“We ate WAY too much!”
Review of The Down Under

The Down Under
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Description: With historic brick, rich oak floor and low light, this fine dining restaurant is located downstairs in the Midnight Rose. It's now featuring a generous Prime Rib and Seafood buffet Thursday through Saturday. Choose from an expansive wine selection and finish your dining experience with a decadent dessert.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“We ate WAY too much!”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Seafood buffet on Saturday night included raw oysters, crab legs, smoked salmon, and other great food. The sushi was aweful but they more than made up for it with the rest!

Visited March 2012

Port Angeles, WA
“Great buffet”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We thought the $22 price for the all you can eat buffet was fair. They offered everything prime rib, crab, shrimp and some other meats. There weren't a lot of sides, but the salads were good and lots of chocolate desserts. Service was friendly. Our only complaint was that it was cold. The server explained it gets cold when they turn on the AC upstairs. It was a nice quite place and we would definitely go again.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank OlympicPA
“Very good food, and a quiet, relaxed, atmosphere.”
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Went here on a Friday night, and it wasn't crowded, so my wife and I were seated immediately, even without reservations. We both ordered the prime rib. The salad bar was good, although unremarkable. They brought bread to the table which was hot and tasted quite nice. The prime rib was excellent, cooked well and extremely tender and flavorful. My risotto was very good, and the mushrooms we had with it were excellent. My wife's baked potato was slightly undercooked, but still good. My wife had the creme brulee for desert and thought it was heavenly. I had the flourless chocolate cake, and it was quite good as well. Overall the food was excellent.
Our waiter was a bit slow, but the rest of the wait staff seemed better, as other tables were served quite promptly. I won't fault the restaurant for the slow service of our one waiter.
Overall it was a very good meal, which both my wife and I enjoyed immensely. I'd definitely go again.

2 Thank Jnaujok
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Great food and ambiance”
Reviewed February 14, 2010

My boyfriend and I had a wonderful Valentine's Dinner at the Down Under Steakhouse. It was easy to find and the staff was very friendly. We took the advice of previous reviewers and made sure to make reservations, and it worked out wonderfully. The food was very good. I had Chicken Caprice and my boyfriend had the Halibut, both meals were wonderful! The only drawback i saw was the lighting. Most of the restaurant had moderate/dim lighting, while our table was extremely bright. I'm assuming its because we were sitting in the front of the restaurant.

2 Thank joborne
Amersham, United Kingdom
“Great find in a sea of mediocrity”
Reviewed November 21, 2009

After befriending several blackjack dealers from competing casinos and asking for the real scoop on the Cripple Creek dining scene, they all pointed us to the Midnight Rose, specifically to the Down Under Steakhouse below the casino. I've come to expect little from casino restaurants, but was pleasantly surprised by Down Under. It had a trendy atmosphere, attentive staff, and great food. The salad bar was fresh and offered a wide variety. I had the rack of lamb in a mint demi-glaze and it was perfectly prepared and delicious. My husband had the prime rib and it far exceeded the quality of the prime rib at Wildwood's all-you-can-eat buffet. Even the parmesan-leek risotto and grilled asparagus sides were surprisingly well-seasoned and not overcooked. They also had a significant selection of fish dishes available, as well as multiple cuts of beef and pasta dishes. The wine selection was small but diverse, although only available by the bottle unless you went for the Yellowtail. We skipped it.

4 Thank jillflyz