“Interesting Tour”

Mollie Kathleen Gold Mine
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The only 1,000 foot vertical shaft gold mine tour in the U.S.; the vein was discovered by Mollie Kathleen Gortner in 1891.
Reviewed September 14, 2009

The tour was very interesting. I'm not sure I could recommend it to someone who doeasn't like small spaces. The ride in/out of the mine was the only part of the tour were space with an issue. They pack 9+ people into a extremely small elevator. The tour was great, so if you can do the elevator.....do the tour.

1  Thank TotalDisneyFreaks
"well worth the money"
in 12 reviews
"unique experience"

Reviewed August 15, 2009

My wife and I took our three kids (ages 9, 6, and 3) on the mine tour. It was interesting enough to keep the kids attention and my wife and I found it fascinating. It was definitely worth the price of admission.

Like the previous poster, I too was wondering what the heck I was doing as we squeezed into the elevator and started descending into the darkness. It was a quick trip though and once to the bottom, the tunnels are pretty spacious.

I would definitely recommend a trip to Cripple Creek...especially if you are a gambler. We dropped my mom off at a casino on the main strip downtown and she thought the atmosphere was great.

Reviewed August 6, 2009

The mine is a bit of a drive from the rest of the Pike's Peak attractions, and I almost decided not to go. The 30-minute drive went quickly looking at the beautiful scenery. When we got to the mine, I almost baled out again. Entering the mine means squeezing 7-8 people in a tiny elevator cage and dropping 1,000 down a mine shaft. I'm just claustrophobic enough that it was starting to freak me out. I'm *so* glad I stuck it out! The ride down the mine shaft was quick and the tour was flat out fascinating. It was the best thing we've done so far on our road trip of the wild west. It's worth the drive and squeezing in the cage for a minute or so!

Reviewed July 24, 2009

We went to the mine on our second day in Colorado, and this was our favorite part of Cripple Creek. Our tour guide was very nice and informative. The price was average for the tour lasting about 45 minn. If you find yourself in the area I would recoment checking this one out. Be sure you also head across the street to the new free Heritage Center.