“Oh Dear, De Vere!”

De Vere Wokefield Estate
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was NOT what we were expecting. On arrival the drive in to the property is pleasant. The golf course looks quite good too (non-golfers' assessment). However, this place is utterly schizophrenic. For a start, it's pretty hard to even find reception, especially when from the website you'd think you were staying in the attractive old mansion house - the reality is, you're probably staying in the 'modern' block, which looks okay on the outside, but is hopelessly shabby on the inside.
The hotel really need to do something to enforce proper parking too - I have never seen so many cars taking up two (or even three!) parking spaces in my life! We had to park right at the other end of the property!
Once in reception, the service was slow but passable. The inside of the building looks like a fake street and, bizarrely, you can buy a Mini or BMW alloys...There is also a BMW training academy on the site...
Anyway, whether that is to your taste or not, at least it is clean, which is, quite frankly, more than can be said for the residential parts of the building, which remind me of a rather delapidated leisure centre I used to use when I was a school kid.
Our room was passably decorated in parts. There's no air conditioning (this doesn't bother me, but is a no no for many). The paint was peeling off the walls in our bathroom. The painting and grouting had been redone but the gloss hadn't even been wiped down afterwards. The bed was comfortable and fine, and there was tea and coffee etc. Basically the room would have been great when it was first done, but I think that was some time ago!!
The hallways between the rooms are cobwebby and full of stacked chairs etc. There were food crumbs on one of the carpets, and another was so threadbare it had been repaired with duct tape!!
The food setup in the hotel is bizarre. The restaurant is a buffet (school dinners, anyone?) and the a la carte can be found in the noisy sports bar downstairs. I understand that there is another restaurant over in the mansion house, but we couldn't access this - there was a wedding on (we gathered when we went to look - there weren't any signs!).
I have to say that the standard of food we had here was okay at night (pub better than buffet). However, there literally WASN'T any continental breakfast when I looked the next morning.
Restaurant staff were variable - one or two stood out as trying very hard under difficult circumstances.
The pool is okay - it's quite small but there is a sauna and a bubble pool, which were pleasant. The pool is COLD though!

This hotel is trying to do a hundred things at once - conferences, golf, outdoor activities, weddings, spa - and failing at a number of them. Although it's probably a passable conference venue, it's a BAD hotel, and as a guest you just feel like an inconvenience.

What really bothers me is that none of the modern buildings are shown on the cleverly taken photographs on the website - the advertising media is highly misleading. We thought we were staying in the pretty old Mansion House - BEWARE- unless your booking specifically says so, you'll be in the modern building off to the side.

Bottom line - I was very disappointed with this place. I'd have been disappointed if it was a £45 a night roadside inn chain. This just isn't good enough. De Vere higher management - if you're listening, this particular site is damaging your brand. I won't be staying with De Vere again at all, my time off is too hard earned and infrequent to be spent in a place like this.

Room Tip: Make sure you're in the Mansion House!! Can't vouch for these, but they've got to be bet...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VolcanoCat
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you very much for your review. Your comments are appreciated to help us continually improve our venue. We are indeed a very busy and diverse site with many different offerings for corporate or leisure guests. If you are used to our Hotels brand we are a bit different in terms of offering. However we are all about looking after our valued customers and would hope you give us a second chance to demonstrate this. Tell us exactly what you would like and we will ensure we deliver it !
Best wishes
James Gardiner – Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,003)

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Hotel room itself wasn't too bad but the food was surprisingly very very good and plentiful

Props and special mention to one of the catering staff Vicki/Vicky who was extra helpful and pleasant when it came to (and also a good looker)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for your very positive review! Lovely feedback!

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Fabulous grounds, nice spa, good golf course, nice rooms, easy to get to, good food. Ive been here numerous times with events with work. Good value for the standard of service. I would recommend this for business in the week and families at the weekend.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back for more of the same great stuff in the future.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

You would have to go some way to find a hotel worse than this.
Having stayed in 100’s of hotels around the world this is by far the worst.

Stayed here on route back from Wales to London as an overnight stay as I was in no rush and thought I could get a round of golf in.
Having stayed here before I knew the place was not up to much, but as the price is comparable to Premier Inn with added bonus of having a golf course I choose this hotel as a stop over, if I’d known what I was in for I’d of just driven straight by and continued back to London.

I booked both hotel and Golf a long way in advance and received confirmation of both via email.

The drive into the Hotel is very pleasant and the hotel itself looks appealing. Check in was easy and the hotel lobby looks quite pleasant and bright with plenty of free coffee stations to be found.

The room was a bit musty but functional, the pool is about the size of a kiddie’s paddling pool with the changing rooms although having lockers did not actually have locks on them. The Bar was noisy and expensive.

I decided to check that there was no problems with the golf booking so went into the golf shop that is very small (if you get 4 people in there it is crowded) The booking for 2 of us was in place, having played here before I asked how busy it was and was informed that it was packed, knowing that there always seems to be a delay around the course I questioned the spacing between tee times and was informed that a round of golf there takes at least 5 hours (far to long for a Par 72 6500 yard course) and tee times are spaced at 8 mins each. Whilst sitting in the bar (next door) trying to make my mind up if I could be bothered to play the following day knowing that I would more than likely be held up by players in front and having to rush as I had players behind as eager as me to not lose rhythm and sit around waiting in-between shots I did some basic maths 5 hours a round equates to about 17 mins a hole, I therefore came to the conclusion that as the first 2 holes were par 4 holes (2 shots to the green if you are lucky) would mean that when you are putting out there would be a group 8 mins behind you waiting to take there second shot to the green and a group 8 mins behind them waiting to take there first shot, now at 17 mins a hole this does not work as the group trying to take there first shot will be a minute behind before they even start this minute will continue to grow for each group that starts ( I was proved right when I turned up at the first tee they was running 20 mins late and there was 3 groups in front of me waiting to tee off) this does not promote a nice relaxing game of golf but more of a rushed scramble to get around.

Back to the Hotel the walls were very thin to say the least and it would appear that we had been roomed between a lot of people attending a function within the hotel grounds that night, we could hear all there conversations about what they was wearing and how they should do there hair etc.

After going to sleep we was woken up by the partygoers returning at around 1.30am obviously a little worse for wear. They then decided to continue the party in the room and along the corridor with people coming and going until 5 am. I called down to reception and they said they was aware of the problem and was dealing with it. An hour passed and still the party was going, I then decided to go to reception and demand they do something about it (another resident who was in a family room with his young child confronted the party goers and was verbally abused and had the party goers banging on his door in retaliation and threatening to let the fire extinguishers off in his room) Fair play to the man on reception he did come up read the people the riot act and ask them to keep it down, which they did for about 15 mins.

Needless to say I was not to happy when I got up the next morning and asked to see the duty manager who turned out to be the restaurant manager of about 25 years in age, I could see the poor woman was stressed and maybe a little out of her depth with the amount of complaints she had received, she offered us free breakfast as way of compensation, I explained that I was not interested in Free breakfast or in fact anything free and all I wanted was an explanation as to why they had allocated me a room and a young family a room in the middle of some partygoers (I had confronted a couple of the partygoers before going to see the manager and they said that as they were going to the party at the hotel they got a cheap rate for the room on the basis they took at least 10 rooms) The duty manager did not know and took my details down and would get a senior manager to call me the next day (Monday) that was 2 months ago and still no call

I will not be returning to this hotel until they sort the rooms out including the allocation (2 months and no call so they obviously are not bothered) and sort the timing out of the golf tee times which is an easy fix all they need to do is not cram as many people as possible out every day (again highly unlikely as this would cost money)

I’m going to Wales again in August however I’m coming straight back to London and giving this hotel a wide berth

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Edward B

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Please feel free to contact me at the venue if there is anything further I can assist with. I hope you get to give us another chance and am sure we can win you as a fan.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I have used this location over many years but in recent times feel it is losing its quality- The last few times I have stayed there I have had problems with the rooms and the service is definitely not what it has been. Faulty TV signals, poor plumbing, faulty door keys, heating radiators not working etc

Often you have to wait a long time for reception to answer or to action things. You can also see that the fabric of the building is being eroded - a few years ago it was excellent but today you can start to see signs of the property beginning to fade - worn carpets / banged furniture.it is not bad but not what it was and the service is definitely a lot slower and poorer than it used to be. Having to wait for them to open up the breakfast room in the morning as they are not ready sums up how the service is slipping

Shame really as the facilities are really good - great and bright rooms and good location. I hope they can pick up the pace and get it back to where they were

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ichdien000

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Clearly some points for us to look at as a team – many thanks for highlighting.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I booked my Husband a golf coaching weekend with the Pro at Wokefield Park. The golf was fantastic the hotel appalling.

When we arrived with no welcome greeting we were asked to pay for the room!! making us feel like criminals!!

We asked them to confirm our reservation in the restaurant which we had made several weeks before. The reply - you can't have a reservation as we have a wedding in the restaurant tonight! nobody had contacted us beforehand, no apology!

They booked us into the buffet restaurant and said they would send a menu to our room as we were unhappy with this option. The menu never arrived!! We got a taxi and went for a meal locally.

All the hall carpets were heavily stained, a bread roll remained stuffed in the hall radiator during our stay. The bathroom was disgusting, mould to tiles/shower frame, urine stains to WC pedestal and walls behind!!

We had breakfast delivered to the room, warm bread (it had not been toasted), no jams or marmalade!!

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Viv H

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Chose this hotel as it was only 20 mins away and allowed for a break away from work with my partner. The website made us very excited and we booked with haste. I contacted the central reservations and spoke to numerous staff all very courteous and professional. I was offered the breakfast, bed and dinner package which I found was great value.
On arrival we again in awe by the location and surroundings. Receptionist was very friendly and advised that dinner would be served in the Executive Center. Our room was clean and comfortable and nice and cool as it was a scorcher. Our complimentary wine arrived with again great service. The bar service was great. All staff - as there was about 5 or 6 barmen we saw were all very friendly.

All was going great until...dinner time. We walked across to the Executive Centre. We got to the waiting area and our jaws dropped as there was almost complete chaos. The restaurant was very full yet we struggled to find any staff. We waited to be seated and as we did we realized that this restaurant was not of the standard of which was displayed on the website and that we were totally overdressed as most had shorts and t-shirts on. We were told by the waitress that we should help ourselves to the buffet. That meant getting your own water and your own wine. Not what we were expecting. We then walked to the buffet to start our selection but there was hardly anything left. Salads had coleslaw and plain couscous along with many other empty ban-marie's. The mains were something that would be served at a school and lacked imagination. The desserts were either melted or so badly dished that you couldn't see what it was. Again, not what we were expecting.
We barely touched our meal and decided to return tho The Mansion House. We asked to speak to management and were asked why we were not informed of the standard of dinner we would be receiving. They couldn't give us a answer. Had we had known we would of quite happily ordered at the bar or in our room. But the noisy disorganized rather canteen-like display we saw was very disappointing.
We were met with a very lovely manageress by the name of Nicky and she apologized profusely and in turn offered us room service. She was very sympathetic and professional and got 5 stars from us for the way she handled our complaint. As a fellow Hotelier I take my hat off to her.

We returned to the bar to have a night cap but by that time the wedding party had progressed through and it was a 10 or 15 min wait for a drink as there were only 2 barmen. I saw many other guests which were not from the wedding wait and walk away. So we decided to retire and had a few disturbances in the evening but our room was right opposite the wedding venue so that was expected.

The following morning a complete different story - breakfast was fantastic. I wished we had come down sooner!

For all the positives my partner and I will be happy to stay again. Just wont be visiting the Executive Centre unless my pack my jeans and t-shirt :)

Room Tip: 101 is right very close to the function area, be warned if there is wedding or a function on.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. Hope to see you again in the future for more of the same great stuff and in the meantime we’ll look at the points you feel we could improve on.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratfield Mortimer
Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading
Tylney Hall
Tylney Hall
#1 of 1 in Rotherwick
Premier Inn Reading South (Grazeley Green)
Travelodge Reading M4 Westbound
7 mi away
Apollo Hotel Basingstoke
Apollo Hotel Basingstoke
#10 of 13 in Basingstoke
Highfield Park
Highfield Park
#1 of 1 in Heckfield

Been to De Vere Wokefield Estate? Share your experiences!