“So So Lodge” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Crested Butte
Wisconsin
“So So Lodge”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2008

The Lodge experiance was ok, it was advertised as a Ski in - Ski Out right on the hill lodge but is actually a 10-15 minute walk from the lifts. This made coming in for lunch a bit of a chore.They do store your skis for pick up closer to the lifts, however no one informed us of this until our last day when we were hauling snow boards back to our room. There was also one set of elevators for our building and one was not operating. They also have no service elevator so all carts, food service ect. use the same elevator....talk about busy.
There are no stairs inside the building, all stairways exit directly outside to a locked door, so going down was not a problem but you could not use the stairs to go up to your room and avoid the wait for the elevators.

The rooms are small, the 4 person kitchenette is a single countertop burner and very confusing microwave / convection oven with no directions. Bring garbage bags because all you get is a mini plastic one which is far too small if your actually using the kitchen. Overall it was ok for how much time we spent in it.

Hot tub and pool area is very nice, however it was always a wet towel mess. Towels were always gone, we informed the front desk but ended up bringing down our room towels. Pool is 25% indoor and 75% outdoor so you can swim out of the cold if you want to.

The restaurant food was better than the reviews I had read on this site.

• Liked — pool area
  • Disliked — Lack of elevators and No stairs to go up to your room.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank filip3st

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Denver, CO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2007

My husband, me, and our toddler stayed in a 4th floor suite. That's right, a suite. Room and the hotel have nice appointments, but the service and management is unlike anything I've experienced. I had a 4 night stay and my room was not serviced--not even once, despite several polite requests each day. Upon arrival I immediately called the front desk because of an obvious black ring in the tub and a kinked hair in the sink's soap dish. I simply requested cleanser and offered to clean it myself. Request denied-- room service would come. Two hours and two more calls later, they left cleanser. As I was cleaning, I saw the filthy toilet: A dozen urine streaks down the front, with dust clinging to it. Obviously not cleaned throughout many stays. My toddler was already asleep, so I cleaned the bathroom and the kitchen myself as I didn't trust their staff's ability to properly sanitize any room in the hotel, and I wasn't about to move a sleeping baby. Day 2: I called to inquire around 4pm as to whether they intended to service the room. I was informed they were short-staffed. OK, then just get me some towels, dish soap, and toilet paper. It took 4 more hours and several calls, and only got towels. Day 3: I ran out of toilet paper in the morning and despite repeated pleas to pick it up myself throughout the day I got none. At 7 pm the kleenex ran out. I walked down to the manager who insisted she would personally see to it that I get T.P. immediately. One hour later I got a apology note from the manager: Nice, but it was 8 pm and I still had no toilet paper. Ultimately, my husband had to steal a roll from a public restroom downstairs. Every day we were there I had to beg for dish soap, a clean dish towel, bath towels, and shampoo because they would only give me one days' worth at a time. It wasn't just us-- the housekeeping staff said many guests were upset with them. No surprise there. Upon checkout we demanded and received a substantial discount. In my previous life as a business traveler I never would've tolerated 4 night in a situation like that, but I honestly thought each occurrence was some anomaly that'd be rectified. Unbelievably nasty, nasty stay.

• Liked — 30 second walk to base ski area, complementary slopeside storage, convenient free parking lot
  • Disliked — I felt the room was so dirty that it posed a health issue both in the bathroom and kitchen.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank busy-life
GLFOM, Front Office Manager at Grand Lodge Crested Butte, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
1/10/11

Since 2008, the Grand Lodge has undergone major shifts in management, including a new Front Office Manager, new Housekeeping Manager, new Chief of Engineering, and most recently, a new General Manager as of April 2010. Our new management team has completed extensive guest service training with an outside consulting company to ensure top-notch guest service.

We’ve made many improvements to the property as well, including a new pool and hot tub, new linens in all of the rooms, expanded kitchen utensils and new pots, pans, and dishware in rooms with kitchenettes, a remodeled business center, a new wireless internet system, extended basic cable channels, and most importantly, a new state of the art fire alarm system which has eliminated the false alarms that were happening frequently due to the antiquated system prior to 2008.

We hope that this information is helpful as you plan your Crested Butte vacation, and we look forward to welcoming you as our guest at the Grand Lodge Crested Butte.

Regards,

Grand Lodge Management Team
Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2007

Unfortunately, we had the displeasure of staying here for one night. After an 8 hour trek tfrom Denver through a snowstorm, all we wanted was to get a good night's sleep (our other scheduled accomodations had no electricity that night due to the several feet of snow they received in 24 hours). A good night's sleep was the last thing we received. We weren't woken once, not twice, not three times, but FOUR times in the same night. The first time, management checked somebody else into our room. We woke up to find somebody walking into the room! Then a phone call a couple of hours later (around 3 am), which was followed 5 minutes later by a knock at the door. Management had directed a couple to our room who were looking for some other guests. After convincing the couple that their friends weren't there, yet another knock 5 minutes after that! This time the couple returned with the management, at which point they asked again "Are you sure the other people aren't here?"

Do you think we got comped for the room the next morning? Nope. All we were offered was a cup of free coffee. After some pushing from our end, they finally agreed to comp our pet fee.

We're a pretty low maintenance type couple, so for us to post that this experience was horrid is really saying something. I'd say this place is great for the younger 20-something crowd, but if you want to sleep and be respected as a patron...avoid it.

Stayed December 2007
3 Thank bpoulsen02
nottinghamshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2007

Restaurant was great for breakfast and the staff very nice.
Room was lovely, all the staff were very friendly, service good.
pool nice, got a little busy especially the hot tub.
close to slopes, very good shuttle for downtown...recommend

Stayed February 2005
1 Thank skifanatics
Denver, Co
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2007

Upon checkin, I was assigned a room with west facing windows. There is no air conditioning, and the curtains were left wide open. It was at least 90 degrees and did not cool down until late in the evening.

Many of the rooms, including mine, overlook either the parking lot, or a central utility area that includes large air-conditioners and the dumpsters. Lots of noise all night long.

The restaurant was decent, the shuttle service to the town of Crestted Butte was free and on time, but I'll pick another place to stay next time I'm in the area.

I'd probably have had just as good a time setting up a tent in one of the nearby campgrounds. This place rates at best 2 stars - I've had better stays at much cheaper rates.

• Liked — Dining
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank jimmrr
Fraser, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2007

My husband & I enjoyed the room. The studio unit was larger than I expected. We had a King bed & a drop down Murphy bed. The room has a refrigerator, coffee maker & mini dishwasher. The TV was a flatscreen on the wall. Plenty of windows to have more sunlight in the room was great for mornings we wanted to wake up early. The room had a few issues: the closet door was off the track & the entry door trim was pulled halfway off. We didn't care and enjoyed the room. The staff is friendly and helpful about the area. The restaurant is ok- I would skip it next time and go into the town. I would stay here again.

• Liked — The size of the room, refrigerator in room, and plenty of windows
  • Disliked — The closet door was off the track & the entry door trim needed repair
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Victor, ID
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

The Grand Lodge in Crested Butte, Colorado is a fine full service slopeside condominum hotel. The front desk staff was great and the room was decorated nicely and well appointed. From what I understand these units had been recently renovated and it showed, they were very clean. The view was spectacular and the location perfect for the wedding we were attending.

My problem was the room temprature. I understand this hotel is at a ski area. But it was hot! It was August! It must be a reoccuring complaint as there was a nicely printed tent sign explaining how one might try to keep the room cool by closing the drapes during the day, and opening them at night, use of the fans available, etc. Our room was on the 4th floor and cooliing it was managable two out of four days. My cousins room was on the 5th floor and it was unbearable until late evening. Other cousins were in west facing rooms, again unbearabley hot on most days.

The buffet breakfast in the Firestone Grill was nice but at $11.95 and my 7 year son had a box of cereal, (you could not purchase just cereal or just a pancake) it was extreamly pricey! No kids breakfast menu! Luckily we brought food for breakfast in the room. We only ate breakfast in the grill once.

I have managed resort lodging in ski towns and also on the pacific coast for 12 years. Neither climates warrant air conditioning most months of the year, but I can tell you even the economy properties had air conditioning in the rooms. Most people expect it and ask for it! I think for the price $159/night and amenties provided not having a/c is a huge mistake. If you stay in the summer and want the view ask for an east facing room and plan to stay out of your room during the midday hours!

• Liked — view and pool
  • Disliked — no a/c
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
#1 of 9 in Crested Butte
Inn at Crested Butte
Inn at Crested Butte
#7 of 9 in Crested Butte

Been to Grand Lodge Crested Butte? Share your experiences!