“Good room, location, polite helpful staff, terrible restaurant svc”

The Elevation Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Crested Butte
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Stayed over the 4th of July weekend. Expected busy....that was fine. Room was nice, comfortable, great pillows and nice touch having robes for use to go to spa, sauna, hot tubs or swimming. One recommendation which would have helped enhance our stay would be to have a handout of what is in immediate proximity of services, what is going on that day or weekend, AND times of opening/closing. There is a nice family activity area and you can get an all day pass. We purchased one for our daughter, went down town on the complimentary shuttle, then arrived back at the hotel for "kids" night at the activity area outside. Bungee, miniature golf, wall climbing and a tower jump into a large inflated bag. However, it was 4:45 at the time and to our shock, everything closes at 5. Considering there are hours of daylight....that was a surprise because we never were told by the vendor we purchased the pass, that everything closes so early in a resort town. This was NOT the hotel's responsibility this was just a mention....so be very careful of finding out what time things open/close whilst staying in the area. The only issue we had at the hotel, which upon reading some of the reviews, is not an isolated case, was the breakfast buffet. NO SERVICE, NO PLATES, NO COFFEE, we were seated inside with 4 other tables, and there were no servers. We stood at the buffet about 15 minutes, after asking for plates at the buffet. Half the food areas were empty and we were told if we ordered off the menu it could be over ½ hour before we would get food. (And that was also with no waitress yet). We got our own coffee. I don't know if there was any juice....there wasn't any at the buffet location. The buffet food that was physically available at 8:30 AM was toast, packaged muffins, bacon, sausage, cubes of cheese, fruit chunks, prepackaged cereal and milk. The eggs, and pancakes were empty. The buffet was over $12 @person.....service and actual food disappointing. This (may) have been a exception to their normal service....but we couldn't find that out. We asked to speak with the manager at the restaurant, thru 3 different wait staff and never got to talk to the Mgr. Although all had said the Mgr was in the restaurant. This may have been the exception, but we had our children with us, and did not want to "risk" going back to the restaurant for any other meals or breakfast, so we made other arrangements for dining going forward through our stay. The other four tables inside the restaurant had the same experience. It seems like they sat us there and didn't have the service area assigned to anyone. The plus side to the hotel was its location, room was clean and comfortable...and ours was pretty quiet....after all...it was the 4th of July...so we didn't expect a complete desert island experience (lol), the wine reception, nice, pool, sauna, spa, fitness and hot tub...again nice. Pool is not a lap pool, but it's great for the kids. And the staff was always polite and helpful. The only downside was not knowing what was in the immediate location & their operating hours (handout would benefit all) and of course the breakfast buffet. The whole situation at that time in that restaurant was just strange.

Room Tip: The individual rooms are not air conditioned. HOWEVER, there are sliding patio doors for cool mtn br...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Becky k
Meredith R, Manager at The Elevation Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Hello Becky,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review. It sounds like you genuinely enjoyed your trip and I am glad to hear that! However, I am sad to hear that you had such a frustrating breakfast experience. We are diligently working on getting our restaurant in line with the level of service and quality that our customers deserve. If you choose to stay with us again I am confident that you will have a much better experience at 9380. Also, I read your suggestion about making information for local recommendations available for our guests. I wanted you to know that we just installed a new touch screen TV by our concierge desk that contains all of the information you are requesting. Again, I appreciate your review and for your business.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

My husband booked this hotel via Hotwire and got an excellent deal - just $89/night. Upon arriving, we discovered that our "excellent" deal was just a so-so deal, as we had to pay $15 extra per night to have our car parked, on top of the $12/day resort fee. As we arrived at the hotel, we got out of our car prepared to check in, only to be told that the hotel prefers to unload their guests cars and meet them at the room with their luggage after check-in. To me, this is more about getting extra tips for their valet staff. We certainly could have made it up to our room with our 2 bags without any extra assistance.

The room (that I'm still sitting in) is absolutely beautiful - room 623. The bed is extremely comfortable, and a big deal breaker for me at any hotel is the quality of the pillows. These pillows are super comfy, and there was no problem getting a few extra (I like to sleep with many pillows!). The room is furnished with modern furniture, 2 wardrobes for hanging clothes, adequate drawer space, a flat screen TV, a separate sitting area as well as tiny dining area. The kitchenette was well furnished with dinner plates, salad plates, bowls, water glasses and wine glasses. There is a small sink as well as a microwave and a refrigerator for keeping things cool. The bathroom is small, but well-appointed. Plenty of towels, nice soaps, and a super deep soaking tub. My only complaint with the room is that housekeeping never washed any of our dishes. There is a small bottle of dish soap underneath the sink, but I don't come on vacation to wash dishes :)

We are here over the 4th of July weekend and WOW was it loud in the hours following the fireworks. If you choose to stay here, be sure to get a room that is not off of the main road - the noise of trucks and cars going by is expected. However, the sound of a drunk man singing at the top of his lungs for over an hour in the middle of the night is not. Additionally, there is a condo complex directly across from our room that has what appears to be college kids living in it and they were BLASTING their music at 7:30am this morning. Granted, we were awake anyhow and hey, we like Pearl Jam! But others may have still been sleeping and not appreciated the crooning of Eddie Vedder at such an early hour on a Saturday.

We ate in the hotel restaurant, 9380 - two times. The main word that I can use to describe it is inconsistent. The first night we tried to order a large pizza and were told that we would have to order 2 smalls, as the pizza oven was not yet making the large pizzas (So then - WHY were they on the menu!??!). So we ordered the two and our drinks. My bourbon and ginger was served in a TINY glass - seriously small. But the tab ended up being really inexpensive and we went back to our room on the first night very happy.

Breakfast the next day was not at all spectacular. It was decent and filling, but at $11 for a plate of eggs, I would expect a lot more bells & whistles. My $11 eggs did not even include a side of meat, and I loooove my bacon :)

The absolute worst was the afternoon/evening on the 4th of July. We got to 9380 at 4pm and were told as we were being seated that if we were not done with our food/drinks by 5:30pm, that we would be kicked out to make room for those who had "reserved" the tables for the BBQ put on by the restaurant. At 5:30p, a young man did come to our table and tell us that we would need to finish up and pay and get out - very abrupt and hellooooo we would have been willing to sit there and spend probably over $100. We were not going to make the wait staff lose out on their tips. Anyhow - not 5 minutes later, our waitress - who was lovely - told us that she had spoken to the General Manager and that we were given permission to stay at the table as long as we liked. Hoorah! But maybe 30 minutes later the same very sweet young lady came over to tell us that we needed to move inside to the bar instead, as this table was now reserved (???). She did however make a reservation for us to get the table back at 9pm so that we could sit and watch the fireworks in comfort. We ended up falling asleep in our room at 7p and never made it back! We were bummed to have missed the fireworks that evening.

So, this has been a very long story. To boil it way down - we loved the room - very, very comfortable. The location on the side of the street is noisy and if you come, be sure not to stay on this side. The hotel itself is VERY CLEAN, the staff is friendly but there appears to be some disconnect going on with their management staff. We would and will stay here again, but in a different room location AND we won't be eating at 9380 again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms on the street side. Very noisy, especially if you like to sleep with the w...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TheHutchens
Meredith R, Manager at The Elevation Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Hello The Hutchens,

Thank you for the 4 star review! I am glad to hear you enjoyed your trip to Crested Butte. It's not a bad place in the world, right? I appreciate the compliments on the comfort of your room, the cleanliness of the hotel, and the friendly staff. I have made note of the issues you experienced and will do my best to address them to ensure that we are consistently improving. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

I booked my room 4 months ahead of my stay over the 4th of July weekend. I called ahead a few days before and asked if we could get a slopeside room. The person I spoke to said we could get one on the sixth floor for an extra $25. I said great. I was really looking forward the sitting on the balcony and watching the fireworks. When we checked in we were told all they had was a room with absolutely no view what so ever (unless you consider the roof a view). I won't even get into the valet parking situation. Very unorganized. Too bad I paid for 2 nights. I won't be back here again.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Rootown

Hello Rootown,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value your feedback and use it to improve in the future. I understand why you were frustrated with your room situation. We were very busy this weekend, as you know, and unfortunately the room upgrades were given on a first-come first-serve basis. I know this wasn't clearly communicated to you and I wish I could make it right. I hope you were able to enjoy your weekend otherwise.

Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

This place could be so great! The food is good but the staff is young, slow and unmotivated! If this hotel wants to really compete it needs to step up the service!
Our room and view was beautiful and
The hiking was close.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank juliea2225

Hello Juliea2225,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback and will use it to improve our service at the restaurant as we continue to train our staff. I am glad you enjoyed your trip and I hope you will consider staying with us again so we can prove our potential.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

The hotel is beautiful, but noisey - we could hear every word from the family in the next room. We ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel, and the service is terrible. There are plenty of waiters, but they mainly stand around and visit with each other. When someone finally takes your order, it is a very long wait for your food, even though the dining room had only one other table occupied. This hotel is way overpriced.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Judith W
Meredith R, Manager at The Elevation Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Hello Judith,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write a review. We are actively working on improving our service in the restaurant but anticipating it becoming a well-oiled machine quickly. If you return, hopefully you'll agree!

Reviewed June 30, 2014

The room at this hotel was spectacular and the property itself was very nice. The only complaints we had (that many shared) was the hot tub was cold and they were short staffed so the shuttle was not running to town. Other than that, it was a fantastic hotel with amazing views.

Room Tip: We had the King Standard room and were very pleased.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello Angela B,

Five stars! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your vacation to Crested Butte! Thank you for the kind words and helpful feedback. I will check into the hot tub right away.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Although the staff was excellent, and the accommodations were nice and were clean, we probably would not stay there again. For summer travelers, be aware the rooms are not air conditioned. There is a patio door you can open, but for those with allergies that is not a great option. They have a "complimentary" reception in the evenings that shows up as a $20 resort fee on your bill. (Wish we'd have had more than a sip of wine and they hadn't run out of cookies) The parking area is not the most convenient.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello CurtColorado,

I am glad to hear you had good service and that you enjoyed your room during your stay at Elevation. I wish I could turn your "Jusk O.K." review into a "Best hotel ever!" review. Hopefully you will consider coming back one more time so we can show you the full potential of our resort. Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip to beautiful Crested Butte.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crested Butte
No photo provided
Paradise Crested Butte Condos
#6 of 7 in Crested Butte
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination Hotel
Stonebridge Inn, A Destination H...
#2 of 13 in Snowmass Village

Been to The Elevation Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!