my bag was found, the hotel staff just left a voicemail apologizing for what happened, and Anna said she is there until like 7pm to help me if i needed anything.

well, thats nice of her, but when the hotel messes up , they should show a gesture of hospitality and offer a free dinner or free drink at the hotel retaurant. Im not saying im looking for freebies, even if she offered i probably wouldve turned it down, but its just the principal of it, and it woulve been a nice gesture

on the other hand, because of my bag being lost for a bit and me haviing some very very important stuff in the bag, it had gotten my heart rate so high that i wasnt able to take a nap for the next couple of hours, and since i had plans for later on that night, i went downstairs to the lobby around 8:30, and sat at the bar/starbucks , and asked for a triple shot of espresso. there was a hotel staff member ( Mohammed from Morocco), and we talkked for a bit and he was a genuinely nice guy, offering coupon books for local vendors, an also he comped my triple shot of espresso. that was a very nice gesture of him

oh, and when i checked in, i asked for the USA Today and WallStreet Journal delivered to my room, during my 3 night stay, they failed to deliver a single WSJ to my room... its not a big deal, but again, its the principal of it

so thats why i have very mixed feelings about this hotel

Location:

again, very mixed reviews. the hotel is close to a shopping center with many places to eat, but apparantly its also in a bad area of the town. but most importantly, there is a train track right near this hotel, and i gotta tell you, if your a light sleeper, you'll have difficulty sleeping. i moved from the 3rd floor to the 12th floor and opposite side of the building, but it still didnt change much. and im suprised the city doesnt have any noise ordinance or something, they train would be coming about every hour or so throught the night with its whistles blowing 3-4am...

so just keep that in mind.

other than that, the lobby is beautiful, the fitness center was good as well ( 5-6 treadmills, 4 ellipticals, one stayionary bike, dumbells up to 50lbs )

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
What an amazingly descriptive review. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your time spent at the Renaissance Denver Hotel. Feedback from our guests is an important part of improving our service. Our goal is to create an experience that inspires a return visit, and we’re glad that you informed us of your concerns so that we were able to address them immediately. We have shared your review with our management team so further evaluations can be done to determine any areas that might need our attention. We hope to be able to welcome you back to the Renaissance Denver Hotel.
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed October 16, 2011

I stayed at this hotel from June 8 to June 12, 2011. For the first time ever, I had a very poor Marriott Representative on the 800 line, so I called the hotel directly. They did a TERRIFIC job! Pleasant, prompt and accomodating! To my delight, I had been booked in Room 1236 on the Club Level! As with other reviews, I did have some minor issues... one night my room was not cleaned at all, the ice bag was never changed the whole time, there was no pen/paper on arrival nor for several days. I too experienced the dishes (including mine) left out in the hallway for several days. The tv stand was chipped and the bed scarf spotted. But you know, for the price we got as a group, the free parking and breakfasts in the package, I would CERTAINLY stay there again. Staff makes a HUGE difference, and the breakfast buffet was terrific, the service there was great, even though they were really busy! It's so convenient to the Interstate and shopping I hope our group books them as the Host Hotel again!

Room Tip: I agree with everyone that higher up and "outside" rooms are probably quieter.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
First impressions are lasting and we are thrilled that the Renaissance Denver was able to impress with you with your first time stay with us. It is regretful that there were some minor issues, but we’re glad that in the end our staff and amenities won you over. Hearing from our guests, whether positive or otherwise, gives us the opportunity to improve in areas that may require more attention. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay and we look forward to having you stay with us again very soon.