“Great Meal, Pleasant for Families”
Review of Maxwell's Steakhouse - CLOSED

Maxwell's Steakhouse
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dallas, Texas
“Great Meal, Pleasant for Families”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I went with my family for a nice meal at Maxwell's including a 3 and 4 year old. Some restaurants would treat you like a third class citizens for bringing wee ones in on a Saturday night, but the hostess was very nice to us, brought the little boys crayons, and even had kids cups. This was a pleasant find at a more upscale restaurant. The wine by the glass selection was nice, not very large but offered a wide variety. The three adults ordered the steak au poivre (delicious with a MOUND of fries), the petite filet (cooked perfectly and the cheesy orzo was amazing), and the steak pasta (a good hearty meal after skiing). The owner came up to greet and check on each table which added a nice personal touch. The ambiance made the restaurant feel cozy and upscale but the prices were still reasonable for a mountain town. I would certainly go back for a nice meal and wouldn't hesitate to take kids.

• Visited March 2013

Joplin, Missouri
“You can eat well here on a budget.”
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Although many of the dishes here are quite expensive by my standards, my husband and I were pleasantly surprised by our entree salads that we ordered. I had the Steak and Potato Salad and my husband had the Smoked Salmon Salad, which were $17 & $16 respectively. The salads were very large. Mine had a portion of steak that was probably about the same size as the Ladies Petite Filet ($32). The steak was very tender. The salad also had roasted potatoes, bleu cheese crumbles, bacon, tobacco onions, and tomatoes with a buttermilk steak dressing. My husband's salad had a very generous portion of smoked salmon that was delicious, which says a lot because I have tried salmon on multiple occasions and I have never liked it. Our kids had the macaroni and cheese and alfredo pasta. We were not impressed by the alfredo sauce, but the mac n cheese was pretty good. Other family members had the Rack of Lamb, Prime Rib, Ladies Petite Filet, and Wagyu Burger. Everyone was happy with their food. As a side note, if you go on your birthday, you get your choice of a free dessert or bottle of wine; however they don't give you the wine until after dinner to take home.

Chicago, Illinois
“Richard L”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I recently spent a week in Crested Butte and dined the final evenung at Maxwell's steakhouse. The four of us had an excellent experience and thoroughly enjoyed the brussell sprout and duck leg appetizers. The lamb chops and rib eye steak were enjoyed by all parties. Peter Maxwell was extremely attentive and provided excellent wine service. I strongly recommend Maxwell's.

• Visited March 2013
Germantown, Tennessee, United States
“steak dinner in crested butte”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

fantastic steak dinner, sauces were amazing, meat was super tender. salad was great, crab cakes fabulous. good wine menu, great atmosphere. make a reservation.

Visited March 2013
Sugar Land, Texas
“Not the Idle Spur”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Food was OK. Wine selection was good and fairly priced but service the night we were there was poor at best. But it is a ski town and that is what you get from time to time. This was the 1st time back since it was no longer the Idle Spur, which tells how long it has been since we had been to Crested Butte.

Visited January 2013