“Charged me an cancelation fee 10 minutes after it was placed”

Econo Lodge North Academy
Ranked #73 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Lawson, Missouri
“Charged me an cancelation fee 10 minutes after it was placed”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I admit I was the one that made the mistake, HOWEVER please hear me out…

I call Econo Lodge themselves directly and spoke to Liz she was nice and friendly and took my reservation to stay 2 nights over the phone, I gave her my credit card information and ask her about the cancelation policy. She informed me that less than 24 hrs you can not cancel without being charged 1 night fee. That was fine because I had no intentions of changing my plans. As soon as I hung up the phone I realized I called the WRONG Hotel. I immediately (10 minutes) call back and the manager Keyur answered the phone I explained to him what happened and he rudely said “I was here and over heard her tell you what the cancelation policy was” I explained to him that it was my fault but it had only been 10 minutes so I would hope he would be able to canceled it without and fee. He refused, but he did reduce it down to only ½ night stay of $35.00. I accepted it, as it was my fault, but I still think after only 10 minutes as being booked he should have canceled without a fee…

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank HonestReviewerFrom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Will never stay here or at partner hotel in the future. Not worth the chance of repeating the worst experience I have ever had. Was completely unable to sleep due to sounds coming right through the door. Not just loud sounds, but all sounds. Door had no seals and had 1 inch gap at both top and bottom opposite corners. Am happy to send pictures. Mgmt told me it was my problem.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank TrvelL0ver
, General Manager at Econo Lodge North Academy, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to write us about your recent stay with us. I sincerely do apologize for the inconviniences you encountered during your stay. We often correct any issues that guests experience if those problems are communicated to us in a timely manner. I believe you told us about this problem at the time of check out. We haven't experienced this problem with any other guests that stayed in this room previously. We did give you 20% off your stay becuase of the problems you encountered. We have informed maintenance department regarding the door gap and the problem is being addressed. Thank you again for taking time to write us and we apologize for an unpleasant stay.

Travelers are raving about these Colorado Springs hotels

Arkansas
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We booked this through hotels.com based on the price. We paid $35 a night. Staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was continental with the addition of waffles. Hotel wasn't in bad shape but you could tell it had been used a lot. The room could have been a little cleaner because there was a lot of dust in the AC unit and we found hairs in the beds when we pulled the bed spread off. But since the sheets didn't smell dirty we gave it the benefit of the doubt that the bed wasn't just re-made but just from the housekeeper when she made the bed. We also noticed a smell like smoke eventhough we had a nonsmoking room. If the price had been higher we would have stayed elsewhere. It was just such a good price.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank sacArkansas
GeneralManagerCOS, Owner at Econo Lodge North Academy, responded to this review, March 25, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind and helpful review. We try to provide the best product we can with the best price point in the market and am glad to hear that you found our prices attractive. I have instructed our executive houskeeper to hold more training sessions with individual housekepers to do a better job in cleaning. I appreciate you taking time to let us know your candid opinion of our hotel. I am sure other travellers appreciate them as well. Once again, thank you for honest review and hope to see you when your future travels bring you back to Colorado Springs.
Westminster, CO
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I stayed at this hotel during business travel to Colorado Springs.
I almost never read reviews before posting my own, but in this case I did because I'm shocked at how low the marks are for this place.
I feel I received very good value at this hotel. I paid about $60 for a good sized room that was comfortable. I had only good experiences with the front desk.
It's not that this place is the Ritz, but again, I feel I got a good deal.
I might stay here again on business. It really isn't a "business" hotel, more for the weary traveler on the nearby highway. Still for that person, this Sleep Inn isn't a bad choice.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank valor155
GeneralManagerCOS, Owner at Econo Lodge North Academy, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to write us and informing possible guest of our hotel's quality. One of the factors that drives & motivates is the value for the price a guest paid. I am delighted to hear that you found a good value in our hotel. Thank you for taking time to write us. Have a good day!
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed September 15, 2011

COmfortable beds, typical Choice Hotel. Clean. Friendly. Good value for the money spent.

Not a great breakfast. No eggs, or anything.. typical continental fare.. bagels, toast, rolls, juice, coffee.. I prefer a good size hot breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to write us. I'm glad to hear that you found our hotel nice and clean. Our staff does a great job in maintaining the hotel as it were their own. Thank you for your time!
Romeo, Michigan
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Let me preface this by saying that I am not the kind of person that usually stays at 4 star hotels. I am used to saving money by staying at cheaper places, and I have grown to really like the comfort inn brand. I also hate it when people put down a cheaper hotel because it doesn't have luxury items like valet parking or a beautiful lobby. Saying that, this hotel was just really bad.
We checked in late and were really tired after driving all day. As soon as we entered the room, it smelled really musty. I should've went back to the counter right then, but we were really tired and just wanted to get some sleep. Got up the next morning and the smell seemed to be even worse. Went to take a shower and there was mold all over the bottom. Went to take a run and the place had no fitness center, was told I had to go next door and they didn't even have a treadmill there either! I asked the clerk if he could recommend a running route and he couldn't help at all. Breakfast was not great either, standard continental breakfast, but it was just not well staffed. Told the counter staff that the room was smelly/moldy and they just said they would fill out a maintenance form. Worse choice hotel I've ever stayed at.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cmichhax
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to write us. I am so sorry to hear of the issues you encountered during your stay. Please accept my sincere apology. I apologize for the room smell and can totally understand not wanting to go back to the front desk after a long day. I travel frequently and can totally vouch for your decision not to go back to the front desk. The room shouldn't have smelled like it did to begin with. I am so sorry that you had to go through it. We try our best to make sure guests start out their day with a good breakfast. I am sorry to hear that the items were not stocked and the breakfast area was not well staffed. I will communicate your displeasures with the rest of the staff and will definately take your comments to motivate us to do a better job. Once again, thank you for taking time to write us and am sorry to hear of the negative impression that our hotel has left for the rest of Choice Hotels.