“Not made the best of a great setting”

De Vere Wokefield Estate
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights on business. You have an impressive drive up to the Hotel - but then I did get confused as to where to go/park. Just a few signs (or info on the Booking) would help and would have saved me driving around.

The hotel was pretty standard - and had been subject to what now seems to be the De Vere way of doing things. I used to think that De Vere was all about quality - but having stayed at a couple of other De Vere's this week I can see that they are all about consistency/process and keeping costs as low as possible! That means that they make sure things meet a minimum standard - but don't expect the quality that I used to think was their trademark

Rooms were OK - could do with modernising, so judge them as you need them. Somewhere that was fine for working away on business.

I ate in the bar a couple of times - and this was where you saw the new De Vere.....a really boring/standard menu that any teenager could cook for you. Two things really let them down. Firstly, there were the bar prices. I'd normally have a decent size glass of wine - but for £7 I didn't bother. Instead I had a beer for >£4.....not impressed (but same menu/prices at all De Veres from what I've seen). Secondly, on the first night I ordered soup and then the fish and chips. My look of surprise when they both arrived together didn't seem to register with the waitress......she had to rush back upstairs to get me a soup spoon.....so I was sat there with them both going cold. Oh well, learnt my lesson on the second night and didn't bother with a starter....

Overall - seemed a good place, could be so much better with a bit of investment. I think De Vere have killed a lot of what could be plus points to keep costs to an absolute minimum

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am very sorry to hear that you didn’t have the best initial experience with us; we are reviewing our signage and the timing cover from our dedicated Gate Man. Thank you for your comments regarding our standards. Quality is extremely important to us and particularly, as a venue, we have rooms to suit all tastes from cosy bedrooms for relaxing and working in to beautiful Suites with a highly luxurious specification. With regards your bar experience we do research our local competitor set and ensure our prices are competitive for our business and local area. I am very sorry that there was an issue with the delivery of your food and can reassure you this has been raised as a training point with the team concerned. Thank you again for your comments. If you book with us again please let us know exactly what you are looking for and I am sure we can deliver the De Vere quality you know and enjoy.

There are newer reviews for De Vere Wokefield Estate

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Just concluded our church conference and I must admit this hotel does have the numbers and they do it very well despite the massive numbers they recieve I think chef kenny was outstanding even though in my own opinion they need more staff especially on the service area
Will definetly come back !!!

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you for your review! I am delighted that it is on the whole extremely positive and you enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure Chef Kenny is aware of your lovely feedback. Thank you for your comments on staffing which is certainly an area I will have a look at with the Senior Team. We very much look forward to seeing you again soon!!

Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is primarily the BMW UK training centre! There is a huge garage and training centre incorporated in the sight and leisure visitors are treated as second class citizens merely there to fill up rooms that their primary customer doesn't want. The two nights we were there the main restaurant was booked for 'private' functions and we were forced to walk through the rain to the adjacent training block and eat from a hot buffet surrounded by 'trainees' in jeans getting loud and drunk and mostly trying to attract colleagues of the opposite sex to join in their bawdy drinking games! AWFUL!!! AVOID at all costs.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that we have not met your expectations during your stay with us. We are indeed an incredibly diverse site with an awful lot to offer. The garage and training centre you refer to is the BMW Academy, a bespoke, branded venue in it’s own right which sits along side our beautiful Mansion House and the contemporary Executive Centre. I can only apologise if you didn’t feel our customer love during your stay but I can ensure you that every one of our customers is incredibly important to us whether here to learn, meet or enjoy a leisurely break or function. We are very lucky as a venue to be able to offer two completely different restaurant experiences most of the time. Sometimes our Mansion House restaurant is closed due to a function but there are always many alternatives available from private dining, our lively, fresh and colourful live-cook restaurant ‘Steam, Bake & Grill’, room service and a superb bar lounge menu. I am very sorry that it appears a few individuals spoilt one of your dining experiences and we will ensure we deal with this in a more appropriate way in future. I would urge you to give us another chance and am sure we can deliver what you are looking for in a hotel stay. Just let us know your exact requirements and I am sure we can deliver. Thank you again for the review.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I went to Wokefield Park for a conference with work. Getting into the place was the biggest joke, we were met by a huge queue of traffic trying to get in, and were stuck for 20 minutes. As we got closer we realised the problem was that the hotel had staff on directing the cars to where they should park. However these staff were stopping EVERY SINGLE car to chat to them, when all they needed to do was put a few signs around the place so people knew where to go. The whole day was delayed because of this.

I couldn't understand if it was the conference or the person who organised its fault but they could NOT fit us all in, perhaps the organiser had counted wrong or perhaps the hotel overestimated its capacity. I was disappointed to have the morning presentations in a room tightly packed with lined up chairs, rather than at a table with access to water and glasses, and a pen and paper should I want to make notes. Lunch again we were met by a huge queue, having to wait 15 minutes to get food.

The room was pleasant but a big problem was how terribly dark it was! There was no ceiling light and the small table lamps didnt help much to light up the room. It made it very difficult to see what was in my bag, and also do hair and makeup. The bathroom was just as dark. After battling the get the ironing board up I found out the iron did not work - quite frustrating as I didnt have much time to get ready so had to leave with a creased shirt.

Finally the evening was also a disappointment. We had to walk outside to the mansion house, which wasnt ideal in evening dresses and the freezing cold. We were packed into a tiny bar where by the time everyone had arrived literally no one could move. I couldnt help but think if there was a fire then we would definitely be in trouble! The food was due to be served at 8pm but the starter didnt come till 8.30pm, then we had to wait 45 minutes for dinner at 9.15pm, then another 45 minutes for dessert. The staff were not even apologetic when the food arrived, and at no point did I see anyone walking around asking if anyone wanted any more wine. Everyone got extremely bored waiting so ended up just walking around. The food however was very tasty, shame it didnt come fast enough!

Overall if I was to organise a conference I would not choose this venue. It is short staffed and so very slow, which is not exactly what you need when you have a packed day ahead of you.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your review. I am so sorry that you didn’t have the best start to your stay with us. We experienced highly unusual levels of traffic which were not dissipated by the normal dilution of public transport and car sharing that we would normally see. We have specially employed gate person to welcome our guests and start their stay off in a great way with very clear direction through personal interaction. On the day he was supported by many other colleagues working in the car parks to guide our guests to the best places to park. Following your recent visit and feedback we have reviewed our strategy to facilitate a smoother start to our guest stays when traffic is exceptionally busy. I am very sorry with the challenges with your room. We are in the process of rolling our fantastic LED lighting into our rooms which is giving more light to suit some of our guest’s preferences. With regards your evening meal I can assure you that we only operate within the safest guidelines possible with trained staff should an evacuation be necessary. I am delighted that you enjoyed the food and apologise for the delay. As part of just what we do, we work very closely with our event organisers to ensure we deliver a joined together approach to an event and from this receive regular, outstanding feedback. If you are organising a conference in the future, just let us know and I am sure we can reassure you of our exceptional service delivery, made bespoke to your requirements with 100% support at every step.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Booked a dinner with wine, bed and breakfast deal for £89, which was good value.

We had a very spacious and comfortable room in the Wellington block, just a short walk from the main building -(the block is a little odd as it has lots of rooms, and only a dozen or so parking spaces though). We had a roomy bathroom with a wet room style powerful shower, and a large screen tv. Beds are huge and very comfy.

The meal in the restaurant was nice, but service seemed slow, considering only 8 or so tables were in use. There were only 3 choices for each course though, so may limit those who are more selective with their food. The hotel booking system had not recognised the wine inclusive deal - but the young lady in charge soon sorted it out once I showed her my booking confirmation,

Breakfast selection was very comprehensive and we had a good walk in the winter sunshine after to help digest it all!

It does have a 'corporate' feel, especially with the BMW training block next to the main reception, but it's worth a visit with the deals that de Vere do (we've used them several times over the last year)

2  Thank jacames2016

Thank you for your review and for noting some of the real positives of our fantastic venue. I am sorry to hear that the service was slow for you at dinner; a point which has been addressed within the food services team. I felt it worth pointing out that we also run a full menu in our Steam, Bake & Grill live cook restaurant and also a very comprehensive Bar Lounge menu you can eat pretty much anywhere! We hope you check in with us again soon on another of our great deals for another great time!

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I was in Zambia when I booked 4 nights in this Hotel... I read the revues and I will say that after reading the revues I decided I would NOT book any meals in the establishment...

Well, on check in the staff were very friendly and helpful... my one criticism is that the receptionists do not introduce themselves so we were unable to thank them personally.

Our room was 142 it did have everything that we needed, although quite dated but it was comfortable... the ironing board was broken which we reported and nothing was done and it was not replaced...

The leisure facilities were fantastic... unfortunately the guests themselves don't respect the notices and don't use the shower after the sauna or the jacuzzi and seem to leave wet towels lying around where there are instructions to leave used towels in the laundry bin provided...if this was adhered to.... the place would be not the Venues fault... they simply try their very best in my opinion.

After our second night we decided to book another night to make it 5 nights... I went to reception and the receptionist "Natalie ----" never got up from her seated position to greet me and proceeded to address me from her chair and could not help me with a deal for the 5th night, and told me to book the night on the internet .... Her attitude was much to my disappointment and not at all helpful ...why she is in the reception goodness knows.... maybe valuable to the establishment but in my view she was quite offensive and rude...I proceeded to my room and called the management and a very competent manager Mr Pankash phoned me and apologised for the reception and explained that the bookings were all done by a central reservation office and there were no deals to be made on the site...which I simply accepted, he offered our extended one more day stay for £39.00 and also dinner and a breakfast for 2...

I will say that the dinner we had on the Sunday evening was absolutely fantastic ... the staff were very friendly, the chef from Barbados was very accommodating and the dining area was very clean and organised.

The following morning we had the breakfast which was truly 5 star and once again the staff were friendly, helpful and overall a wonderful experience....

We did take a walk into Mortimer to the pub "Horse & Groom" for Saturday lunch...it was a pleasant walk and good food.

Overall I found that the management, cleaning and catering staff were well mannered and made our stay a pleasant one. Sorry about the receptionist, The management do need to polish the reception that is given to their guests whether it be for leisure, conferences or just visiting for the day.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that on the whole you found our team to be friendly and our facilities of a great standard. I am really sorry for the issue with the ironing board which has been immediately addressed and also for the challenge you had with one of the team and extending your booking. Needless to say this point is specifically being address with the relevant team member as not at all in line with our normal, welcoming and helpful standards. I am very pleased that we resolved your booking challenge and you enjoyed more time in our wonderful venue and the surrounding area. Thank you again for your comments and hope to see you again for a completely perfect stay in the future.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Saw an offer for £19 for double room and decided to take a look, even though its only up the road. Nice night away from home with the Mrs!!
quite hard to find as not well signposted though if you know where it is then all is good. lovely grounds, quite a glitzy "shopping mall" type entrance area... friendly helpful staff.
bar a bit pricey but no more then you would expect.
The room was great, double doors leading onto green and overlooking driving range.
For the price it was amazing, clean, comfortable and what you would expect from a big chain.
usual price over £100.. not sure if its worth that , borderline, but for the bargain price. its bang on.

Room Tip: ask to upgrade at weekend as its more of a business hotel so full during week but quite empty during...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your extremely positive review! I’m very pleased you were able to take advantage of one of our great deals and enjoyed our venue. Hope to see you again for more of the same in the future. Do keep an eye on our website for more upcoming great offers.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stratfield Mortimer
Tylney Hall
#1 of 1 in Rotherwick
Travelodge Reading M4 Westbound
The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant

Been to De Vere Wokefield Estate? Share your experiences!