“I Love this place and the Owners”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Creede
Creede Snowshoe Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Creede B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 16, 2010

I read the reviews and was not surprised. I had a lovely stay and the breakfast was homemade Pecan flapjacks and ceral in a very charming room full of antiques. The
rooms are very clean, and the showers are great. I saw no better place to stay in this town which is an old mining town.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank Worland_10
There are newer reviews for Creede Snowshoe Lodge

Reviewed September 8, 2009

I've had some time to think about what I was going to write because of the holiday weekend and I'm glad I did. I was fired up last Friday when my husband and I stayed here, but I think I can just report the facts now.

I called at the last minute (for the Creede annual mountain run and salsa festival) and booked the last room they had at a rate of $86. The room was located across the street right next to a giant tour bus and neighbored a trailer park. There was one small window and no view, but I didn't really want one, given the surroundings. The motel has a batch of rooms connected to the office, a batch of rooms across the parking lot from them and then a group of rooms across the road. If you stay here, ask to NOT stay in the group across the road. You either face a major road (front rooms) or you literally share a dirt road with the trailer park and can see right in their windows and hear all the noise (back rooms).

The first weird thing happened when my husband was unloading our stuff into our room. He watched a young guy emerge from the trailer across from us and jump between two car's roofs and hoods. Very weird, but whatever, they're crazy kids in a small town, I guess.

So, the whole town is full of people getting up early and running the next morning. At 9:00 pm, the trailer across the dirt road starts playing this thumping music you would hear at a club or a rave. I went to the office and asked if this would be going on all night just so we could know what to expect (I mean, it was Friday night on a Labor Day weekend, I didn't want to be too unreasonable!). The owner assured me that "they will quiet down, don't worry about it" but I didn't feel too reassured. By 11:15 pm, I went across the street to the office again to ask if we could be moved or if there was something I could do (like a noise ordinance or something?). I rang the bell twice and waited but no one came down. Around this time I hear a loud voice from across the street cussing at me from the trailer, but the music stopped. So, I walked back and I'm sure the trailer park boys watched me go into my room. I was a little worried that they would smash my truck windows out. I know that might seem a little paranoid, but these guys were strange (drunk, on drugs, bored, not sure...but a bad combo to be sleeping by). Things were quiet until about 1:00 when the music blared again, but just for a couple of songs. At that point, I decided I'm wasn't doing the run in the morning because I hadn't had any sleep. In the morning, my husband decided he will still run and goes across the street to get me some coffee. He reports that "breakfast" is coffee cake and some cut up melon. I'm a huge fan of B&B's and isn't that some of the point? To serve a little more than a continental breakfast? I couldn't understand how B&B could be added to the name of this place. "Lodge" is a good place to stop.

Anyway, he leaves for the run and I pack things up and start loading the truck. Trailer park boys spot me as they are driving up (did they ever go to bed? It's 9:00 am!) and cuss at me again as they go into the trailer. Whatever, I am so over this place by now. I go across the street to drop off the keys and the woman who owns the place must have seen the look on my face and asked how everything was. I reported to them what I wrote on here and they were mortified and saying "He usually turns down the music! This is unusual! That you ringing the bell last night?" They knew the trailer park person by name so I was starting to get a little suspicious about the relationship between the trailer and the owners. Maybe they are family or something? Other than them being related, I couldn't figure out why those punks would listen to this nice couple when they ask them to turn down the music. But it did explain to me as to why someone would think it was a good idea to build motel rooms across a highway road and have them literally look into trailer windows--maybe they own that land too? Well, this was the stuff floating through my mind as the owner gives me a card offering me a free night there. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I would never stay here again...heck, I should have asked for my money back.

So, that all being said, the motel itself is what the reviews say. Clean, standard rooms with paper-thin walls. I had the pleasure of listening to our neighbors conversations too but I had read the reviews and brought earplugs (but they can't drown out thumping music emanating from thin trailer walls!). The room was a good size (as was the bathroom) and the bed was comfortable. The owners were very nice and even let all the runners come back and use two bathrooms/showers they have in the laundry area. That was the best thing about the stay since we were going camping for the next night (thank goodness! Peace and quiet!)--a free shower is a very generous offer after a 12 mile mountain run!

I was really disappointed that the experience from the trailer park soured my whole outlook on this place, especially since the owners seemed nice. If you come to Creede, you might want to consider some places in town--there were some really cute places on the main street. But if you do stay here, be absolutely sure you are not getting one of the rooms across the street!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RkyMtnHi
okstan, Owner at Creede Snowshoe Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

This situation happened several years ago and has not happened since. We do in fact have many people that request a room across the street because it's newer and quieter on the back side away from the street (motorcycles, etc). We are new owners as of March 2012 and have improved on Donna and John's hard work over the last 12 years. Remodeling has begun, new paint, many new menu items (homemade) on the breakfast bar, Microwaves and frig's in every room, ATV rentals available, and more to come. Please come and see !

Reviewed August 27, 2009

Some of the other reviews had me worried, but there were no problems here. Our room was one of the cleanest I have ever seen. Everything was modern and in very good repair. The owners were very accomodating and helpful for our special needs. I could not hear through the walls and the place was full. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2009

My husband and I stumbled upon the Snowshoe Lodge in Creede because we were traveling with our dogs and had been told the hotel was pet-friendly. Not only were they pet friendly, they were friendly in every other sort of way, as well. The nice proprietor rearranged rooms to accommodate us, and even had a mini fridge and microwave brought in for our convenience. The room was sort of 1950's-era w/faux wood paneling and old carpet, but everything was clean and worked well. The bed was incredibly comfortable, the TV was large enough to see and offered a decent # of channels and there was plenty of high-pressure hot water in the shower/tub. The hotel doesn't have A/C as far as I can tell, but perhaps they don't need it there...we never did. There is a laundromat ($1.25 each load) on the grounds as well as a free ice machine and free (security-enabled) Wi-Fi. The hotel is within easy walking distance to everything in town. We paid $75 per night plus $10 per night pet fee. They provide a continental breakfast in the lobby in the mornings, but if you are a heavy eater you will need to search elsewhere as this will just whet your appetite. The coffee is good and plentiful. The only drawback I experienced is with noise. The hotel is a strip layout and all the parking is out front and the windows to the rooms face front. If you have a noisy car drive up or other folks are talking or laughing outside they sound like they are in the room with you. That only happened to us once in three nights, though, so I wouldn't call it a big issue. If you are a super-light sleeper, it may annoy you a bit more.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Travelswithmutts
Reviewed June 18, 2009

I have stayed at the Snowshoe several times in the past few years. The rooms are nice and clean and well-maintained. The owners are so friendly and very hands-on. They can also direct you to hiking fishing, hunting, and nightlife spots in the vicinity. Creede is a seasonal town and if you are visiting there, the Snowshoe Lodge is the place to stay!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank bigbidness
Reviewed April 10, 2008

My son stayed for a couple days in this hotel and we stayed in another property. The rooms are typical for a low-end budget motel. Traffic runs right outside your door and the location backs up to a trailer park. Noise and seedy characters all hours of the night.

The walls are paper-thin and you can hear the snores and other activities of your neighbors. The interior of the rooms is small, plain and DRAB. The rooms are clean but the linens and towels are almost as thin as paper towels.

The owners are very nice but calling this a Bed & Breakfast is like calling a cardboard box a 4 star lodging establishment. The breakfast is dismal and the amenities are non-existent.

We overheard that the owners have been trying to sell the business for many years now and there have been no takers. It is obvious why no one wants to buy the property let alone stay there.

In a town so beautiful and so many quality-lodging establishments I recommend you stay somewhere else and wait for new owners to fix this place up.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 21, 2007

We have stayed at the Snowshoe in Creede numerous times for the past several years. The people who manage the property are very nice and always friendly. It is a pleasure to deal with them. The rooms are clean and simple, but have all the necessary amenities. Creede is a seasonal town, but the Snowshoe is reliable lodging anytime. Can't be beat for location, convenience, and value for the $$$.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Creede
Spruce Lodge
#2 of 2 in South Fork
Texan Resort
Texan Resort
#9 of 21 in Lake City

Been to Creede Snowshoe Lodge? Share your experiences!