“Lovely surroundings, quiet night's sleep, but it's a looking tired” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of De Vere Wokefield Estate

De Vere Wokefield Estate
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely surroundings, quiet night's sleep, but it's a looking tired”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

I was only here for one night, and it was pretty easy to find, well sign-posted once you get off the M4.

The drive up to the hotel was a long private road with LOTS of speed humps!

However there were plenty of parking spaces, but it was a very busy place. as I was pulling up I was expecting it to look a little like the photo of the stately home, but it wasn't. It is a purpose built conference centre that has a plethora of facilities and bedrooms.

As it is a conference centre I can imagine that it is used an awful lot and the rooms are looking like they have seen some better days.

Anyway check-in was OK, please note that they take credit cards for extras if you would like (I always use a debit card so I wouldn't recommend handing that over as it takes ages to get the money back onto the card).

My room was on the ground floor, right along one of the very long corridors. The room was a good size, and it was clean enough, but it was just bored - it looked so tired and a bit dated. There wasn't even a picture on the walls!
Plenty of pillows, and towels, which is always a good thing, and free wifi - which is always a bonus. I had a lovely quiet night's sleep. The bed was comfy but the room could do with an up to date clock. Not the cream plastic 1970's model that was unplugged beside the bed!

I didn't do breakfast but there was a restaurant and coffee stations in the main 'street'.
I think I would stay here again for the price that I paid it was a bit of a bargain - so as long as the price was right it would be fine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. There are lot’s of positives in your comments but also some elements for us to look into and resolve. We do have a small minority of rooms that are on our schedule for further refurbishment but this does not excuse them not being perfect for our guests in the meantime. I have addressed the points on this topic with the teams concerned for immediate action and would like to forward my apologies. I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay and have had the opportunity of making the most of just one of our many, great deals. We hope to see you again soon and am sure we can WOW you further!
James Gardiner – Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Really impressed with the complex would stay in the Mansion House out of preference. Food of good quality as a banqueting centre and full English/ continental rage excellent. Staff friendly and personable. Grounds beautiful if a bit farmers field but golfers appear to be well catered for. Not aware of costs as did not pay for course attended but generally speaking full range of big venue gathering rooms and breakout rooms with full ICT capability.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your glowing review! You have encapsulated just a few of the elements of our venue that makes Wokefield Park a great destination for business or leisure. Off the back of your last experience with us, we hope to see you again for another great stay soon!
Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I'd booked a 2 craft course about a mile away from this hotel & was just looking for 1 room for a saturday night. I'd already spent quite a bit so had resigned myself to the travelodge on the m4 which was coming up at £30.
Had a quick look on booking.com and found this hotel for £29! I'd read the reviews on here & expected that price would probably be for some cheaper room round the back of the mansion house. It was very close to the location of my course so booked it.

I arrived in the dark & the directions along the long drive are very easy to miss & i initially parked in the wrong place in front of the house and went in what i thought was the main door of the mansion. It turned out reception was far right of the house & there was a visitors car park there so i had a little walk!

Receptionist was lovely & booked me in without problem, also booked me in for breakfast (cant remember exact cost but think it was about £7). I was given a room on the 2nd floor. Took the lift up & had a 5 minute walk around the corridors, only bumped in to 2 other people on route. During a few walks around the hotel i did notice that not every space was nicely kept. A few corridor carpets were quite bad in places but nothing major & it certainly didn't affect my stay.

The room was small but more than adequate. Small double bed, shower in bathroom, telly etc. All very clean & nicely presented. Plenty of tea & coffee for 1. I went down to one of the bars for a drink & sandwich that evening. Prices were what was expected of hotels really, more than you'd pay in a pub but not too expensive. Food was nice & service was good. There were about 12 people in the bar but i think the other one was quite busy.

Slept very well, bed comfy & clean, heard a few people wandering by (bed was against the corridor wall) but no one too noisy.

Breakfast was nice, set in a large room i was told i could just choose where to sit but was advised that it does get a bit cold nearer the windows/doors. Waitresses walking round with tea & coffee (topping up whenever you need it) and breakfast was in a room just off the main one. Plenty of selection, i love hotel breakfasts & this one was very good. All hot food was really nice, waitresses checking you're okay or if you need anything without being intrusive.

Checkout v simple & i was asked if i enjoyed my stay.

I'm really impressed with this at the price. So glad i wasn't in a travelodge on the M4!! Apparently they drastically drop their prices at the weekend to fill it as it's more of a business hotel. I think i may have paid nearly double this in the week. I'm going to return & do more courses so i'm definitely going to check out this hotel first.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely feedback. You have mentioned a couple of points that you think we could improve on which is most appreciated as we do want to continually improve! I am delighted you enjoyed your stay a with us and look forward to seeing you for another great time in the future.
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

For what was meant to be a top notch conference centre it was a real disappointment. Rooms where cold as hell, water in shower dribbled out and temperature was up and down. My room was clean but a number of others on the conference were complaining of their rooms being shabby

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your review. I am very sorry that your stay with us was disappointing. Definitely some things for us to look at and please rest assured we will. I would hope you would give us a second chance as what you have described is far from what we are striving for and very different to the great feedback we usually receive from the conference and events side of our business.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

I was working at this hotel and conference centre and had a really great experience. The food was good quality and polite staff. My room was fine however reception not good but you cannot blame the hotel for hat really . All in all very good.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I am very pleased you had an overall great experience with us but am sorry this did not include what I assume was mobile phone reception? We have a number of booster systems in our venue to improve mobile reception with key providers and also some ‘hot-spots’ for those not already enhanced. If you are with us again please just contact a member of the team and they will be able to advise. We look forward to seeing you again for another great stay in the future!
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with colleagues, and basically it was just OK. Check in and out took ages, room was OK although the bathroom was really faded and tatty, gym was tiny, as was the pool. We ate in the bar, as football was on, and the food was good for the money. Overall, it was OK.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your review. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was not perfect. We are extremely passionate about what we do and OK is not enough for us! Please rest assured we have taken on board your valuable comments to take action to turn the OK to fantastic! I am however glad you enjoyed our vibrant sports bar and great value and delicious food. Please give us another go in the future and I am sure we can make your stay really special.
Fleet, Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed in a family room in the Wellington Lodge on a very good value weekend DBB package. The room was very well set out and comfortable. The shower was very smart but not very effective. Our room was on the top floor of the building and had velux windows. The blinds could not be drawn down as there were no catches, so we had to open the velux windows slightly to hold the blinds done - not ideal when it was a freezing night and snow was falling when we woke! Wellington Lodge is obviously newly built with apparently 40 rooms. There is no reception desk in the Lodge and there are only 10 parking spaces at the Lodge, 2 of which are disabled bays. So the vast majority of visitors have to park on the grass verges or at the main parking areas well away from the Lodge - not very well thought through! We enjoyed the pool and the main restaurant. The food was very good and service and staff friendly and efficient. Breakfast in the Manor House was excellent though it was difficult to find the dining room. The food & beverage staff were excellent throughout.
One disappointment was that on our leaving we were told that there is a charge to use a credit card - at least we were told, so we could use cash / debit card - but this type of extra charge is not right in my view.
One very important improvement needed is the signage at the property as a whole. There are no signs for reception areas, Wellington Lodge etc and, given the size of the site, proper, clear signs could really help the visitor's experience.
Otherwise, a pleasant stay in the circumstances.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank zimbotog
Thank you very much for your review. It is the small things that make a difference and your feedback is very much appreciated in assisting us get it right even to the tiniest detail. I am sorry about the challenge you had with your window. This point has been investigated and rectified immediately. We have hundreds of car parking spaces on site and are always happy to provide a helping hand with any luggage if you part a little further away from your accommodation. I’m delighted you enjoyed our delicious food and friendly staff; such a key part of any stay. We do have a nominal credit card fee as many businesses do but as you correctly say this is avoided by use of cash or debit card. As for our signage, we are very much on this point and are looking forward to making further improvement to what we have already over the coming months. Thank you for raising this as your direct experience. Thank you again for your review and hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratfield Mortimer
Premier Inn Reading South Hotel
The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant
Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading
BEST WESTERN Reading Calcot Hotel

Been to De Vere Wokefield Estate? Share your experiences!