“great place to stay, pet friendly, nice staff, nice pool” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Quinta Inn Colorado Springs Garden of the Gods

La Quinta Inn Colorado Springs Garden of the Gods
Ranked #57 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“great place to stay, pet friendly, nice staff, nice pool”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

We have stayed here over a week during our military move. 2 adults, 2 kids and one dog. The staff is nice and knowledgable about the area, the breakfast was free, cereal, bagels, muffins, juices, fresh fruit. Pet friendly, many dogs around and a grassy area to walk them in. The room was very clean, smelled nice especially since it was a pet room. Beds are super comfy. Our TV was traded out during our stay for a flat screen :) The pool is nice and heated. Plenty of parking. My experience has been vastly different from other reviews. I dont know if they are under new management but the facility is very well kept. The housekeepers are always around and do a great job and are friendly. We were able to kennel our dog in the room when we needed to leave and the management was fine with that. Big closet in room. Bathroom has a separate sink area that makes the room a bt bigger and nicer. The hotel is bright in color and well kept, painted and clean walk ways. It is a big hotel with many rooms and some maze like walkways in the center area of the hotel. It also has a few outdoor lounging areas shaded with benches and tables. A nice place to stay over all. I would recommend to families on vacation or military moving.

Room Tip: Gives a military discount
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Rapid City, South Dakota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

We have stayed at several La Quinta Inns before, and this has been our least favorite stay. The hotel is really a motel, with rooms facing the outside. The walkways are a maze, and the overall impression is old and marginally kept. The beds were comfortable, but the room was small and out of date. The bathtub was not clean. Worst of all was the musty smell -- we were glad the windows could be opened, but the smell would not go away. We like the La Quinta chain because we travel with two dogs, and I am sure we were put in one of the "pet rooms"; however, there is no excuse for the room to smell like that. We did not feel that it was a good value for the price we paid. Also, the breakfast was very average.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank RoadRooster

Travelers are raving about these Colorado Springs hotels

Des Moines, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2010

I booked this "hotel" from a discount website, and it was described as being a small, clean hotel near Garden of the Gods with a pool. We were going down to the Springs for a wedding, so I thought it would be perfect for a night, especially because there was a sale and the room was under $50.

When we arrived, we discovered it was a motel, not a hotel. That was a big deal because we have a baby, so it wasn't like we could just take the monitor into a public area of the hotel like we planned when he was napping. Also, it was off of a busy street in a run-down-looking area. Also, this meant the pool was outside, and it was closed for the season.

The lady who checked us in kept coughing all over my son and me. I was grossed out. We went to our room, which she described as being "near the elevator." There were only two floors, but we decided to take the elevator up with our luggage. In spite of the 75 degree weather, the elevator was about 32 degrees. The doors shut and did nothing for about a minute, and then it soundly squeaked to the second floor, where the doors refused to open for another minute. I thought our family was going to freeze to death.

At our door, we could not get our punch-hole key to work. A toothless man had to come help us. As it turns out, once you put your key all the way in, you have to start to turn the knob, and then you have to shove your key in further. Then, you can turn the knob the rest of the way and thrust your body weight into the door, and it might open for you.

The room was OK. It stunk like that gross, powdery, perfumy stuff they sprinkle on carpets in cheap motels. I worried about my son crawling on it and inhaling it. The drawers were very light weight and slammed shut, and my son slammed his fingers in them twice.

During the day, when it was hot, we left the window open and could hear people yelling and cars driving by. At night, when it was cold, we turned on the heater, and it smelled like burned hair.

In the morning, we went down for the free breakfast. The sick lady was still there, being rude to people, and coughing on us as we walked by. Breakfast was some packaged muffins (they were OK), some fruit (good), some packaged oatmeal, and some frozen waffles. The coffee was good, but when my husband went to get some apple juice, all that poured out were gnats.

No, I would not recommend this hotel to a friend. This motel isn't even good for travelers who just want the cheapest place to lay their heads because then they can go to the Motel 8 for cheaper. This place is good for no one.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank WhirledPeas
Rogers, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

According to the website, we were expecting a rather pretty hotel and room. What we were told at checkin was "this is an old hotel, and things are supposed to look old". It seemed like more of a warning than a general statement. The rooms were not inside of the hotel, meaning in order to go to breakfast, we had to go outside first...like a motel. We could literally see light coming through the top, bottom and side of the entry door. The room itself was quite small. And since the hotel was older, the shower heads were made for really short people. I got a killer leg workout squatting down far enough to get my head under the shower head. The water pressure was fairly weak, the shower itself was very dark, and the hot water seemed limited.

They did supply a crib for our baby though, and that was nice. I'm not sure what brand the beds were, but they were literally the most comfy beds we've ever slept in, in any hotel. (ranging up to $400/night) And they supplied several different pillows with different thicknesses, which was quite nice.

The continental breakfast was a little below average for a continental breakfast. Packaged Lego waffles for the toaster, which made me laugh when i first saw it. Yogert, Raisen Bran and yummy Otis Spunkmeier muffins too. Maxwell House coffee, which is never good.

They said the pool was heated, but I think they actually meant that the pool was heated enough so that it wouldn't freeze.

I guess for the money, I shouldn't have expected anything more. If it wasn't for the beds, we would have hated it there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank OHJONNY
Alamogordo, New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

The service was adequate, but we made no special requests, so I can't judge how those might have been handled. The room was bland with an odd bathroom layout and no hot water. Beds were okay. The location was industrial, but we did not experience crime problems. Did not use the breakfast. Room doors are to the outside, and the stairway arrangement is a strange looking maze of ramps and stairs. This place will get you by if you're just passing through, as we were, but we won't go back.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gmaneis
Dawson, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

This is the second time I have stayed here. Clean rooms, clean pool. Close to restaurants and Garden of the Gods. No complaints.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Riverside, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

Stayed here for 3 days. The staff was very friendly. Rooms were ok and clean. Probably won't say here again as I dint get the feeling that maintenance was up to the task. Some of the stairs on the outside going up to the third floor were cracked and crumbling as I stepped. They were like that for the entire visit. The room door opens to the outside so more noise makes it into the room at night. The TV was substandard, even for a tube tv. I really don't watch much tv, but when I do, I would like to see a decent image. The bed was comfortable as were the pillows. I was on a little vacation with my daughter, she looked at the room and said it looks old, enough said. One good thing, I used my LQ rewards to pay for one of the nights.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family