“Needs better management”
Review of Copper Mountain

Copper Mountain
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Frisco or San Francisco. Denver or Dallas. It doesn't matter where you're from. If you've skied here, you've been raised on some of the best Colorado has to offer. For generations, people have valued a down-to-earth ski experience that puts friends, family and a relaxed mountain atmosphere above all else. It's why the Colorado front range has always considered Copper the home team, and why families from across the globe call Copper home. The place you go for a mountain experience that's refreshingly void of pretense. Wherever your home address may be, if you've skied here, you've been raised on Colorado. Welcome home.
Reviewed February 13, 2014

It takes money to make money. I kept thinking of this while visiting Copper. I know the corp that owns Copper can do better. What are they thinking? Ambiance in the ski village is part of the vacation package! First, I always enjoy the natural gas fire pits. They were only on during the weekends. The people walking around the village or coming off the mountain to sit by the fires were disappointed in the lack there of. How many tshirt shops can you fit in one village? When I visit Copper, I feel as if it is a day resort. The skiing is great but there is more to a ski trip than just the skiing. We stayed in a condo in the Mill Club. The condo was average. The hot tub area, fair. The excercise equipment old. Maybe one day Vail will purchase Copper and we can see an overall improvement. At least this year, most of the stores have been rented. A quick ownership turnover was the norm. Powdr corp, needs to step up their game.

2  Thank equestrian_12
in 14 reviews
"snow tubing"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed February 10, 2014

We skied two days here. Fun intermediate mountain with a moderate amount a varied terrain. The days we were there, they had fantastic snow. And for the money a very good value. They have fast pass where you can pay extra and get into a special lift line to get up and down faster which we did. This saved us hours of lift lines since we were there on a holiday weekend and enabled us to get in numerous additional runs.

We always put our young sons in ski school when visiting ski resorts out west so we can enjoy the slopes. The one thing we liked about Copper was the ski school was very accessible to the rest of the mountain making it easy to get there if needed and for pick up. The drop off was very convenient as well. There was an unloading area with wagons so you could dump all your stuff and take the kids in to ski school. There were some easy to navigate greens to take our sons on after ski school as well.

However, I was disappointed in the ski school manager. I had made reservations weeks in advance saying my son had type 1 diabetes. When I arrived and asked to speak with the manger, he said he "knew nothing about diabetes" and had made no arrangements to help manage this with his staff. Competitor mountains we have skied at in CO have at a minimum paired my son with an instructor who had some knowledge of this disease for one reason or another, e.g. their college roommate had it. I will say on day two, a part time nurse was my son's instructor but I think this resulted from a conversation between the instructors.

Bottom line is that it would have been nice if the manager knowing he had a type 1 diabetic child coming in had done a little research to see who on the staff would be most comfortable and best suited for this.

Otherwise, I would give Copper Mountain a positive rating and will ski there again. I would caution parents that have kids with special needs not to to expect anything from the manager there.

2  Thank LadyRouge
Reviewed February 8, 2014

This mountain is about 75 miles from Denver, but about 2.5 hours by car on the weekend, but once you're there it's great. The runs are good with varying levels of difficulty. We didn't run into any problems renting our equipment or getting our lift tickets. The chairlift were running great and didn't run into any issues there either.

1  Thank ee978
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

Since a pro ski resort company took it over 4 or 5 years ago. It's become a much better ski area. The old negative perception still lingers. Slopeside restaurants are reasonable. A four ski day group tour with air fare to from Chicago , ground transport, condos within walking distance to to the slopes and fast pass lift tickets 800 dollars.

2  Thank Dissapointed820