“Mixed”

De Vere Wokefield Estate
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Mixed”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This hotel has several great features but also several that let it down. We were a party of four adults staying just after New Year for a break for a couple of days and the hotel was a good deal with a pool and jacuzzi/sauna which sounded ideal for us having stayed with De Vere before. The spa was actually fully booked for treatments when we were there which was a shame but in reality we should have booked before arrival probably so this wasn't through any fault of the hotel! EARLY TREATMENT BOOKING RECOMMENDED We ate in the restaurant on New Year's Day upon arrival, and the service was extremely slow and the meals weren't as described (e.g. no vegetarian onion gravy for the vegetarian pie) but the staff were aware of the problems and did apologise. The breakfast was better since it was a buffet, but although there was supposed to be an omelette station there wasn't anyone available behind the buffet to ask about this so after waiting a while I settled for the choice readily available which was good. In the reception area are two macs with printing facilities and tea and coffee (including herbal tea) available all day which is appreciated. The gym is small and has limited options - almost all cardiovascular machines and no weights. The pool is also small so hard to swim lengths when busy but okay earlier during the morning, and the sauna and jacuzzi are lovely. The rooms themselves are very average hotel rooms but the lighting is fairly awful! There are no main overhead lights, just bedside lamps, and the lighting in the bathroom is dim so attempting makeup or hair was difficult as was reading. On the other hand the blinds and curtains were very heavy which were great at keeping the room dark when trying to sleep. Location is great and we walked to the nearby village of Mortimer for lunch and would highly recommend the pub there for lunch although it was a fair walk. Overall the staff were attentive and helpful but there are some features which need improving at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Loubylou51
DWPFeedback, Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your review and a great insight into your stay with us. I am delighted that there were a great deal of very positive aspects that you have enjoyed about your stay with us. I am sorry that our fabulous Spa was fully booked and would indeed recommend the advanced booking of treatments to avoid disappointment. You have certainly made some points that I am reviewing with the Head’s of Department and Senior Team here at the venue to aid us in improving and continually developing our product. We really do appreciate the feedback to allow us to do this from our guest’s perspective. We are very much hoping we will see you again for what I am sure will be a perfect stay. Thank you very much again in the meantime.
James Gardiner – Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
Midhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We tend to stay at Wokefield Park a good few times a year for golf or the spa, and sometimes just the odd weekend away, and so I arranged for a few couples to go to the 007 evening and stay overnight.

The event was ok, the roulette tables were a nice touch and the food for the event was really very good. An excellent selection of fresh food and very helpful service, and exactly the same standard was available in the morning for the late check out breakfast/lunch. Small moan from a few people that there was nowhere really to sit during the evening event, but otherwise not bad.

Despite some issues last time we stayed which I expressly pointed out when booking, once again, there were problems with all of the rooms which I am really disappointed about, especially as when I said I was worried about our last stay, I was told that we had been upgraded to rooms that had been rennovated in October. All of the rooms were far too hot, and no amount of adjusting the radiators helped which meant trying to sleep with the windows open. There was lot of noise as a result which meant no sleep. Once again, there was no hot water in one room, and in another, it had not been cleaned very well. We also paid more than the event was advertised for and when I emailed about this, I did not receive a reply.

The corporate area of the hotel is very well looked after, i.e. the street itself and the tea and coffee facilities available are a bonus but it seems that year on year there are fewer people attending the main event at Wokefield park and I wonder what the reason is, and if the masked ball in the Mansion House would have been a better bet. We have stayed quite a lot in the Mansion House in the past, and whilst there have been the odd glitch (followed up and sorted out in a very professional manner), generally had a very pleasureable experience. I took a chance on taking some people to the main building and it did not pay off - I had 5 disappointed people, and having organised events and meetings for a living, was not best pleased.

The hallway corridors do need redecorating, they look dated - but to be honest if you had one of their discount deal stays then it probably wouldn't matter. In terms of arranging weddings, events, meetings etc., I am not so sure any more, and as someone who has always been a huge fan of Wokefield Park, I feel sad to say it.

The golf course was open with a buggy ban despite the weather, but can't comment as the golfers decided not to brave it. The changing rooms in the spa over in the Mansion could be improved by a few inexpensive tweaks - I wonder overall if the management have just stopped caring - absolutely gutted as Wokefield Park has always been a favourite of mine. :( Will not be at the street party in 2013.....

Room Tip: Go for the mansion....
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your review on your latest stay with us. I am really disappointed that it appears we have scored some own goals here and we haven’t continued to deliver a fantastic experience to you as a very valued guest and fan of what we do. For this I am sincerely sorry. For the time of year I am surprised that you found our rooms so hot but am sorry for the discomfort this caused you. We do have some very effective air conditioning units we can provide, available on request and am sorry it appears we didn’t get the opportunity to get these to you. With regards to the query over payment of the event, please do feel free to contact me directly at the venue as I would be more than happy to resolve this issue for you. In terms of the New Years Event we had 350 + strong attendance enjoying our food and entertainment throughout the Executive Centre with a really great atmosphere. Due to the success of our recent NYE event we are expecting even greater numbers this year. Thank you for your points on our corridors. This is certainly an area we have on our agenda to continue our ongoing refurbishment and ensure are as fresh as possible. I am pleased you continue to be such a fan of our beautiful Mansion House and sincerely hope you will join us for our upcoming NYE event over there. As a member of the Management Team at the venue I can assure you that we are passionate about providing a fantastic venue and team. I really hope you give as another opportunity to win you back and am very confident we can if you do. Thank you again for your review.

Travelers are raving about these Stratfield Mortimer hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Booked at hotel for new year eve party,and i must say we had a great time.The room was very nice,clean and modern,nice to look out on to the countryside.The food and party at nite was perfect,we booked this deal the day before new years eve and it was a bargain!! Have just been reading the reviews about the hotel,what aload of old farts some people are,the place was great,better than sitting at home watching the telly!! Will be booking there again this year.

Room Tip: When booking this hotel,make sure you are in the new hotel not the mansion house.We had a room looki...
1 Thank loretta5
Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a complimentary review. You really have encapsulated some of the many elements that make Wokefield Park such a great venue. If not before, we’ll see you later on in the year for what I am sure will be another great experience! All the very best for 2013.
Fleet
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Have stayed several times before at Wokefield Park in the Exec centre and always had a pleasant stay so thought we would go to the New Year James Bond themed event with friends.

We had upgraded our room for an extra £15.00 and this was worth it. We have always stayed in the same large room on the top floor hence we had to pay a little extra. This time round we were pleasantly surprised to see it had been given a lick of paint and new furniture; there was even a little table and two chairs on the small balcony. On previous visits the room was beginning to look rough around the edges.

Originally our friends took the room that came with the package which was on the ground floor (117) they were unable to control the heating and could not sleep with the door open, the room was very hot, also there was no wardrobe just hanging space and old furniture. They upgraded for their second night to room 703, modern furniture and wardrobe, however the room was very dark and they were unable to get the TV working. The room was nowhere near as hot and the windows opened. To be honest they were not really that impressed with either room but loved our one and on that basis alone would probably return.

We all ate in the bar, lovely food although on New Year’s Eve afternoon the service was very slow, not sure about the other 3 meals but my one was only just warm, if I had not waited so long for it I would have returned it. I had the burger chips and onions rings, well presented on a wooden chopping board. Good selection of wine but like most of the hotels these days never that cheap!

The event itself was brilliant from start to finish, because we were a table of 4 we were seated in the Steam Grill and Bake restaurant with larger parties in one of the rooms of ‘The Street’ You could not fault the beautiful array of food with plenty of different options from starters through to desserts. We had re-ordered our drinks (saving 10%) for the evening and these were waiting on our table with plenty of ice to keep it cool. Saved having to keep asking the waitress for a top up! When we went to the dance floor our drink was put behind the bar for us. Just a shame the disco music was nothing special not your usual mix of 80’s music etc. that people like to dance to.

New Year’s Day checkout was not till midday and the food was in the form of breakfast/brunch served till 2pm which was a pleasant surprise. There was a fabulous selection you could not possibly be disappointed. There were even fresh mini waffles which had been brought out on a piece of slate, beautifully presented. I did notice that the desserts on offer were from the night before and although sadly I did not see a cheeseboard the previous night I guess that were leftovers as well.

We also made use of the Spa facility which can be found in the Mansion House. We had all pre-booked treatments; no complaints at all and the staff were all very friendly. One disappointment was the steam room was not working and the sauna had only just been turned on and it was gone midday. In the changing rooms there was no shower gel in any of the showers, when I asked was told waiting for them to come in. The individual shower gels were located in the loo!

We will be back as never really had any reason to complain however having seen our friends basic room with old furniture that’s quite off putting and I noticed the corridors are looking a bit rough nowadays.

Room Tip: Make sure you dont have a basic room as rough around the edges
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your comprehensive review. We are delighted you had such a great stay with us. I am really pleased that you have noticed some of our extensive refurbishment to date. I was sorry to learn that your friends were not as equally pleased with their room; specific points have been remedied immediately by our in-house team wherever possible. Clearly you have enjoyed our catering which is fantastic and an area we truly are passionate about. Thank you for the feedback on the bar menu items, which has been raised to our Executive Head Chef and catering team for review. We are delighted you enjoyed our luxurious Spa facilities and are pleased to say our challenge with the Christmas toiletry orders and delivery and steam room have now been fully resolved. Over this year we will be continuing our bedroom and public areas refurbishment as we continue to invest in our property. We hope to see you again soon for another great stay.
verwood
Reviewed January 2, 2013

!Spent new years eve here very good staff great made us very welcome.surprised they did it for the the price. very good rooms would stay again. lovely position i would think very busy with confrences but funchions like news years they would do well.

Room Tip: just ask! i am sure the staff would be helpfull amazing today if you speak to people as you wish to...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your lovely feedback. It is particularly rewarding to gain recognition for our great team and great value. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Venue to see in 2014, if not before!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2012

OMG! the hotel description are misleading. if you think you will be staying in the mansion itself, you have been fooled. The hotel does not inform there are two very different buildings, the mansion house and the executive, so you don't get to pick. The Executive is shaggy, very old and stale. First room I got was smelling, I complained and got another room, still old but not smelly. There is no air- conditioning in the executive building, so room was very hot. I complained as the hotel description included air conditioning so I was moved to the Mansion house. I thought this would be better but was i surprised, Air-conditioning was not working at the mansion house and despite several complaints it was not fixed. They eventually brought in an air cooler which blew hot air. sleeping at night was difficult due to the heat.
I admit the Mansion house is much nicer looking than the Executive building but that where it ends, service standards are rubbish, facilities are old and maintenance none existing. a real let down. Free tea in the reception is the only plus I can give the hotel.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank fjay_11
DWPFeedback, Operations Manager at De Vere Wokefield Estate, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am a little schocked at the description of deception. Our web site and literature and even my posts here, do clearly state there are several residential buildings on site, with the Mansion House and Executive centre being two of the four. We even provide a map on the front page of our site to help you navigate and thanks to a recent post here I have added this to our pictures on TripAdvisor. When booking rooms there is a picure of the exact room type with a description of the room facilities and which building it is located in below the picture. I can only imagine you may have booked through a third party who may not have provided the correct information to you.
Regards
Rob Pynegar
hmw
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Firstly I should point out that we stayed Christmas Eve, and Christmas day, we came prepared and ready knowing that the Hotel would not be running at full capacity and with limited service in some areas.
We had booked just a standard room, having stayed in the Golf/Executive/Street building whatever it is before.
However on arrival we were told we had been upgraded to the 'Mansion House' rooms because there were so few occupied rooms to avoid spreading the guests out.
Fantastic! Until we saw the room. 311, on the top floor, up two staircases, 4 corridors, another staircase and two more corridors.....after which I was more than willing to collapse on the bed!
The room itself was tiny, infact less than tiny, it was a coffin with a bed in it!
2.5m by 3.5m would be a fair size, and squeezed in to that was a bed, desk, cabinet, suitcase Holder and space to walk around!
The window was higher than normal, and smaller than normal, opening 10cm or so maximum, which is a shame as the room smelt.
We spoke to reception and asked to move to a larger room and nearer to reception if possible as this one was claustrophobic, and was told, very apologetically that all the available rooms would be of a similar size and on the same floor.
So we headed to the spa, a notice saying that all staff were in treatments and to ring reception (4405 I think) for assistance.
We did this, no answer, waited a couple of minutes then tried again, same thing. We walked all around the spa, called out, nobody there....... so walked back down to reception, the girl there said no, there was nobody there, and to just help ourselves to towels and use the facilities, or to head over to the street where the pool was as that was manned.
We did this, and it was okay, apart from the 'Gypsies' washing their clothes in the shower and cutting their kids hair, and of course.......no lockers to put your stuff in.
The changing room was also a right mess.
So we relaxed here, did nothing and went back to the coffin for TV and bed.
Woken up by one of our neighbours snoring, and then at just after 6 by the pigeon orgy that was happening on the windowsill. This put pay to any hopes of sleep.
The next day we went for a walk in the grounds, no care is taken, equipment and tools are just scattered around and you will see the staff having a crafty ciggy out the back.

All in all it was a little too basic, even for £30 a night had we been in the larger rooms I think we would have been happy, but the servants quaters on the top floor, poor.

Staff all in all were friendly, in particular the bar and restaurant staff and the short Polishuanian cleaner man who we seemed to see everywhere and was working very hard.

Would I recommend? No, unless you get a £19/29 deal and are happy with a little bit of discomfort.

As always though the refreshment station was fantastic, and the theatre playing movies and the photbooth were well thought out additions for Christmas!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. It is disappointing to read your comments as having been on duty for the entire festive period I could have looked at different room options personally, had I been informed of your dissatisfaction. We were offering a reduced rate for room only booking over this period and were around £20 cheaper than the local budget hotels, with full leisure facilities and complimentary tea and coffee throughout as well as a few little extra touches you mention, we will take on board your feedback so as to look at what we offer over this period in future.
Regards
Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11
Highfield Park
Highfield Park
#1 of 1 in Heckfield

Been to De Vere Wokefield Estate? Share your experiences!