“A nice property- but room for improvement.”

Holiday Inn Express - Air Force Academy
Ranked #35 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Lakewood, Colorado
“A nice property- but room for improvement.”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My family of four stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. We had a suite. The room was nice, but the bathroom was VERY small. Only enough room for one person at a time, which made getting ready difficult. We only received two towels each day- I called one day for extra, but never received them.
My wife left rings in the room & they were sent back USPS, although I had requested FEDEX so that they would be insured in travel. I did receive them in perfect condition, but it had my wife very nervous knowing that they were just in a regular envelope.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a suite if you want extra sitting room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brian B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Air Force Academy, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for staying with us! We appreciate your business. Thank you for the feedback and your comments are being taken into consideration with our management. We invite you to stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I liked this property. They recognized my Platinum PriorityClub status with a room upgrade (we got a small sitting area), and both the public areas and rooms were well cared for. I easily printed by airline boarding passes in their computer room (sounds simple, but I've had several Holiday Inn Expresses with ridiculous computer issues). Breakfast was excellent (perhaps because we were there on "bacon day"?), and better than at more upscale Staybridge Suites (owned by the same company, and there's a Staybridge adjacent to this hotel -- I wouldn't recommend paying the difference for a short stay). While on the north side of town, the hotel is very close to the interstate, and extremely convenient to the Air Force Academy and the Garden of the Gods. At the right price, I would happily return.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Stephanie H, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express - Air Force Academy, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dave's_reviews, Thanks for this review, we appreciate you taking the time to write it! We give our IHG Rewards members priority for upgrades, thank you for being a loyal Platinum member! One of my favorite things about our location is that we are adjacent to I-25 but you don't hear the noise, and the back half of our hotel has awesome views of the mountains. Thanks for your compliments, we would be happy to have you back again!
Gardner, Colorado
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I are discriminating travelers and we could not find anything really wrong with this hotel. Staff was great, always available. Room was clean and well appointed (we had a king suite) and had a wonderful view of the mountains and a nearby wetlands. We could not hear neighbors, the heat and a/c worked smoothly. The bed was great with lots of pillows (we did wish the room had a few firmer pillows). Surprisingly this hotel had one of the best cable TV options we've ever experienced (direct TV with a complement of HBO channels)., Breakfast was consistent and varied (we appreciate lots of protein options). Fitness room was, for the size of the hotel, top notch, everything clean and the spring water stocked. Hot tub and pool were good size, hot/warm. The location was good for us for eating options nearby and hiking at the Garden of the Gods. This hotel stop was sweeter for us because Priority Club recently listed it as a Points Break hotel, so it was a very good value.

Room Tip: Upper floor facing west.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Stephanie H, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express - Air Force Academy, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
dogbuckeye, thanks so much for taking the time to post this kind review, it is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We appreciate that you chose us, thank you for your business and we hope to see you both again!
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Room was clean and very comfortable, parking here is an issue though. Breakfast could use more fruit and the juice machine was not working properly. Front staff was very friendly and helpful. I travel 2 states and stay at HI Express's in both states. I would rank this one as average.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Air Force Academy, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Barry F,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am pleased that you liked your room accommodation. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. I am sorry that you had issues with parking and that our breakfast selection fell below your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Although this is not a bad hotel, this is probably the least nice of all the Holiday Inn Express hotels I have stayed at. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was okay - coffee was cold, and the toaster kept blowing the circuit. My room was decent. Didn't seem very new, and there was some wear and tear on the walls and base boards. The bathroom was tiny! The door had to be shut in order to reach or get into the shower. But the door almost skimmed the toilet when you closed it. I had a dried-out, dirty wash rag in my shower, and the lotion bottle was half gone. The workout room - wow - that was torture. There's no TV in there, and the treadmill faces a wall AND a clock. I could hardly stand it!

Also, it snowed pretty heavily the day we left, and no one from the hotel shoveled the snow at the front door even though I spotted a snow shovel hiding behind a plant.

As far as noise in the room, I did not hear a thing! But there was a large gap at the bottom of my door, and I placed a towel down there to block the light streaming in from the hallway.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank OKTraveler77
OKTraveller77, I appreciate your review, this is an opportunity for us to improve and the best way for us to do that is through guest comments like yours. I am pleased to say that we have added a TV to our exercise room! Great feedback, by the way. I have also brought the housekeeping comments to our Owner and Director of Housekeeping, and we have implemented better room inspection policies so we don't have these problems again. We also have replaced the toaster. Are you coming to the area again? If so, I would love to have you back and give you a much better experience. Call me personally and I'll be happy to give you a complimentary upgrade to a suite. Thank you!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed there about weeks ago was okay.
Stopped again tonight after 10 min of yelling and finally knocked on doors person (NOT) working (sleeping) at front desk showed up. When I asked about a room and called him out about sleeping on the job had no comment. I told it was rude and he gave me back I cards and told me to leave.
Great guy went across the street to Hampton better rooms cheaper rates and very NICE person a the front desk. Not even sleeping ;-)
Remember Hampton NOT Holiday Inn Express Colorado Springs, CO Air Force Academy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Kathie S
Kathie S., I regret that your experience was not a better one. I have researched the situation and spoke with the front desk agent who was there that night. He was in the kitchen re-stocking breakfast items and did not hear you arrive. I'm so sorry that you had to wait, there is no excuse for that. In our meeting last Friday, we spoke about this and decided against having front desk employees leave the front desk area for any non-emergency issue. I do hope you will give us another try if you are in the area, feel free to contact me personally. I will make sure you have a much better experience! Thank you!
Alamogordo, New Mexico
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We were very pleased with the consideration we received from the hotel staff. We were there for a medical procedure, and they graciously accommodated us by giving us a room that was out of the way of a lot of traffic and noise.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Stephanie H, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express - Air Force Academy, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Vincent R., thanks so much for this review. We are all glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your business! Hope to see you again!