“Family Ski Trip”

Lodge at Mountaineer Square
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Crested Butte
Reviewed January 4, 2012

It was a great family trip with new to experienced members of our three generation group.

No moaning or crying from anyone!!

Thanks for a great experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Lodge at Mountaineer Square

Reviewed December 26, 2011

Stayed here July 2011 on a whirlwind visit to CB, Aspen, Leadville and B'ridge. This is a very nice hotel with everything you could ask for. Would definately recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank KENTGA
Reviewed November 9, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Lodge at Mountaineer Square for our anniversary in October. The property was nearly empty, so it was very quiet. The staff was great, and very helpful, although sometimes hard to find because so few were on duty. The room we stayed in was very comfortable, warm, and quiet, and had a beautiful view of Mt. Crested Butte. A few issues - since we went in the off-season, there were no restaurants open in or near the hotel, but the staff gave us a complimentary ride into (and out of) the town so we could get dinner. I was also suprised that parking was $20 a night - I understand that in the height of ski season, but when there were one or two other cars parked in the garage, I thought it was a little silly to charge that much. I also asked at check in to upgrade to a room with a balcony (I was willing to pay) and was told that none were available... but the hotel was empty. Despite these issues, it was a lovely hotel that I'd recommend to others.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2011

Stayed here in August with my husband and two teenagers in a 2 bedroom condo. This place is amazing! Top-notch - beautifully furnished, spotlessly clean, extremely comfortable. The service is as good as any I've experienced anywhere in the world. Had a few requests during our stay (more glassware, extra towels, more laundry soap) and each request was met with almost immediate response. Front desk - awesome. Concierge - awesome. Housekeeping - awesome.

Don't even think about staying anywhere else. This is where you want to be :)

Room Tip: Call them directly for best available rates.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank pattiwilkinson
Reviewed October 13, 2011

The difference between just a hotel and a FINE HOTEL can always be measured by its staff- from the front desk, to housekeeping, to maintenance. While we wanted to stay in town, there were no higher quality hotels down there so we stayed in the sleepy ski mountain town up the hill 2 miles away. The giant hotel next door wasn't even open until ski season.

We were so late for a dinner reservation at arrival and rushed into the lobby like a hurricane. They checked us in ahead of another guest and got us going. Unfortunately NONE of our keys worked. From there, we had plenty of key problems- PLENTY! A housekeeper on each floor heard the commotion and got us into the rooms. The staff explained that due to security issues, they just (that week) replaced the key system, and it's screwing up. It was frustrating but I understand- it was dead season up there and the appropriate time to do the work.

My folks had a beautiful one bedroom suite. It was large, well appointed, and immaculate. The balcony and fireplace added to the ambiance. I was sure that I had booked different room than I received. I came back from dinner and repeatedly asked Martin at the front desk where the murphy bed was that I reserved because I wasn't sleeping on the pull-out sofa. He desk didn't seem to know what a murphy bed was and said they didn't have ANY rooms with one. As soon as I became a little frustrated, Martin noticed and promptly resolved the problem by insisting that my bro and I move to a two bedroom suite. It was nearly as large as my house. I later realized that I was thinking about the hotel next door (which I didn't choose) and felt like a complete dope- in my giant suite. I thanked Martin again, of course.

Check out was fast and efficient. The hotel is next to the slopes, has a pool and all the amenities that one would expect from a ski village hotel. I'd love to stay in the oh-so-cool and authentic legendary town of Crested Butte but it would be hard not to look back here first. The staff is trained perfectly which is why The Lodge is a true fine hotel property.

Darn, nothing's perfect. It was the offest of off seasons. They wanted $20/night to park. Are they crazy!!!! Their lot was empty and it was an insult. I parked a block away for free. I understand it in ski season, but early October in an empty ski village? Shame on them.

Room Tip: top floor, best view. Near front desk part of hotel- there can be plenty of walking.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank denverroadtrip
Reviewed October 9, 2011

I stayed at this lodge one night during an 8-day photographic road trip of Colorado in early October. I'd never been to Crested Butte before. I used hotels.com to book my room, which was very reasonable because of it being the off-season out there. This place is located in the Mt. Crested Butte Village resort area, 2 miles up from the funky little town of Crested Butte.

I was greeted by a very friendly and humorous front desk manager who gave me not only a location map, but explained a number of other things like parking, dining, etc. For $20 there is a heated, indoor parking garage to keep your car out of the elements (a good thing since it had snowed the night before and was supposed to snow again that night). To enter the garage, you must stop and push a button which spits out a ticket. You must get that ticket validated by the front desk in order to depart the garage without incurring a $40 fee charged to either your room or a credit card. You are also given little orange tickets to insert immediately after inserting the parking ticket, in case you don't get your ticket validated. For me, it was a little problematic because the staff is available during the off-season from 8AM to 8PM, and I left around 7AM (and the orange ticket didn't work, so I had to wait until 8AM after all to talk to the front desk and make sure I wasn't charged the $40 upon exiting the garage).

My room was 309A and it was huge. And clean. The balcony view was wonderful, looking out and down toward the town and the mountains beyond. There is an elevator to take you and your luggage to your floor from the parking garage. Just around the corner from my room was a little lounge with soda and snack vending machines.

The bed was a King size and quite comfortable. The bathroom was also large with more than enough towels and washcloths to go around, as well as the standard toiletries of soaps, shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, lotion, and shower cap.

The television was not a flat screen, but it was large and served my purposes. To the side of the bed is a small desk and lamp - large enough for a laptop. The lodge also provides free WiFi. And there is a small fridge, coffee/tea maker with coffee, tea, powdered creamer, and sugar. Within the closet is a safe and an iron/ironing board. Robes are also available for use and to purchase.

There is an exercise room, pool, and hot tub available as well - I noticed someone in the hot tub during my stay that evening, so it's not one of those things that is open only during the ski season.

Because it was the off-season, none of the shops/restaurants around the resort area were open, and I had to drive the 2 miles back down to the town.

If I am ever able to return to Crested Butte, I will stay in this lodge again, on- or off-season. I'm sure during the ski season, it is definitely a more active, happening place to be.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Stayed at this property because of ratings, availability, location for our agenda. It was fantastic. We were greeted by a very professional, friendly, efficient front desk group of people. The room was like being in a very nice home with great views, fireplace, balcony, granite countertops, excellent beds and pillow, and very spacious and beautiful. It was very comfortable for 4 adults. The bathrooms were clean and spacious. Robes provided.
We ended up staying a unplanned second night with no hassle whatsoever.
The hot tub was crystal clear and clean and the pool was actually heated and perfect temperature for being cool outside. That is a first.
Housekeeping was superb...I forgot my toothbrush and one appeared not even 5 minutes from the time I called the front desk. Also extremely efficient and helpful.
I have nothing but great things to say. It definitely lives up to the 5 rating. I would definitely stay here any time I was in this area and loved the time at Crested Butte. The only negative thing I will say is that there are resort and parking fees added that some people might not understand but it really didn't bother me. The parking was safe, enclosed, and very close to the elevators. And just about every hotel / resort charges fees so just expect that. Thank you for a memorable stay with my family. Went in the off season but if you are a skier you will love the location and this lodge. Highly Recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
#1 of 9 in Crested Butte
Inn at Crested Butte
Inn at Crested Butte
#9 of 9 in Crested Butte

Been to Lodge at Mountaineer Square? Share your experiences!