De Vere Wokefield Estate
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
$116
Travelodge Reading M4 Westbound(Burghfield)(Great Value!)
$65
$56
Roselawn Hotel(Burghfield)
TripAdvisor
2,058 results
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

As a member of De Vere Mottram Hall which is excellent with friendly staff and great service I am very disappointed by Wokefield Park and expected more. The first room they tried to fob off on me had a damp problem with a very pungent smell which was uninhabitable. I asked to change rooms and reminded them of my membership at their property in Mottram Hall. The second was a shoe box so they obviously don't care about their premium and loyal customers. I gave up by then after transferring rooms (250m away to their 'Mansion House' in the dark) to the 3rd floor old servants rooms. I'm sure the 'Mansion House' was once lovely but now it's in need of care and attention. The breakfast was mediocre with no English breakfast option, only continental. And I found the staff on the whole inattentive and not caring of their clients. I won't be coming back.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Thank you taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay, I'm sorry that you felt let down by your recent stay. We do have a rolling maintenance programme in place here at wokefield and try to ensure that all guest experiences are positive, please accept my apologies that you felt let down on this occasion.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Arrived in the dark & had real issues finding the entrance as not well lit & 2 sat navs didn't get us there!!... Beautiful location, very pretty & tranquil. Great facilities & free tea & coffee in lobby so real bonus!... HOWEVER... Our room was not great, ground floor & no nets so anyone could see in (opposite a car park so not great)... Damp in bathroom, masking tape holding up skirting board, handle on bedside cabinet broken & dust & dirt!... Would recommend paying an upgrade in mansion house, executive is very much needing an upgrade!

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for your recent feedback, I would like to send my apologies if you felt that your room was not up to standara on this occasion.
Regards

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Very impressed with this place and it surpassed our expectations as the reviews on here weren't great.

The room was quite basic but comfortable. The best bit was the entertainment. The swimming pool was lovely and not busy at all. We also had a go at the table football and pool table in the reception area. It was nice that there were so many places you could just sit and have a coffee or watch the TV.

We also loved the Nintendo Games bar with free use of two wii consoles and several 3DSs. Again with free tea and coffee on offer.

We ate in the bar and there was a good food selection and even though there wasn't a kids option they said we could order something from the restaurant that they could bring down too.

The bar staff were really friendly and the food didn't take too long. The quality really wasn't great so probably wouldn't eat there again.

Breakfast however was excellent and well worth the cost. There was a great range of cereals, juices, fruit, pastries etc. and the cooked breakfast was really tasty and kept nice and warm. It was good coffee too.

We would definitely like to return. The staff were all really friendly and we had a really enjoyable stay.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your recent comments here on trip advisor.

Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here as a part of my business conference.
The staff were very attentative, and the quality of the rooms were good, all be it a long walk to my room.
Breakfast was excellent as it is in most De Veres.
Would recommend for any business function.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent review.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed as a couple as we both had business in the area. It is set in quite stunning countryside, but sadly the good points end there. We booked for 5 days, but left with a refund after 2.

The service in the bar after we arrived was appalling: over an hour's wait for inedible pizza and salad, despite there being fewer than ten customers in. The waitress was incompetent and disinterested with absolutely no sense of urgency (although the manager did resolve this well by inviting us to eat at the alternate restaurant instead, along with another couple who had encountered the same problem). There are many charming village pubs in the area that serve food and decent beer at very reasonable prices and to use them instead was a no-brainer thereafter.

The worst aspect however was the cleanliness. Our room was very badly in need of a deep clean. There was;

-Lots of mould where the shower joins the wall
-Bathroom wallpaper peeling off and covered in spots of mould
-Mixer taps that looked like they'd never seen a cloth
-Thick dust on surfaces
-Grime on the radiators and switches (that easily came off with a wet-wipe)
-Filled in holes that hadn't been painted over.

To be honest, we should have rejected the room, but we'd arrived in the dark and were tired after a long drive, so just dumped our bags and went to get some dinner. On returning to the room we realised the extent of the issues, and resolved to report it all to reception and insist on a deep clean the following day, which we did.
Imagine our dismay to return from work the next day to discover that just one of the faults had been fixed (the mould around the shower, presumably because it was the first one we mentioned)

Needless to say we demanded again that housekeeping give the room the clean it needed and were assured that this would happen. But, sure enough when we got back later that day, they'd simply ticked another one of our complaints off - the towel rail had been given a bit of a dust.

It was too late to leave so we went to reception and informed that we would be checking out the next day. The lady on reception was apologetic (in fact all the reception staff were very polite) although if I was the manager of this place, i'd be mortified that people were cancelling on hygiene grounds and want to speak to them to resolve.

To put this into context - we have stayed in many low-budget places (including in Albania and Moldova, the poorest countries in Europe) and never felt the need to write a less than average review (check our others) so we aren't the sort of people who delight in listing petty grievances on Tripadvisor, but the level of service at Wokefield Park is simply woefully inadequate for the status the hotel purports to have.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank LizzieB816

Thank you for your feedback, I am extremely dissapointed to read your comments here on trip advisor. I will be looking into these comments with my team and addressing with the relevant departments.
Regards