“Good Hotel”

De Vere Wokefield Estate
Bembridge, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Lovely setting and nice friendly welcome, free tea and coffee in reception area, clean modern bedroom and bathroom and comfy bed too, good breakfast you could help your self (juices, coffee, toast, fruit, pastries and cooked, good selection) would stay again,

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your great review! Nothing more to say than we look forward to seeing you again for more of the same!
James Gardiner – Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Beautiful hotel in a great location..and that's the good bit done. The staff are idiots and the service was appalling. I had to call the reception 5 times to bring items to the room that should have been there like the iron, hair dryer, kettle, mugs etc. The rooms were very badly lit and I could not see very much of what I was doing. Everything took them so long and they were not accommodating at all; in fact, they were damn right rude and difficult. I would not go back and would suggest you STAY AWAY

Room Tip: Don't go!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Manish132
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear that you feel so strongly regarding the dissatisfaction with your stay with us. I completely agree that the items you have mentioned should have been in your room and not things that would have been chased up. I receive a great deal of positive comments about the team here and as part of our venue ethos it is so important that our team are efficient, accommodating and loving our customers. We have taken your comments very seriously and are investigating. Thank you again for your feedback. I would urge that you do try us again as you certainly have not seen us at our normal high standards.

Travelers are raving about these Stratfield Mortimer hotels

Friendly helpful staff
Complimentary refreshment stations
Comfortable beds
Driving range
Small gym, pool, jacuzzi and sauna

Niggles
Carpets throughout the hotel have seen much better days
Lack of extractor fans in bathroom makes for a very steamy room
No fridge in room

Poor
Food. Waited over an hour for some Chilli ordered in the sports bar. Food arrived and the mound of rice was rock solid and the Chilli itself was mediocre.
Paid for the set menu in the Grill as we liked the sound of it and on both occasions they had run out of the dishes we wanted with no prior warning. I would have tried my chances and saved some money back in the sports bar had we known.

This lovely (but tired) venue is let down very badly on the food front. Wokefield Park is in the middle of nowhere, which is not a bad thing if you wanted to get away for some peace and quiet, but it's not really like you have much by way of choice for alternative dining. Mortimer is 5 mins by car - nothing there worth reporting. Reading is a 15 min drive.

This hotel could be so much better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on first floor (away from slamming security doors)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thanks very much for your review. Some great positives there but I am sorry for the points you feel we need to improve on. We will be reviewing these as a team to ensure we take action as required. There is a small area of the venue which is ready for some new carpet. This is in the process of being arranged and will really add to the consistent quality of our facility. I have raised you food related comments already to our Executive Head Chef and Restaurant and Bar Managers to review. In the meantime I would like to apologise for some blips in our food and service which are not indicative of our normal standards. Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you again for a really positive third stay!
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We booked 3 rooms for £20 per room on one of the DeVere deals. So, you pay £10 a head and what do you get?

A room for the night - a nice room at that.
Use of the leisure facilities - pool & sauna.
Free flowing coffee/Tea/Milk (&Biscuits)
Fresh air - 240 acres of open space
Lots of internal space to wander around - a Nintendo lounge, table football and a pool table..
Reasonably good service.

It was very cold when we visited, so we couldn't make use of the tennis courts, crazy golf or driving range - presumably Wokefield would be a great place to relax when the weather is good.

This all equates to possibly the best hotel deals available in the UK at the moment. We have stayed at several DeVere venues and I can never quite understand how they can offer so much for so little.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mibrah
Thank you very much indeed for your lovely review. These kinds of exceptional deals are just what we do and I am delighted that you and your family have enjoyed your stay! See you again for more of the same and fingers crossed for some fantastic weather next time!
Tadley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Booked a twin room for a Zumba weekend. Appeared to be very good value, 2 x zumba sessions, evening meal, accommodation and breakfast and lunch included.

Signage in and around the hotel was extremely poor.

Arrived at the 2.00pm check-in time only to find our room wasn't ready. This was understandable as sometimes previous occupants check-out late. 40 minutes later our room still wasn't ready but we needed to change for our Zumba session and really did not feel like emptying my suitcase in the foyer to do so. The extremely rude reception staff gave us one key and said we could go up and use the room but the cleaner may still be there, which she was. Managed to change with the door open to the corridor (!). The corridors were cold and very musty smelling. The cleaners were all foreign and did not respond to questions asked.
The shower although adequate shot water all over the bathroom, hitting the bathroom door. Too few towels.

Could not complain about the room too much although it was small for a twin. The evening meal was good. Only managed to achieve about 2 hours sleep that night due to the fact the heating in the room (231) was broken. Traditional radiators are nice but when the thermostat on it was broken and we had no way of turning it off we had to sleep with both windows open and it was freezing outside due to snow. The room above had some extremely heavy footed people there who were still traipsing around at 2.30am.

Joined our Sunday morning Zumba session after breakfast in which the staff did not feel the need to offer us coffee or tea etc... but as this was freely available in the foyer was not too much of a problem. Having gone back to our room we found our room keys did not work. Apparently the reception staff had checked everybody out at 10am when our checkout was not until 2pm. These had to be reinstated. Again, the staff were not very polite or courteous and turned their backs when we were trying to explain that we were not happy.

At lunch we waited 40 minutes for our food. Not good when this was ordered at 1pm and our check out was at 2. Had to rush lunch to collect our luggage in order to check out on time.

My overall experience of staying at Wokefield Park has left a nasty taste in my mouth. Its unfortunate as it's in a lovely area.

I feel the staff should have some etiquette lessons regarding how to treat possible repeat customers. I did not feel valued at all.

This may be a 3 star hotel, but it definitely does not deserve it.

Room Tip: Ensure the heating is working properly and can be adjusted.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your review and my sincere apologies that you have not had a good experience with us. We will certainly take your points on board and action as necessary. Our Zumba weekends are a new thing for us and we felt they had gone really well. We are reviewing this offering so will certainly add your feedback to this review. Certainly around the attitude elements of your feedback we will ensure this is dealt with immediately as this is not what we are about as a friendly, helpful team. We have 24 hour maintenance support so if you are ever with us again, just let us know and we’ll get anything fixed that needs it. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your points further so please do feel free to contact me directly at the venue.
Tadley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The worst hotel I have ever stayed in!!! Staff very unhelpful, with an attitude to match. Room was not ready on arrival, was then sent up to the room only to find the maid still in the room. The sheets where falling apart and by the looks of it so was the ceiling, the shower leaked, the tv did not work and the radiator could not be turned off at night. broken lifts, the list is endless!!
Food in the restaurant was OK ish, could not use for lunch as priority given to conference guests, had to order from the bar menu instead, nearly an hours wait for food, that was disgusting anyway. The whole experience was a joke, including the classes that we attended, the instructor and her team where there for nothing more that a drunken weekend away!!

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am very concerned to hear of your dissatisfaction in so many areas; not at all what we are all about. I would very much welcome the opportunity to further understand your concerns with an aim to resolve them. As I cannot ascertain any further details about you, if you could contact me at the venue (01189 334000) I would appreciate the chance to put things right.
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I'm lucky to have stayed here in such a plush hotel.I was a guest thanks to my husbands company. I assume it's 4*. My view is based on how I think I'd have scored it if I were paying the going rate for such an establishment.
Signage to our room was poor.At least 2 other couples we chatted to had difficulty "reaching their destination" on first attempt. Room was good but bed looked tatty underneath.The lack of vallance showed worn material.One thing that was poor was having no fan in the ensuite so one short shower produced mega condensation with no dry areas in the unit for clothing etc.
Loads of facillities on site but weather was freezing. Staff all seemed very nice & helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. We have assessed, quoted and ordered extra signage to make our guests initial experience of us even better! Also we are taking action on a handful of rooms that need some extra fan assistance. There are some real positives in your review and I’m delighted you found the team to be very nice and helpful. We hope to see you again soon for a perfect stay!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratfield Mortimer
Tylney Hall
Tylney Hall
#1 of 1 in Rotherwick
Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11

Been to De Vere Wokefield Estate? Share your experiences!