“Oh dear!!!!!!”

De Vere Wokefield Estate
Reviewed March 25, 2013

The worst hotel I have ever stayed in!!! Staff very unhelpful, with an attitude to match. Room was not ready on arrival, was then sent up to the room only to find the maid still in the room. The sheets where falling apart and by the looks of it so was the ceiling, the shower leaked, the tv did not work and the radiator could not be turned off at night. broken lifts, the list is endless!!
Food in the restaurant was OK ish, could not use for lunch as priority given to conference guests, had to order from the bar menu instead, nearly an hours wait for food, that was disgusting anyway. The whole experience was a joke, including the classes that we attended, the instructor and her team where there for nothing more that a drunken weekend away!!

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am very concerned to hear of your dissatisfaction in so many areas; not at all what we are all about. I would very much welcome the opportunity to further understand your concerns with an aim to resolve them. As I cannot ascertain any further details about you, if you could contact me at the venue (01189 334000) I would appreciate the chance to put things right.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I'm lucky to have stayed here in such a plush hotel.I was a guest thanks to my husbands company. I assume it's 4*. My view is based on how I think I'd have scored it if I were paying the going rate for such an establishment.
Signage to our room was poor.At least 2 other couples we chatted to had difficulty "reaching their destination" on first attempt. Room was good but bed looked tatty underneath.The lack of vallance showed worn material.One thing that was poor was having no fan in the ensuite so one short shower produced mega condensation with no dry areas in the unit for clothing etc.
Loads of facillities on site but weather was freezing. Staff all seemed very nice & helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review. We have assessed, quoted and ordered extra signage to make our guests initial experience of us even better! Also we are taking action on a handful of rooms that need some extra fan assistance. There are some real positives in your review and I’m delighted you found the team to be very nice and helpful. We hope to see you again soon for a perfect stay!

Reviewed March 24, 2013

This probably was the worst hotel experience I've ever encountered. The price may have suggested "premier Inn" but in reality it fell well short of this. Certainly not the standard or value for money you'd expect from a De Vere hotel or venue. The experience is best described in a series of bullets:

- Musty smell throughout hotel corridors and room.
- Dark, dingy and tired hotel room, although the bed was very comfortable.
- Window latch and television broken in room, shower not adjustable.
- Essentials in room (pen, paper, tissues, drawers and hangers) none existent.
- No lift working to upper floors. First impression of hauling cases up stairs not good.
- Bar area tired and unwelcoming, although lunch menu was good.
- Priority given to conference guests throughout. Had to leave bar area to accommodate conference party, with only late breakfast sittings available to private guests.
- Restaurant for dinner (bake and steam grill). Food tasteless and cold with kitchen staff unfriendly. - Breakfast was much the same experience with many items running out and not being refilled.
- Restaurant manager RAJ was however very attentive and helpful.
- Mansion house al a carte was better but no atmosphere. Food and staff better than executive area. There was no record of restaurant booking which was made prior to arrival.
- The hotel public areas were cold and extremely noisy.

Not a relaxing and enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks very much for your review. I am really disappointed to hear that you have not had a great stay with us but do however appreciate you highlighting the areas you felt we can improve on. There are some real positives in your comments but I am sorry it appears that we were not able to put things right for you during your actual stay which is always what we would hope to do if there is ever anything that will make our guest’s stays more enjoyable. Just a couple of points to mention that our lift is well on the way to being repaired and the challenge with the bar was an absolute one-off for an hour; however I am very sorry for the disruption caused to you. Your review will be assessed during our weekly Managers meeting and actions will be taken as such to further facilitate our continuous improvement. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We booked the "wine down" package.......executive room, bottle of wine and diner. We arrived to find our room far from executive, the double bed comprised of a single base with bit added on with a double mattress on top. We moved rooms as the bed was just dreadful! New room was much better, however the food in the buffet restaurant in the evening was just bland and pretty tasteless. Breakfast was even worse, hash browns like cardboard, bacon cremated, luke warm coffee and just poor food overall. The Hotel was ok but the package was just not good value for money!! Save our money and book a room only and find a local pub!

Room Tip: Don't take the bed, dinner and breakfast package
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mark T

Thank you very much for your review. I am really sorry that this extremely popular and great value package hasn’t worked for you. We have taken your comments on board and will review what we could have done better and take action! We generally have a buffet style theatre kitchen offering and an A la Carte menu available which may have been more in line with your expectations for dinner. I do hope you get chance to give us another go and thank you again for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

After the disappointment of our previous stay at Wokefield Park and the need to make a complaint i have to give credit where credit is due and say that James Gardiner the operations Manager replied the next day, he understood our concerns and addressed each problem individually and fully explained how he will be tackling these issues. Without going into too much personal details he was extremely kind in offering some recompense and to deal with our booking himself when we are able to return. You often here of people making valid complaints in all aspects of business and either have to wait ages for a reply or don't get a reply at all, or as is often the individual is made to feel they are making a fuss about nothing so when you get a instant, professional, and understanding reply i feel that in itself is a great reflection on a good Manager who as is often the case relied on others to assist in the running of the business and he can't be there every minute of every day. Many of the Staff there were superb and the problems we encountered were mainly environmental or diet related. Thankyou Mr Gardiner for your understanding and very prompt response. Regards, Stephen Packer.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your kind words and for your amendment on TripAdvisor; it is very much appreciated. We genuinely hope to see you again soon and look forward to the opportunity to get everything just perfect for you.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Hotel was very good with the exception of the bar service. I ordered steak at £16.95 which is expensive for a bar menu and when it arrived it looked like it had not made the pan! The staff took it away to cook but left me the little basket of triple cooked chips but when the food arrived 20 minutes later, it was minus the chips. They must have thought I wanted chips as a starter? They had no salt & pepper for me when asked and failed to bring my desert of cheese & crackers which they were giving me for the issue with the main course.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you very much for your review. I am very sorry that there was an issue with our bar food during an otherwise good stay. This really doesn’t sound like our normal high standards of service in a bar that serves on average a hundred happy customers every day. Hands up that it appears we made a mistake here but I will ensure this is investigated and rectified. Thanks again for your review and I hope this doesn’t discourage you from using us again when I am sure we will get everything spot-on for you.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We decided to stay at Wokefield park for my neice's 16th Birthday. It was good value for money and the hotel also offered Teen Spa packages which the two girls really enjoyed.
Every request that was made to the hotel was fulfilled and there were absolutely no issue with anything from balloons to cupcakes in her room. This was good as I have found in the past that more expensive hotels do slip up on requests which takes the 'special' out.

Check in was smooth, all staff were very welcoming. The lobby has free hot drink and water machines avaliable for guests to use. This I thought was really good, not many hotels I have been in which are not all inclusive provide such a service.

Room
Slight issue with my room, it was freezing upon arrival therefore I made a call to reception who soon sent up maintenance. The man fixed the problem and the heating was up and running within 10 minutes.
Bathroom was clean, however it became very steamy and hot during showers as there was no extractor.
Room could possibly do with a fridge.
Beds were comfortable. The lighting in the room however could have been brighter, quite dim.

Swimming Pool facilities-
Tiny lockers, not big enough for possesions, therefore you have to leave your things in the changing room where anybody could have a little thieving session.
Sauna was ok
Jacuzzi could have been warmer
Swimming pool was actually too cold.
It was discovered that the hotel provide fitness retreats and a group began using the swimming pool for aqua aerobics, therefore there wasn't much room for hotel guests.

Bar-
Drinks were fine, however the food although it was good, it took ages to arrive. Not really good enough having to wait nearly an hour for a sandwich.

Restaurant-
Good enough, although it did seem that there was never enough food avaliable. Most dishes ran out at dinner and at breakfast there were several empty gaps between fresh items.
Not enough staff.

Although I have pointed out many points for improvement for this review, I must say that I was actually impressed by this hotel. The little things I thought made such a difference, such as providing the things we had requested on time. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GeorgieSmith

Thank you very much for your comprehensive review. We value all feedback and yours will certainly be used to help us improve our product and service. At the venue we recognise that the little touches can make a real difference and this is certainly a part of our culture. As for the things you feel we can improve on we will certainly act on them but I am delighted that it was a positive experience overall. Thanks again and hope to see you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratfield Mortimer
Tylney Hall
#1 of 1 in Rotherwick
The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant
Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11

Been to De Vere Wokefield Estate? Share your experiences!