“Amendment to our previous review.”

De Vere Wokefield Estate
Bridgwater
“Amendment to our previous review.”
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

After the disappointment of our previous stay at Wokefield Park and the need to make a complaint i have to give credit where credit is due and say that James Gardiner the operations Manager replied the next day, he understood our concerns and addressed each problem individually and fully explained how he will be tackling these issues. Without going into too much personal details he was extremely kind in offering some recompense and to deal with our booking himself when we are able to return. You often here of people making valid complaints in all aspects of business and either have to wait ages for a reply or don't get a reply at all, or as is often the individual is made to feel they are making a fuss about nothing so when you get a instant, professional, and understanding reply i feel that in itself is a great reflection on a good Manager who as is often the case relied on others to assist in the running of the business and he can't be there every minute of every day. Many of the Staff there were superb and the problems we encountered were mainly environmental or diet related. Thankyou Mr Gardiner for your understanding and very prompt response. Regards, Stephen Packer.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words and for your amendment on TripAdvisor; it is very much appreciated. We genuinely hope to see you again soon and look forward to the opportunity to get everything just perfect for you.
James Gardiner – Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
Reading
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Hotel was very good with the exception of the bar service. I ordered steak at £16.95 which is expensive for a bar menu and when it arrived it looked like it had not made the pan! The staff took it away to cook but left me the little basket of triple cooked chips but when the food arrived 20 minutes later, it was minus the chips. They must have thought I wanted chips as a starter? They had no salt & pepper for me when asked and failed to bring my desert of cheese & crackers which they were giving me for the issue with the main course.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you very much for your review. I am very sorry that there was an issue with our bar food during an otherwise good stay. This really doesn’t sound like our normal high standards of service in a bar that serves on average a hundred happy customers every day. Hands up that it appears we made a mistake here but I will ensure this is investigated and rectified. Thanks again for your review and I hope this doesn’t discourage you from using us again when I am sure we will get everything spot-on for you.
London
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We decided to stay at Wokefield park for my neice's 16th Birthday. It was good value for money and the hotel also offered Teen Spa packages which the two girls really enjoyed.
Every request that was made to the hotel was fulfilled and there were absolutely no issue with anything from balloons to cupcakes in her room. This was good as I have found in the past that more expensive hotels do slip up on requests which takes the 'special' out.

Check in was smooth, all staff were very welcoming. The lobby has free hot drink and water machines avaliable for guests to use. This I thought was really good, not many hotels I have been in which are not all inclusive provide such a service.

Room
Slight issue with my room, it was freezing upon arrival therefore I made a call to reception who soon sent up maintenance. The man fixed the problem and the heating was up and running within 10 minutes.
Bathroom was clean, however it became very steamy and hot during showers as there was no extractor.
Room could possibly do with a fridge.
Beds were comfortable. The lighting in the room however could have been brighter, quite dim.

Swimming Pool facilities-
Tiny lockers, not big enough for possesions, therefore you have to leave your things in the changing room where anybody could have a little thieving session.
Sauna was ok
Jacuzzi could have been warmer
Swimming pool was actually too cold.
It was discovered that the hotel provide fitness retreats and a group began using the swimming pool for aqua aerobics, therefore there wasn't much room for hotel guests.

Bar-
Drinks were fine, however the food although it was good, it took ages to arrive. Not really good enough having to wait nearly an hour for a sandwich.

Restaurant-
Good enough, although it did seem that there was never enough food avaliable. Most dishes ran out at dinner and at breakfast there were several empty gaps between fresh items.
Not enough staff.

Although I have pointed out many points for improvement for this review, I must say that I was actually impressed by this hotel. The little things I thought made such a difference, such as providing the things we had requested on time. You get what you pay for.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GeorgieSmith
Thank you very much for your comprehensive review. We value all feedback and yours will certainly be used to help us improve our product and service. At the venue we recognise that the little touches can make a real difference and this is certainly a part of our culture. As for the things you feel we can improve on we will certainly act on them but I am delighted that it was a positive experience overall. Thanks again and hope to see you soon.
pewsey wiltshire
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My partner and I stayed here in March 2013 for a weekend break.
The hotel was easily found with the directions on the devere booking confirmation. When you turn into the hotel it all looks very grand and well kept. Reception was a little difficult to find but no big deal really. Maybe just better signage.
Reception staff were very polite and a credit to the Devere group. Nothing was too much trouble. We asked to see a suite before we decided on whether to upgrade and they had no problem with us checking out the room before we commited to it.
The suite was amazing with a hugh comfy bed seperate lounge with a 2nd TV .Luxurious bathroom with a massive bath and power shower.There was also a seperate loo and a dtressing area. The views from the room were very nice too overlooking the golf course. We ordered room service on the Friday night. It was delivered speedily and was very well presented and hot. The price was not completely over the top like some hotels when room service is involved. We both had a main meal and it came to about 20 pound.
Breakfast was very good indeed with a good choice of hot and cold buffet. The waitresses were very friendly and efficient.
There are tea and coffe stations throughout the hotel where you can help yourself to complimentary drink and fruit and biscuits which we thought was a very nice touch.
We did not eat in either of the 2 restaurants as we ate out on the Saturday but the menu did look very nice and the prices were not extortionate.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone in need of a break away. It was very good value for money and we will definately be returning in the future.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the suite if you can afford it they are lovely and so spacious.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nettetye
Thank you very much for your fabulous review! I am delighted that you had such a great time and enjoyed our venue. We look forward to seeing you again soon for another great time and hope you get the chance to dine in one of our great restaurants next time. Thanks again.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We had a 1 night stay value great paid £29 room only. Disappointed with the hotel overall, had a drink in the sports bar, took 20 minutes to clear the tables. Bedroom looks tired needs a revamp. The bed very comfortable room good size. All the fire doors open when arrived went out at 19.15 some still open. Would not hurry back

Room Tip: We stayed in 145 was a bit of a walk from reception but quiet till the golfers arrived in the mornin...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review. I am pleased there are some real positives around our outstanding value, room size and comfy beds. You have highlighted some areas we need to look at and that is what we certainly will do to act on your feedback as this is important to us. Please do give us another try on one of our great deals and I am sure you won’t be disappointed.
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I booked this nights stay as a surprise for my wife who has had a really tough time having had four big operations in eight months. I also booked another room for my wifes Sister as she too has had a tough time with a marriage break up. I travel up and down the Country staying in all manner of hotels on business and many are superb and some not so good but this I have to confess is the worst. The signage on arrival was limited and very confusing. When we eventually found the right entrance in the conference centre we were met by a very pleasant receptionist who when checking our booking told us we had rooms very far away from each other, to be fair, and I feel its always right when doing a review to mention the good points too, so after a chat she kindly gave us rooms next to each other, 202 and 204. On entering the room it became apparent that they need money investing in them to bring them into the 21st century. One good thing was an extra portable heater was available and plenty of power points. The furniture in both rooms was very scratched, our toilet was rather dirty and our guests room had a dirty sink, she was in 204 and had no instruction to tell her how to work the tv, she then had to get up and use buttons on side of tv to change channels, I did ask for this to be fixed and it was done quickly but it was still a bit difficult as the tv had dropped down a bit so the sensor wasnt in contact with the remote. We were tired so opted for room service and invited my sister in law to eat in our room with us rather than eat alone. I made them aware on ordering. The room service menu was the worst for choice we had ever seen and only one dessert available, which considering my wife is diabetic and undergone stomach was poor so I did request cheese and biscuits, he said he wasnt supposed to but would put someon free of charge. The waitress who brought the tray was pleasant. After she left we realise we only had two sets of cutlery and my meal was missing the coleslaw and onion rings. We didnt make a fuss about this as the food would have been cold, my wife s fish had many bones in and it wasnt easy to eat my burger and chips with a teaspoon. After our guest went to her room for the night we settled to watch tv we were drowned out by children screaming and screeching in the Nintendo play area next to our rooms. They then started running up and down the corridor. It went on and on and my wife was in tears as she needs rest and this was supposed to be a special treat away to help her recovery and to cheer her sister up. I went to reception to complain rather than confront the parents and children and was told something would be done, well it wasnt and it was not quiet until almost 10pm, we heard at least two other guests asking them to quieten down. The Nintendo play area is a great idea but is far to close to rooms. The lamp by my wifes bed wasnt balanced right and kept moving at the slightest touch and none of us slept very well due to the uncomfy beds. As we headed down for breakfast we noticed lots of very useful free tea/coffee making facilities which was good but the area was clinical, not welcoming and we did have to do a double take as a BMW car was inside. Having purchased one before we were used to their showrooms and sales techniques but this was quite inappropriate where it was and maybe should have its own separate facility away from the hotel/conference room. We stood for 5 minutes waiting to be shown a table when a flustered waiter just ran over and gestured for us to sit anywhere, we werent asked for our name or room numbers. After another five mins we were offered tea or coffee but no one told us where anything was so we had to move around people as we tried to find everything. The choice of food was good. We went to collect our hot food and they had run out of fried eggs so myself and my sister in law waited for them to bring some more out, we waited some more but opted to go without as our other food was going cold. After we sat back at the table we realised others were still waiting for eggs and overall the wait was almost fifteen minutes before more were brought out. The staff looked totally flustered and overstretched and us being in business sensed a lack of leadership. That too was evident the previous evening when Staff were reluctant to tackle the noise issue. We are not anti children at all, we have nine grandchildren so are used to children but it would be a good idea when allocating rooms to place non child guests away from all the family groups, not because I dont feel the families should enjoy themselves but because if guests come without young children then its pretty obvious they would like a peaceful, restful break. When leaving breakfast we had to try and get through a large line of people again waiting at the entrance to be shown a table, no staff were in sight and sone guests werent at all happy. People were queuing dangerously down the length of the stairs. We counted 17 .I will be making a complaint as while the room was maybe a good rate ive had similar deals before with other hotels and the standard was much higher. This hotel definately needs money invested in it for refurbishment and some of the layout needs a thorough rethink and more clear signs need to be placed inside and out. The Staff, many of whom are from different cultures need extra training in people skills and interaction and the supervisors and managers need to use their leadership skills to make sure each individual staff member knows their job role. It saddens me to say it but I think this hotel will begin losing money if it doesnt implement some changes and quickly and lose potential guests to nearby hotels. I doubt after this experience the three of us will return and instead if us arriving home with a sense of wellbeing we are upset and deflated and I feel bad and keep apologising to my wife and her sister as I organised it and wont be able to afford to do it again , at leadt not until my wife returns to work. Sorry this is a long, indepth review but its important to be honest and fair. S. Packer.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Dillon2706
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you again for your feedback. I am aware we have communicated ‘off-line’ regarding your stay and pleased that you are fully satisfied with our resolution. We are looking forward to seeing you again in the future for a far more positive experience.

Travelers are raving about these Stratfield Mortimer hotels

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed here for one night last night and although a bit disapointed that we were not in the mansion house the executive suite had me pleasantly suprised! Clean spacious and modern. The room was nice size, clean and bed was really comfy. Best nights sleep i have had in a hotel. The only bad things about the room is the lighting...could do with a bit more when doing your make up and the bathroom lock was broken. Both minor silly things. It was quiet even though there were alot of families in the hotel. The wii and dsi room is excellent for kids. We didnt use the pool etc...didnt look anything special to be honest. Got it on there spring deal for £29 a night and at that price i would recommend it to everyone. Will be staying again!

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you very much for your lovely review. We’ll have a look into the lighting point you have mentioned and sorry about the bathroom lock, now all sorted! Why not give our fantastic pool a go next time; I’m sure you’ll enjoy! Thanks again and look forward to seeing you for another great stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratfield Mortimer
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
The Vineyard Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Stockcross
Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11

Been to De Vere Wokefield Estate? Share your experiences!