“Best Sushi in Town?”

Ranked #21 of 66 Restaurants in Crested Butte
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: We are known as having the highest quality fish in town. Our fish is flown in 6 days a week within 24 hours from the docks. We offer a nightly happy hour every night at the bar from 5:30-6:30. In the summer we have a beautiful patio with heaters...and soon a fire pit table! We are a casual restaurant with a warm friendly charm, just like our town of Crested Butte. Private parties available and reservations are recommended but not needed.
Dallas, Texas
“Best Sushi in Town?”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Fresh, well prepared Sushi....in a country town in the middle of Colorado- you bet.
Good atmosphere, happy friendly staff.
Price point - as expected for sushi

Visited January 2012

Hot Springs, Arkansas
“Over priced”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Was not impressed with the food or the prices. Was expecting to spend a little more than normal, but was greatly disappointed in the sushi. If you are truly looking for a good sushi in the area try the Lobar!

Visited February 2011
Houston & Crested Butte
“Good Sushi/Nice folks”
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Love this place for sushi. Friendly and laid-back service with good food. I recommend.

Colorado
“I love Lil's, I just wish they loved me.”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I used to live in Crested Butte and would go to Lil's 2-3 times every summer when I was in the mood for sushi. Now living in Gunnison, I get up to CB a little less frequently, and am reminded every time why I moved away from the snooty snotty world of Crested Butte.

When I go out to eat by myself, I often get treated poorly or ignored completely, even though I am fully prepared to spend $50-70 on food and drinks, and to tip a full 20% at the very least. Servers should be fighting to get to me since I spend a lot, am very low maintenance, and knowledgeable about food so I don't have a ton of questions. The opposite is usually true, with no exception this time.

I stood in the doorway at Lil's for five whole minutes before I was even acknowledged. I was dressed nicely and clean shaven, so definitely not a bum. In front of me was a group of 6 that was taken to the table about a minute after I arrived. So far, no big deal; the hostess was busy taking them to their table. Then three women in front of me wanted to sit at the Sushi Bar, and spent a few minutes talking with the hostess about it, moving to the side to wait for a woman to finish who was almost done. Meanwhile there was an open single spot at the bar I had my eye on. Thinking maybe the hostess hadn't seen me, or maybe thought I was a part of another group, I stood directly in the middle of the doorway, trying hard to make eye contact with her every time she passed, which she did, four or five time, each time ignoring me, with not even enough time to say "I'll be right with you" or "Just one moment please." When the ladies in front of me had found their seats, I was again ignored for another minute, when finally the hostess while breezing by thought it was time to ask "Is there something I can help you with?" as if I was the UPS guy standing there waiting for her to sign for something. I responded "I'm here to eat dinner." which garnered a funny look from her. Question for Lil's staff: You are running a restaurant, right? Perhaps asking someone at the door what the heck they are doing there is not the best way to welcome a guest. Finally after the shock of me wanting to eat at their restaurant had worn off, she offered me the single chair at the sushi bar, which I had been staring at for five minutes. It seemed like everyone who was getting noticed was a local, frequent customer. Apparently you have to know someone to get in the door here. Things were off to a bad start.

I sat in front of Matt, the owner, as he is fun to watch work. His service was prompt, polite, informative, and friendly. The food was excellent as always. The prices are good, and I love the happy hour deals. My dessert was an utter disappointment however. The chocolate mousse is good, but $9 only buys you a dollop at best, and it appeared that mine was streched out by piping my mousse over a dollop of whipped cream which provided much of the volume, but was just propping up the small portion of mousse on top. It took over 10 minutes for my dessert to arrive, time I should have spent walking to the chocolate shop for dessert which I did anyways being so disappointed with my mousse portion.

Lil's was once my favorite place in the Butte. Maybe when I lived there they could sense I was a local and I got treated better. Now I live in Gunny and my money's no good. If CB restaurants want me to drive up for dinner, they had better get it together and stop looking down their collective noses at the general public. I may be back to Lil's to see if they want my money again sometime, but I'll have to see a noticeable difference in the way I am treated or it will be my last visit. At the restaurant at which I work, we would NEVER let someone stand at the door for more than 30 seconds without being acknowledged.

I am giving the service and atmosphere a 1-out-of-5 even though Matt was excellent, and I do like the decor and ambiance, just because they don't have a rating for hosting. The bar scene will be rated 5-of-5 to reflect Matt's good service.

By the way, I ran up a $58 tab eating by myself and tipped $20. You may want me back.

• Visited August 2011
4 Thank LovesEats
Dubuque, IA
“Great Sushi”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We enjoyed dinner from Lil's during our stay and ordered from their sushi menu. Ordered a few of their rolls and really liked their Sashimi Roll. All of the items were very good and we would recommend them on your next visit to Crested Butte.

• Visited July 2011