“good stay”

Super 8 Cos/Hwy. 24 E/Pafb Area
Ranked #71 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
North Carolina
Reviewed July 29, 2012

First off, I want to make clear that I'm far from a hotel snob; I'm perfectly happy staying in lower-end establishments like Super 8, Red Roof Inn, etc. Now that we've got that out of the way, let me just say that this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Absolutely terrible from check-in to check-out. When we arrived there was nobody at the front desk, as the only employee on duty was out front having a smoke (we didn't realize he worked there because he didn't acknowledge us). After he realized we needed assistance he came inside and set his half-smoked cigarette on the counter in front of us while he checked us in. Not a good start. We were given a room on the bottom floor, which is actually slightly underground because of the way the hotel is built (the outside ground is at about waist height when you stand at the window). I'm not sure if it was because of this oddity or not, but the room reeked of musty dampness. This is an older hotel as well and is in bad need of a remodel; the furnishings, walls, and carpets were all beat up and the bedding was threadbare. Paper-thin walls and doors mean you hear everything around you at all hours of the day and night. The alarm clock, which my wife recognized as the same model she had in high school (mid-1990s), was flashing with the wrong time and could not be set because the "time" button on it was broken, which rendered it completely useless. The bathroom was full of problems as well; the curved shower rod, which is meant to give you MORE room in the shower, was mounted way too far inside the shower, resulting in even less space than a normal shower with a straight rod. One day the hose in the toilet tank came loose after being flushed and started shooting straight up in the air. Not realizing what had happened and wondering why the tank was running continuously, I opened the top and the water shot straight up to the roof, getting all over the towels, TP, and me. Breakfast was comically sparse; there was literally nothing but carbs. Prepackaged donuts and danishes, two kinds of cereal, bread, and bagels (with no condiments), along with extremely watered down OJ. That's it, and it was the same each morning.

I'd like to balance out this review by mentioning something good, but I literally can't think of anything pleasant about the experience. It was a house of horrors. Feel free to browse my photos to get a better idea of what to expect. And please pay no attention to the previous reviews; most of them were posted long ago and at least one appears to be a fake (notice that it doesn't have a single piece of specific information in it).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank more_jello_please
Pensacola
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for about a week and I liked it a lot. The staff is very helpful with EVERYTHING and always very nice. Great location, close to everything. The room I had was quite big and very clean. Nothing bad to say at all about this hotel. if I`m ever in the area again, I will make sure to stay at this hotel. ;-)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Hotel was in area that felt a little sketchy. Had to drive through gravel to enter lot. Truckers parked big rigs in gravel lot next door. Hotel worked for 1 quick night before an early flight home. About 10 minutes from the airport (looks closer on a map). Front desk staff was very friendly and quickly brought up more TP when asked. Room was clean but worn. My bed lacked a mattress pad, but travel partner’s had one. Very low frills, but low cost as well. Easy access from the highway. Found for $39 on Hotwire. Hotwire listed at 2-Star, but I would argue that rating.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed September 26, 2007

With no idea where to stay that was inexpense and not directly tied to the Colorado Springs Airport where the prices are sure to be higher. I was directed to the this Super 8 Motel by a Wendy's empolyee. Upon our arravial, there is only one place where you could turn into get to the motel. If you are coming from the west and are heading east bound, look for that turn off. If you pass highway 24's underpassage way, you went too far.

Anyway, being a former travel agent, I inquired about price and discounts. AAA and Millitary are usually what they honer. We paid for a three day stay and then my brother and I decided on staying for a month so we paid for the same room for one month. As far as the room and stay went, the rooms were always clean, had clean towels and freshly made beds. Since we were staying long term, I did notice that the bed sheets were not changed on a regular basis, I would say mine was about three times a week, which is still not bad. There seemed to be a miscommunacation with the number of towels to leave my brother and myself. We did not have enough one day, after speaking with the always positive and friendly front desk personnel, we then always received more then enough towels the next day forth. The property is small, but the adjacent open field next door was more then big enough to allow truckers to come and park their semi's with plenty of room to spare. Be Warned!!! There are truckers coming throgh to check in but they have never been a bother, noise wise. Early in the morning during the weekdays, the traffic is heavy due to people trying to get on highway 24 or into Peterson's Air Force Base. Remember, there is 3 lanes of traffic leading to the highway, I should know, while crossing two lanes of traffic, I was almost hit by an oncoming car that I did not see until it was on top of me. Be aware, there are no sidewalks around that area so you have to walk in the street to get to the gas station or the few local food places, should you decide not to drive.

In the month that I stayed there, I had no problems to speak of and would recommend it to my clients as a great place to stay if you need a sleeping room only. The free cable, local and longdistance calls, the basic morning breakfast and the Hi Speed Internet access were a big plus, I was just very disappointed in the cable channel selections (I beleive I counted 12 channels in all). for a longterm stay. The area appeared to me to be very, very safe. I found that downtown area is not the best place to stay, so I would return again and again to this motel.

• Liked — Price and location to main streets
  • Disliked — Small parking lot with one turn in and dirt fleld around the motel
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family