“A Crested Butte Institution”
Review of Wooden Nickel

Wooden Nickel
Reserve with OpenTable
Wooden Nickel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 68 Restaurants in Crested Butte
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Its literally our first restaurant stop every time we come back into town to visit, this time for the 4th of July holiday. Eric, the owner, is almost always on hand to greet you as you walk in, and help you find the best spot to sit, as well as to get your drinks started after introducing you to your waitress. A high end menu might scare off many people from sampling some of the fare, but there are plenty of more reasonably priced sandwiches and other selections, that not only are far more affordable, but are still over the top in their portion size and taste. You still can't miss with any of the steak selections, all prime beef, of course, but I honestly had a problem with the taste of the elk tenderloin. One normally wouldn't expect to find good seafood in such a high country mountain town, but this place generally does a good business in its trout selections, as well as lobster, hallibut, and scallops. Now honestly, the last time I had the scallops, they were a bit undercooked, even though they were seared, and they were removed from my bill, even though I did not ask anything so drastic of the staff. Bottom line, this place is good, has a good reputation that it values, and will do what is necessary to make the customer happy. And you sure can't beat the atmosphere and friendly staff, to top it all off. Crested Butte is incomplete without at least one trip into the Wooden Nickel !!!

Reviewed June 5, 2013

We were warned at our bed and breakfast that the prices were high here and not worth what you received but we decided to venture in anyway. Our server immediately seemed to have an attitude with us. I believe she assumed because I wasn't with a man, that I couldn't provide her with a good tip. If only she knew..... Our dinner took 1 hour and 45 minutes in this establishment. There were 10 other people there. No, I wish I WAS kidding. The prices were shocking considering the atmosphere was equal to the average bar in the good ole USA.

Here's what saved this review from being a one star for me. The food. Yes. Sigh. The food..was ALMOST worth waiting for. Not quite...Almost. The Prime Rib was perfectly cooked and seasoned, even the sandwiches were nicely done. If it wasn't for the horrible service, lack of atmosphere and high prices...this would have been rated 5 stars. You guys could have more business if you would at LEAST correct the service issues and drop the prices a little....

Also...the menu could have had a bit more variety. Maybe just stop pretending you are an elegant restaurant and drop the a la carte options and throw in a salad and baked potato....It might just make up for the fact you are going to drop a hundred dollars in a bar.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

If you want to go back in time and sit at a bar with a huge moose behind you then this is your place

Reviewed May 28, 2013

It is not just the history that surrounds this landmark that brings you here, it is the magnificent porterhouse steak and cuts that are available. If you like meat, you are in for a succulent treat, that´s cooked to perfection regarding your likings. The entrees are vast and very, very good as well.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Went to the Wooden nickle based on recc's from the ski resort where we were staying, and from friends who had skied out there before. Arrived 15 min early for our reservation, had a drink at the bar & chatted with a local couple. When it was time to sit down (not a long wait at all) I requested the back dining room; and thats where we were seated. So far, so good. It took a little while for the server to get around to us, although there were only a few other tables occupied.

Menus were eventually delivered and we finished our drinks. talked to the server about the menu and ordered apps. At this point I would have hoped to get at least a glass of water; as hydration at altitude is important. No water, no bread. But we had drinks, so it wasn't so bad.

I had requested my bar tab from the server (twice), and then from the hostess. So we sat waiting and waiting. By now the crowd had dwindled to only 2 other tables, but still no water & no bar tab. When the apps came out the bartender brought my tab. Signed off & said "thank you".

The appetizers hadn't been on the table 5 minutes when, you guessed it, out came the dinner entrees. When I observed that we hadn't finished the first course the server was visibly annoyed with me, and stated the entrees could not go back to the kitchen because there was no place for them & they would be overcooked.

The server asked if I had a problem & I began to outline my complaints in a completely civil and normal tone, not wanting to appear angry but conveying my displeasure. No foul language was used, no shouting, no threats, no personal attacks.

The server said she was going to get her manager. I believe the person was the proprieter. He approached the table, extended his hand & introduced himself. I do not recall his name at this time. He inquired as to how we were enjoying the food, and then told us ther would be no charge for dinner, that we were free to finish & leave. He said he had a server up front (our server) in tears.

He never asked if there was a problem, never inquired as to my side of the story or what we had to say. He made a one-sided decision without gathering the facts.

For an expensive tourist trap, this place is hardly worth it. There is a better steak house (Maxwells) just next door. Try Maxwells instead.