“Beautiful, But Not for the Faint of Heart...”
Review of Schofield Pass

More attraction details
Owner description: Between Crested Butte and Marble, this difficult road has narrow, steep passages.
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have been operating 4x4s in Colorado since 1978. Schofield Pass is my favorite. It is extremely narrow!!! When it says only for "Narrow high lift 4x4s with EXPERIENCED drivers" It is not kidding! In years past, I have run the pass ina Jeep CJ7. Last year I decided to run it in my 2013 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited. I was crossing from Crested Butte side so I was descending into the Devils Punch Bowl. About half way down I encountered a slide across an already dangerous section. I did not want to back up the pass so I crossed the slide as carefully as I could. These rocks were beach ball size and the Rubicon drug like crazy getting over even picking the best line possible. I made it to the bridge and the gate was closed and locked. Sign said ROAD CLOSED. Needless to say, padlocks are cheap and I was NOT going back up across that slide! It took 4 1/2 hours on a dealers frame machine to get my Jeep back close to right...so much for Jeep's Trail rated. The rest of the trip to Crystal City is not that bad and the Power House is a must see! I advise coming tfrom the Marble side if you just want to get to Crystal City. During the summer. Some of the locals have set up as vendors with snacks and books about the history of the area.

4  Thank ghostrider1964
There are newer reviews for Schofield Pass

Reviewed November 10, 2013

The road should be traveled by four-wheel only for un-experienced drivers. From the Crested Butte side, you'll pass through the valley that is known throughout the state for its beautiful spring blooms. At the summit is the trail head to the famous 401 biking an hiking trail. The first 3/4 mile is all uphill, but once at the top, the view is amazing. Looking north you'll see the backside of Breckenridge and the famous Maroon Bell peaks. From there, the trail is all down hill back to Crested Butte for 10-12 miles.

3  Thank Dave M
Reviewed October 14, 2013

So narrow and steep. No guard rails - you'll cry if you come to another car going in the opposite direction! Seriously!

3  Thank KCM828
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Scenic route is incredible. So much so that when I took a picture from my window of my car the photo appeared well thought out and structured.

1  Thank KaynLare
Reviewed September 21, 2013

A good portion of this road is super easy and can be traversed in a rental suv. However the section devil's punch bowl should only be attempted by experienced off roaders with the appropriate rig. We took the pass up from marble last week (9/18/2013) to the bridge then turned around. The excessive rain in colorado over the past few weeks has made it barley passable and extremely slick and dangerous. The runoff has pitted the road and left normally tame rocks exposed, jagged and slick. If you are new to the pass I would def check the conditions before attempting! Look it up in youtube before you go too, so you know what you are in for!