“Good value hotel if on offer!”

De Vere Wokefield Estate
Southampton
“Good value hotel if on offer!”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I booked this hotel for a cheap night away with my partner. I usually stay in Travelodges, as we are on a budget, but I got this De Vere hotel for just £20 for the night and then paid an extra £18 for breakfast for us both.
The hotel is in a lovely location in the country, it’s just a pain to get to with very narrow roads for about 5 miles from the A33 near Reading.
We checked in about 3pm at Reception (see picture) and I asked for an upstairs room as I have had noise from above me in hotels before. The room was number 626 and was a fair distance from Reception. The floor in the room was very noisy when we walked so I hope there were no people staying underneath us! The room was quite nice and well equipped with a TV, iron, ironing board, hairdryer and safe and a kettle with tea and coffee supplies. It was mostly clean apart from cobwebs above the bed and little mould on the plug in the bathroom. I did not notice until the morning but we were only given one large bath towel but this may have been because we had requested another room at Reception.
We did not have an evening meal at the hotel as it was a bit pricey for our budget. It was about an 8 mile drive in to Reading to a Beefeater.
When we got back to the hotel we noticed they had coffee/tea machines near the reception where you could help yourself. This saved us making a drink in the room and the cappuccino was so nice I had two! We watched tv for a bit on the 32” LG TV which worked well before going to sleep.
My partner slept fine but I found the bed a little soft and had set the heating too high so did not sleep very well as I was too hot. We had planned to have a swim in the pool In the morning but we were up too late and had to go for breakfast.
The breakfast was ok, although I like my food very hot and with a cold plate and the food left under a hot lamp, it was not hot enough for me. I also rushed the food as we had to be out my 10am, which I felt was a little early.
Final thoughts, not a bad hotel but not as good as I was expecting from the De Vere name. It was certainly worth the £20 and better than most Travelodges we have stayed at. I would not stay there again mainly due to the location as the roads are so bad getting there, but if you don’t mind this, then worth up to £40 a night.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 626 as the floor makes a lot of noise when you walk on it!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your comprehensive review. I’m sorry to hear that you had a challenge getting to us. We do have some lovely rural country roads around us but perhaps try Mereoak Lane from the A33 if you do visit us again as it’s a very decent ‘B’ road without the likelihood of meeting too many tractors! Please see the map and directions on our website. Very glad you enjoyed our facilities and from your feedback I will certainly raise the point regarding your breakfast with the Kitchen Team. If you are with us again we would always be very happy to cook anything we have, just how you like it. Hope to see you again for another great stay.
James Gardiner – Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
Stafford
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night for business. Paid £45 (plus £2.50 charge for using my credit card) and for the money, it was great. The room was spacious and comfortable. It was stylish in decor and had all the amenities I would expect.
The only downside is that there is a bit of walk to the bar from the room I was in and so I would have like to have a mini bar in my room - minor point.
Stayed in the manor house and had lovely views over the front lawns and gardens - looked exactly as it does in the picture.
Didn't have breakfast so cant comment on food.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you very much for your very complimentary review. Just let us know if you’d like to be nearer any aspect of the venue on a future stay and we will always do whatever we can to accommodate your request. Why not join us for breakfast next time? We have a delicious selection and I’m sure you’ll really enjoy it! Thanks again and hope to see you at the venue again soon for another excellent value stay.
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is our 2nd stay at this hotel and both times it has been enjoyable.we had a 3 night break last weekend .good points :comfortable and clean room,excellent shower,free Wi-Fi,tea,coffee biscuits throughout the hotel,good clean swimming pool and jacuzzi.there is a nintendo play area for the kids
Bad points: the beds are very soft, too expensive to eat in so we had to eat in near the majaski stadium but its only a short drive away here you had free parking.if you go to the Oracle shopping complex where all the main restaurants are you will pay a minimum of 1.50 for up to an hour and 3 pounds for 2 hours.it is not free to park there anytime 24 hours a day.
even though it is unlikely you will stay in the hotel shown in the picture the modern block is just as good.

Room Tip: there is nothing wrong with room 210
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your great review. I am sorry that you found it too expensive to eat with us. If you are with us again in the near future please see our new winter bar menu which offers some really great value and tasty dishes, cooked fresh in our grill kitchen. In addition we often run some great ‘specials‘ deals which are worth looking out for. I am glad that you found further interest in the local area as our great location really allows superb access to Reading and everything it has to offer. We hope to see you again soon.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed as a guest in the main building shown in the pictures and it was worth every penny! Our room was enourmous with a huge window overlooking the front grounds. Toiletries in the bathroom smelled lush and were handy, bathroom had a HUGE bath tub and a separate shower box next to it. Tea and coffe in the bedroom and kingsize bed with extremely confortable matress and pillows! Breakfast next day was well needed and was a buffett style offering ocntinental and full english, replensihed well and was cooked fresh with an omlette statio. Would highly recommend, you get what you pay for and if you pay for top price you will get a top room!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building, you own't be dissapointed with the size!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your glowing review! We are delighted you had such a great stay with us. I have ensured that your lovely comments have been shared with the team who will be delighted with them. Wokefield Park is a superb venue with so much to offer and your review really reflects some of the great things we do here. By the looks of things we’ll hopefully be seeing you again for another fantastic stay. Thank you until the next time!
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

Me and my wife and 1 year old son stayed here for 2 nights the weekend after the new year while visiting friends in the area. When booking a hotel I was surprised to find that this hotel was cheaper than the nearest premiere inn. We paid about £55 for two night as part of an offer. I booked a executive contemporary double room expecting too much as I was to find out. Checked in and found that our room was the opposite end of the hotel, which with a 1 year old child that does not walk, getting to the room is not easy. Which also means even more baggage than normally required. You would of hoped that they would of helped by giving a closer room or at least help with getting the bags to the room. I did email them asking if they could supply a travel cot which took 2 emails to get an answer so in reflection would give them plenty of time to change the room location. We paid for 1 mornings breakfast in advance which was poor, my wife been vegetarian we asked for any options and was told there was none, but after asking the chef ourselves we managed to get some sorted . The room was small for and very hot. The overall experience was ok. I stay in a lot of premier inns for work and this was no better than any of them, but it had a pool! Very glad I only paid a small amount for the room or it would have been much worse. As a side note during our stay the lift was broken which would of made it half as bad but still overall was a real let down.

Also not on reflection of the hotel but the restaurant staff are very poor, after a long drive and walking backwards and forwards from the car too our room we headed to the restaurant and asked for a table for the 3 of us, they asked us if we had looked at the menu and if we knew what we wanted to eat. We had just got there and not had chance to look at a menu yet let alone even sit down. After a short discussion we where told that we would be better off in the bar! Never been treated so badly at any restaurant and hope I never will again!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Andykerry_b66
Thank you for your review. I am so sorry your stay has not been perfect and that you really gave us some opportunities to make it so. We always have team members on hand to help and look after you and even if you didn’t ask this should have been intuitive. There are certainly some points I need to address with the team about your experience which I truly can say is far from indicative of our normal standards. We do have great deals that represent great value but the service element of this is still so important to us as it is to you. I do hope and believe that there may have been a communication breakdown with the person you dealt with in our restaurant. We have great food, service and a lovely restaurant that hundreds of our guest enjoy literally every day, but you have my sincere apologies for your experience. I hope you get the chance to stay with us again and did enjoy some of the real positive elements we can offer families staying with us from our fantastic leisure facilities to our fabulous Nintendo Lounge with DS and Wii’s on tap! Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back to stay with us again in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed with three friends on a golf Sunday driver. As is always the case with Devere there are good and (probably more)bad things about every visit.

I liked:
Golf course greens
Free coffee machines throughout offering good cappuccino & latte
Recently decorated, spacious rooms

I didn't like:
Golf course fairways, no defintion at edges are all.
The nice spa area is in another building completely, and is presented as a "you have to pay" option. There's no swimming pool there.
No steam room in pool area, therefore you can't swim & steam.
Room far too hot despite radiator being turned off the moment we arrived
Price of drinks is outrageously high even with our 20% off members card
Quality of food/attitude of serving staff is poor.
Chef/cooking not good enough, we ordered four steaks, all of which were supposed to be differently cooked yet all four arrived the same. The peppercorn sauce tasted more like oxtail soup.
Breakfast, dirty bowls that hadn't been washed properly being left lying around

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank OrgasmicCry
Thank you very much for your recent review. I am delighted there are some real positive points from your feedback but disappointed with the negatives for which you have my sincere apologies. However, some elements we can easily fix (and will) and some for us to look at in future reviews of capital expenditure. The key actions for us to resolve have been forwarded to the relevant departments to do just that with action plans to back this up. Your points regarding food quality and staff attitude are concerning as some of many areas we really do pride ourselves on in terms of quality. I believe your food challenges may have been around the launch of our brand new and delicious Bar Menu and some teething problems that have already been resolved, which again I am very sorry for. Our drinks prices are reviewed within our competitive set and we do believe we offer a carefully balanced bar tariff with the addition of regular promotions to give our customers even further value. On a final note I am not sure which photo you may be referring to in the title of your review, however we have fabulous pictures of our charming Mansion and modern Executive Centre on our website to really get a feel for the fantastic diversity of our venue. Thank you again for your feedback. We look forward to making everything just excellent on your next stay or Sunday Driver with us.
Leeds England
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is the third time I've had a cut price room from DeVere and I there won't be a fourth. The first stay was amazing, the second okay, and the third - at Wokefield Park was downright shocking - until I spoke to reception. I thought the cut price deals were to fill the hotels during quiet periods. I didn't think paying slight more for a mansion room meant I got the dingy room with the broken light down a maze of corridors, past half empty beer glasses from the night before, and up the back stair. If this was a mansion room, I've got the one the gave the maids. So disappointing - but when I spoke to reception the changed it to a beautiful well lit room.
The next morning's breakfast was disappointing. We pre-booked, but the apparently chef had vanished and couldn't be bothered preparing any eggs - or cooking the omelettes. There was a box eggs ready to cook and a frying pan. Maybe it was supposed to be DIY. The danish pastries were dry and the white bread for toast non-existent. (Although there was brown)
To me, a continental breakfast is meat, bread and cheese but none were set out - although I've just checked the DeVere web site and it says they are part of the deal.
The hotel's explanation was that they were quiet and the chef was doing other things. Clearly cut price meant unimportant, but this was supposed to be a treat after a hectic Christmas. I actually wish I'd booked travel lodge or premier inn.

Room Tip: Chosse another hotel or pay top price
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your review and from the start; my sincere apologies for the experience you have had with us. The Mansion is a large period property with character elements you would expect from a property of this age. All of the bedrooms have recently been refurbished but again do vary in size due to the nature of the property and are individually appointed to make the most of this. However there is no excuse for unsightly glassware in the corridors; a point that has been raised and dealt with effectively by the Mansion Team. I am delighted that our friendly Reception Team were able to provide a speedy and satisfactory solution to your concerns as that is what we are here to do; look after you! Breakfast and in fact all catering, is a big focus and core element for us and I am sorry you have not experienced us at our normal level of very high standards. We are looking into what happened with regards your experience as this is not what we are about. It is true we do offer some outstanding deals for our customers to benefit from but this area of our business is just as important to us as any other and I am very disappointed that you have gone away not feeling our customer love in this respect. We would really appreciate another chance as a venue or as a company to win you back as I know we have so much to offer. We will resolve the points you have kindly highlighted for us, we would just appreciate you making the most of our next great deal and to have a fantastic time with us. Thank you again for your feedback.

Travelers are raving about these Stratfield Mortimer hotels

The Oakley Court
#2 of 17 in Windsor
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,197 reviews
The Mill House Hotel and Restaurant

Been to De Vere Wokefield Estate? Share your experiences!