“Great Food...Even Better Service”
Review of Wooden Nickel

Wooden Nickel
Ranked #32 of 67 Restaurants in Crested Butte
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Last night we went back to the Wooden Nickel for the second time in about 6 months. The Elk tenderloin was one of the best steaks I have ever had. Tender and perfectly prepared. My wife had a shrimp dish that she thoroughly enjoyed.

Great food can be enhanced or diminished by the service. Both times we've dined at the Wooden Nickel we've had the pleasure to be served by Sarah. She is professional, friendly and fully knowledgeable about her menu and the restaurant's wines. I make such a point of this because if you scroll down these reviews, you'll see on March 20 a very negative review posted by Robert C. We were at the table next to him and let me tell you that his version of the evening is a lie. It was he who was rude, loud and abusive to not only Sarah, but other members of the staff. This was on a Friday night, durning Spring Break. As busy as they were, the staff was polite and attentive to all their customers.

Robert C's actions were so out of line, that my college aged son turned to him and admonished him from talking to the staff that way. He response was to scream to my son to "shut the @#ck up".

As I told the restaurant manager that evening and felt it even more so last night, Sarah is the type of waitress that any establishment would be proud to have working for them.

Robert C, you're a jerk and a bully. I hope no reader gives your comments any credence.

There are newer reviews for Wooden Nickel

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I've eaten here twice. The portions are so large that both times I went away with First World guilt. I suppose some people like huge portions, but to me it was excessive. The asparagus was swimming in butter. The French Dip salad couldn't even fit in the bowl.

There was one fabulous part of our meal: the smoked trout appetizer. It was SOOOO delicious, and it could have been dinner for me, maybe with a cup of soup. That's what I order next time.

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We had a big group and everyone had fabulous meals! Chocolate cake is a must! Best ever! Only down fall was they couldn't break down the bill per person.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I don't think I've ever eaten a better steak. It was expensive but worth it probably. Fun atmosphere and nice menu. Place was clean and staff was attentive and friendly. Don't expect a low number on your check, but don't expect to be disappointed either.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband had the prime rib and liked it. I had the BBQ pork ribs and they were pretty mediocre. If you like huge portions though - this is the place for you.