“Great drive!”
Review of Schofield Pass

More attraction details
Owner description: Between Crested Butte and Marble, this difficult road has narrow, steep passages.
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We have been going to Crested Butte ans Gunnison for years and decided to take the pass to Gunnison. This road had awesome views, beware that the road is like a washboard for about 2 miles but it is well worth the drive.

There are newer reviews for Schofield Pass

Reviewed December 18, 2011

In summer, it can be very crowded, so take your patience pill. Mountain bikes, motor bikes and hikers. If you have the chance to explore the hiking trails here, you won't be disappointed. Wildflowers are amazing, weather is great, trails are well marked.

Reviewed December 9, 2011

Drive up Slate River past the tiny town of Pittsburgh and then drive up some hair raising switchbacks to Paradise Divide. Hike Yule pass - it's an old mining road so it's relatively level except for a few spots where the trails been washed out. Then drop into Elko park and turn right onto Schofield road and go over Schofield pass down to Emerald lake (stop and throw some rocks) and then continue down into the old mining town of Gothic and grab a snack and some ice cream at the General Store and head back into Crested Butte! Awesome day! Requires a Subaru or higher clearance vehicle unless you're feeling brave.

3  Thank 3wing
Reviewed October 23, 2007

Indeed, there is so much to say about Colorado, but when it comes to the Schofield road between Marble And Crested Butte words cannot describe the beauty. You are so taken in by it you lose all sense...well common sense anyway. It all stared out as a fishing trip at Blue Mesa outside of Gunnison. A beautiful place, one of my favorites in all of the world. We were discussing our trip back to Denver, where I have lived my entire life. When he says "Hey! I have never seen Crested Butte, I would like to go there and I see a road here that will take 10 whole miles off our trip."

I agree, it would be nice to see Crested Butte again, I enjoy my visits there, so where is the harm? So we spend a few hours in the Butte and enjoy a nice lunch then head toward a town called Gothic. What a beautiful place, I could have spent days right there, but I had to be back to work the next day so time was short, so we headed out around 11:30 am.

The road got quite bumpy, but hey! We were in a Ford Ranger pickup, how bad could it get? then I began to see signs that said 4 wheel drive only, experienced drivers...blah blah. So I say to him, "Any idea where you are going?" Of course he did, he is a man after all! And...he had a map! Don't worry he says, remember Left Hand pass he says, that road was much bumpier he says! Alright..fine you drive I will just sit here and sulk and swallow my innards as they bounce into my throat. So we end up crossing a creek, then run into a sign that says "Dry your breaks" Does he dry his breaks? Oh hell no, he drives 18 wheelers for a living, why would he need to dry his breaks?

Next thing I know I am about 300 feet up on a shelf. looking down into the most pristine beautiful river I have ever seen. Sure there was a slight slant to my side off the shelf, but hey look at that gorgeous river! The plants and trees were all so breath taking, I could hardly believe a place like this existed in my own home state. I think I saw a bear, I am not sure but that is what I think. Wait...we are almost 400 feet above a raging river, in a Ford Ranger with no four wheel drive and we are sliding to the kiss your butt goodbye side of this very narrow, loose shale rock and no way another vehicle is going to pass us here place. That is when I really stopped looking at the scenery and had a come to Jesus moment.

We got to the place I now know as The Devils Punch Bowl, that is where I got out and walked! Well he kicked me out, but I was glad too! I have no idea how he got past the giant boulder that appeared to be jutting out in the middle of that trail...I call it a trail because baby...that ain't no road! Soon it widens a bit and I get back in the truck, still seeing my life just sort of flash before my eyes. Well if you are going to die, this is a great place for it! Soon we come over the top and I am staring down at what use to be someones car. That seals it for me... I know now that I am not panicking for no reason here. People drove a car off this thing!

A while later, I lost track from the terror of knowing that would be my last day on earth, we came across smoother road and then saw a sign that said "Drive slow through town" Town? I saw maybe three houses. Okay lets humor them and say town. And in the middle of the road of that town was well...the entire town out chatting together. I could tell by the look on one of the fellows faces that we were going to get a talking to. The man was very nice, he just said "So...you came over the pass....in that thing...Alrighty then." And who could blame him for getting a good laugh at our expense? I know that now, five years later, I sure do!

I saw an article of some nice fellows saying they took the pass in their Hummer. And I just had to share that we made it...barely in a Ford Ranger Pickup with no four wheel drive, and I do not recommend it for any one else who may read my story of fishing, lunch, and a short cut home. Take the long way! It is actually quicker!

Next time, I will bring a jeep, a winch and another group with another jeep! I loved the place overall, and for those of you with the common sense to use the right equipment for this kind of thing, I must say you will not be disappointed,

24  Thank Velleri