“Great Accommodations”

Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Cripple Creek
wisconsin
“Great Accommodations”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The hotel is very clean and up to date. Staff was very friendly. We were given great summer rates. Casino was very good to my wallet. Stayed 2 nights and we were comped breakfast each morning. I won't ding the hotel because of the restaurant. That I'll do in a different review. The nice part of staying here, is you are within walking distance to the whole town. We'll stay again, but eat elsewhere

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tansandy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Flower Mound
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This has become one of our new favorite places..the hotel was very nice and their summer rate was very affordable for our budget. We enjoyed the non smoking casino and the beautiful weather. The front desk was very helpful and the hotel comped most of our food and part of our lodging. I would definitely recommend this hotel and casino to anyone visiting the area.

Room Tip: The room was very quiet and comfortable. Bedding was excellent and pillows were just the kind we li...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vacationrooms
Colorado
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We took a mini vacation to Cripple Creek with two teenage boys 14 and 15.

Valet and Front desk employees were super friendly and helpful. The only employee who was not nice was a security guard, we forgot about the kids not supposed to be by the slots, which is hard because the restaurant is surrounded by them. He chased us off, yes, doing his job, but he could have been much friendlier about it.

Our room and bathroom were clean, tv had some cable channels, needs some updating.
The major negative was the beds were very hard and the pillows were horrible, some were flat and some were lumpy. Didn't sleep well here because of the beds and pillows.

We ate breakfast both mornings in their restaurant. Food was decent. Both times there was a waiting list around 9am.

The casino here is not large, there are two floors of machines though. They had a mix of new and older slots.

The boys would have to go outside to get to the hotels arcade which is connected to the hotel. The arcade had very few games. They also have an espresso/ice cream place and also a place which serves pizza and sandwiches (by the arcade) and the boys were allowed in there also.
Also need to mention there is a gift store there also, the owner was very friendly and she had some cut things for sale.

We felt comfortable to let the boys go on their own down Bennett street, during the day there are many people on the street. There is a small skatepark and park at the other end of Bennett. Across Bennett is and arcade from the park.

Kind of across the street from the hotel is a steam train you can ride on, did not do that.
Took the boys on the gold mine tour at the Molly Kathleen mine, they loved it.

I think one day, two nights is the longest I would stay here with kids, just not enough for them to do.

It was a pleasant stay, had some luck in the casino.

We had great rates to begin with but my mom was able to get our rooms comped both nights. Might only stay here again if we could get the same but the beds were truly horrible for us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CNW901
Colorado
Reviewed July 25, 2013

If you enjoy gambling a bit, this is a terrific value. We received the senior (over 50) rate of $49.95 plus taxes etc and with minimal effort were able to earn enough points to get our room comped. This is Sunday through Thursday until further notice. So, the good is a free room, decently clean and comfortable. The bad was the wifi was nonexistent. We told the desk, that it shouldn't even be advertised until improved. We had to go in the hall to get any signal, at all. We did pay $50 for our little dog, which is per stay, not per night. There is a refundable $50 damage deposit for pets, also. All in all, I would stay here again, for sure, but just leave my laptop at home. I didn't think the hotel front desk was very cordial or caring.

Now, for the casino. Absolutely first-rate. The staff was excellent and very friendly, overall. I am a video poker player and this is the ONLY casino in Colorado which I have seen which has fair pays on their games. Again, this is subject to change, but I was very pleased that I had a fighting chance, at least.

Lombardi's Restaurant was so-so. My wife didn't care for it, at all. I enjoyed the breakfast and dinner was ok. The Parrot Dice Grill is awesome!! We had a pizza that was fantastic! Also, good salads and burgers! And, did I tell you breakfast was included with the room and with very minimal effort we got a $12 food voucher (each) for dinner.

We didn't win, overall, but had a great time. This is THE place in Cripple Creek to stay and play.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank crooner7
Rangely, Colorado
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Food was cold. And selection. Poor. Air conditioner did not work. Front desk not much help maintance. Did not show up. Wi-fi. Did not work front desk told me had wi-fi. But when I told them it keep dropping server they admitted. Poor service

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Leonard4363
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed July 4, 2013

The Double Eagle Hotel and Casino, Cripple Creek, CO is a nice property. I have stayed there before and never had an issue with cigarette smoke............ until now.
I had a room on the fifth floor and noticed an odor as soon as I checked in. I tried opening a window but they don't open. I knew the odor was a faint cigarette smell. I woke early because of the heavy smell of cigarette smoke in my room. I was able to reduce it by having the AC on Max.
On check-out, I asked to make sure I was in a non-smoking room. I was told the fourth floor was the smoking floor and the cigarette smoke gets into the fifth floor rooms.
I don't want to smell cigarette smoke. I don't want to wake to it.
I won't stay again if I have to be on the fifth floor.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank mackey719

Travelers are raving about these Cripple Creek hotels

Groveton, Texas
Reviewed June 8, 2013

It is getting a little long in the tooth but the people are kinda ho-hum about their jobs. I was surprised to find out that the casinos are smoke-free. Most important....Cripple Creek is over NINE THOUSAND feet above sea level. It was really hard for me to breathe and we left a day early.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
#3 of 10 in Cripple Creek
The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
#1 of 10 in Manitou Springs

Been to Double Eagle Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!