“thanks for a great stay!”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Colorado Springs North
Ranked #30 of 104 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We spent a couple of nights in mid August, facility has all you should need when choosing a HI express, internet is free and worked great, room has plenty of space, fridge and microwave. We got an early check in without any problems which we really appreciated because we had plans for sightseeing in the early afternoon and did not want to leave our bags in the car. Breakfast room was well stocked and clean. Employees were always friendly!

Room Tip: ask for a west facing room for an excellent view!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Stephanie H, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Colorado Springs North, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thanks for your honest review, we here at the Holiday Inn Express Colorado Springs Air Force Academy appreciate your business! I'm glad you enjoyed your room, complimentary early check-in, and service! Great tip about requesting a mountain view room-isn't that view fantastic? We hope to see you all again!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Don't stay here the hotel is old and smells like smoke. We moved to the Staybridge suites behind it which is new and nice. I had to open the window which only opens 6 inches and open the door to the room to try and air it out. But don't bother it's in the drapes, carpet, mattress, etc. I took the thing off the wall in the hall which was buzzing. Upon inspection I realized it was an air freshener, not an ionizer / cleaner, just pulls air across a fragranced thing sort of liking a public urinal smell better with the giant mint thing. They have one in the lobby too. So dismounted it from the wall and put it in our room. Moved to the Staybridge suites behind it the next night which was nice new and clean. A no smoking room on a smoking floor is like being in the no peeing end of a pool with a peeing end.

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth floor are marketed as non smoking but it is on a smoking floor so your room will...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Russell T
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Colorado Springs North, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear Russell T,

We certainly appreciate you taking the time to convey your thoughts regarding your stay with us.

I'm sorry to hear that your experience was not what you expected. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the dissatisfaction and inconvenience caused by the smell and deeply regret the negative impact this has caused you.

Your experience is definitely not reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves with. As such, your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future improvements where possible. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I took a trip to Colorado Springs for a 3 night stay at the Holiday Inn Express by the Airforce Academy. As an employee of a Holiday Inn Express in Kansas City (I won’t say which one as I don’t want this to be about trying to promote my own hotel) I had high hopes for going to a hotel very like my own. Before I even got there I had talked to Brian, the front desk manager, about needing a refrigerator in my room for my diabetic sister. We worked it out so we got an upgrade to a suite since that was the only room they had with one, and only a small increase to our rate. I probably could have talked him down from even that by hammering on about it being for a medical reason but I know they could have sold that room for a lot more then they got so I let it go. When we got there we were checked in by Brian and he was very helpful in getting us a room with a nice view of Pike’s Peak. However that’s when things started getting a little, well, bad. When we walked into the room we found that there were three firm pillows and only one soft on one bed and on both beds the pillows were in the wrong pillow cases. There were two different sizes of sheets on both beds. There was a thing I think was from a toy cap gun on the floor and dead spiders on the wall above the toilet. And worst of all a hair covered bar of soap left in the bath tub. We took a nap as we had been on the road for eight hours and then went back upstairs to talk to Brian about the problems with the room. He heard us out and offered us points which we turned down because while these things were all bad none were life or death. All we asked was that he passed it on to housekeeping and make sure that when we let them into the room (after the second night we took the Do Not Disturb, known from here on as a D.N.D, of the door) that they clean up the spiders. He said he would be more than happy to do so and gave us some good tips on where to get some dinner. Skip ahead to breakfast the next morning. In a hotel that has fewer rooms and guests then my own why do they need two breakfast attendees? Whatever, they can do their own thing I’ll just laugh at them. What did annoy me was that there was no fruit at all. The hot water for the tea was nowhere near where the tea, sugar and cups were. There was only one kind of yogurt and they were out of two of the four cereals. Altogether, things could have been a lot better especially with a second person working whose job it seemed was to sit in the back and talk for a few hours. The second day we got up early and missed breakfast so we could do somethings in the surrounding area. We didn’t have any real trouble with the hotel though when we got back in the afternoon and used the hot tub we found that the timer to tell you when to get out did not work at all. The third day of the trip we took the D.N.D. off the door and went to breakfast. Again there were two people and not much work getting done. We left for the day and hoped that when we came back the room would be nicely cleaned up. Instead when we came back we found that the dead spiders were still hanging out on the wall. The beds, while made, still had the same sheets and the wrong pillow cases. The packets from making a pot of coffee with sugar and cream were left by the coffee maker. The Band-Aid wrapper, no Band-Aid in it, that my sister had used were still on the table. The bar of soap was gone but I think that was mostly because I had moved it from the bath tub to the trash can myself as I didn’t want it in there with me for my morning shower. We called it a night and went to bed. My sister got up early and went out to the car without her room key. When she asked the front desk, again Brian, if they could make her a new one they did not ask for I.D. and did not confirm what room she was in. Now, I know that Brian had checked us in and had seen her with me but I don’t know of any hotel that does not have a standing policy of checking I.D. REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT YOU KNOW THE GUEST!!! Without confirming that she was supposed to be in that room Brian gave her the key to the room she told him she was in. He did not even check if it was the room she was really in! She could have asked for any room number and he would have made it up! Combine this with the fact that on the first night I was there I walked up to the lobby at about 3am and the front door was wide open with no one at the front desk for over an hour (I clocked it) and that leaves me to think that the only thing between me and a theft is the vary door that he just gave a key to without a second thought! Needless to say I was not all that happy with my stay. However, I being a person who has worked in hotels for the last five years give or take and having a father who has been working in them for longer than I can remember, know that things go wrong. People make the wrong choice, cleaning can be over looked. In the end, all they had to do to make it right was ask one question. On my last morning there before I checked out I went up to the desk and talked with the General Manager. I told her all of my troubles, the things that went wrong and did not get fixed. The only thing she had to do to make it right for me was ask me what I would like her to do about it. I wouldn’t have even asked for anything, I was already getting a great rate and I knew that there was nothing in her power to offer me that would be worth asking for. But the asking of the question “What can I do to make this right for you?” would have been enough to show me that she gave a damn. Instead she apologized and said she would talk to her housekeeping manager. That was it. Nothing else on this trip pissed me off as much as that. I know things go wrong, it’s a fact of life. I know not everyone will leave happy. But it seemed like she just didn’t care enough to even try and that makes me mad because that sets a bad tone for all Holiday Inn Express’ in the world. And I don’t want someone to look at my hotel badly when they come to Kansas City just because they had a crappy stay at this one. I know that in all likely hood soon after I post this a paragraph worth of print will pop up under it saying how sorry they are for not being able to resolve my problems with their hotel, how they would really like me to contact them to see if we can’t find some way to fix it, maybe even offering a free night if I would ever like to come back. But as an employee of a hotel I know that even if I do call them it is very unlikely anything will be fixed. That message will be for you to read not me. And you will have to decide if I am the long winded pain I may sound like, or if there is any sincerity to their reply. I merely hope I have been a help.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sean F
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Colorado Springs North, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Sean F,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed here during a small family vacation. The hotel staff was overly nice. Even helped my niece with breakfast when we were walking into the dining area when they were clearing food. Room was clean. Plenty of space for myself, husband, and 3 children and dog. We were next door to the pool which was a bit loud during the day but no noise in the evening. The large bear we saw the last night rummaging in the dumpster added to the experience of exploring Colorado!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Stephanie H, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Colorado Springs North, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Laurau531, thanks for this review! We are glad you enjoyed your stay. We welcome furry guests too! :) Since we are near the creek/woods, we do have some great wildlife, and have seen a bear coming in the nighttime to dine on our trash! We are making sure everyone knows about him and alerting guests not to go around him! We hope to see you all again soon, thanks again!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We had a wonderful experience at the Holiday Inn in Colorado Springs. Although the stay started off bumpy, our room was not ready when we arrived and we had to wait an extra 45 minutes in the lobby. However, Brian at the front desk tried everything in his power to make us happy.

In fact, I think Brian has the best customer service I have ever seen at a hotel - ever.

While waiting in the lobby one morning, a woman pushed her elderly mother in a wheel chair to the front door and left her in the doorway as she went to get the car. That morning, people were trying to get around her as they checked out and through the door. I watched as Brian noticed this, went to the woman and asked kindly if he could move her over a bit. She agreed and he moved her just to the right out of everyone's way. However, instead of walking away, he knelt down and started to talk to her and remained with her until her daughter came - who was unaware of what happened. I was so touched and moved that he would go out of his way to stay with her to make her more comfortable.

In addition to the great customer service, the hotel was spotless and had everything we wanted and then some. Each morning we ate breakfast on the balcony with the view of the mountains. Could not have asked for more.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Pat_Homer_Glen, thank you for taking the time to share your review. It's so great that you enjoyed your stay, and it's great to hear that you were happy with Brian's service, he is a great asset to our team! We all hope to see you and your family again.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We came across this hotel after 3 long days of hiking. Without a reservation, we pulled up to this hotel and walked in hoping they had an empty room. The receptionist greeted us very politely with a smile and asked how she could help. I asked if there were any non-smoking rooms and she said all they had was a room with 2 queens. It was a bit expensive, but because we had nothing else in mind, we were willing to pay for the convenience. After telling her that we were IHG Group Members, she gave us a little goodie bag with bottled waters and chips to snack on. She then gave us an info sheet that listed check-out times, pool hours and when the complimentary breakfast was served.
We were able to use the business center to check-in for our flight online and print off our boarding passes. This was very convenient and saved us a lot of time at the airport.
In the morning as we were leaving, we asked where a good brunch place was and the receptionists quickly suggested 2 places and gave us directions to both of them. We ended up going to the Egg and I, great recommendation. The receptionist gave us a smile and wished us a great day and we were off.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephanie H, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Colorado Springs North, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Hi Kaytlin, thanks for your review! We appreciate you staying with us as well as being an IHG Rewards member! We're glad you enjoyed the stay and hope to see you again!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Located 1 block off the freeway, easy to find and get to. We were given a king bed suite which had a loveseat, microwave and refrigerator. Room was crowded with little space between the desk, bed and wall. Also the room looked a bit worn with a torn window screen, droopy window covering and an unattached air conditioner cover. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the hotel was quiet. The free wi-fi worked great and the breakfast was appreciated. Overall, a good stay but nothing special.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side of the hotel face the freeway, rooms on the back side face Pikes Peak but yo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

pmlago, thank you for your review! It's great to hear that you enjoyed our beds, location, and breakfast as well as complimentary Wi-Fi. Its a concern to hear about the maintenance issues, if you have a free minute would you contact me with which room you were in so we can fix them? I'd also like to credit your account 5,000 IHG Rewards points for the inconvenience. I hope to hear from you soon!