“Hotel was nice but...”

Ranked #14 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Manhasset, United States
“Hotel was nice but...”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Hotel was very nice. Room was clean, linens were spotless. However, the check in was not great, I was informed at 2:30am that they could not guarantee that they would have the room that I reserved, with the pull out couch that they advertised that the room had. Not what I wanted to hear with my exhausted kid wanting to go to sleep. That issue was resolved. The next issue was with the free breakfast we were supposed to get. Everyday that we ate there I would have to remind them that I was supposed to be on the list. After which, 'poof' I would magically appear on "the list". Not a deal breaker but irritating. The housekeeping staff must have gotten distracted one or two days when cleaning our room because they only left half of the usual linens. Also, I wouldn't think that every room in the hotel was like this but our bed was worn out. It sank in in the middle and had no support at all. My wife and I dealt with it because the room had the pull out couch and the location of the room was great so we used the "devil you know" principle to justify staying in the room. The breakfast buffet was pretty good, just not a lot of variation in the menu from day to day. I'm sorry that this review seems so negative, we do plan to stay there again for our next visit. I've stayed in much worse places than this. I just hope that these issues don't pop up again next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Sherri S, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Colorado Springs, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear NicholasH - We are sorry to hear of the issues you experienced during your recent stay. However, receiving your feedback is very important to us so that we can improve. Your comments will be shared with our staff as we want all of our guests to receive superior customer service along with a clean & comfortable room. Thanks again for your review & we will look forward to hosting you again the next time you are in the Springs.

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
ft collins co, United States
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The Hilton Double Tree in Colorado springs felt like a motel 6. The bath tub was clogged, you could hear every thing in the next rooms and most annoyingly the hall way. It took 1/2 hour to check in even after asking for a manager.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Sherri S, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Colorado Springs, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear StephenG - We are so sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We really try hard each & every day to provide a memorable experience for all of our guests. And as you will see from the majority of our reviews, we usually succeed. But unfortunately, we obviously fell short with your visit. Please accept our sincere apologies. This isn't the 'norm' for us so rest assured that your comments have been shared with the appropriate departments so that we can correct these issues. We do value your feedback & do hope that you will consider giving us another chance in the future. Thanks again.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The kids and I enjoyed our stay at the Double Tree, especially the warm cookies upon arrival. Breakfast was delicious, the room was clean and comfortable. We had a great view of the mountains and hope to return again for a getaway!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Sherri S, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Colorado Springs, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear TripAdvisor member - We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We always appreciate hearing from our customers. Thanks for posting your review & we will look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Fort Benning, Georgia
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have an overall favorable opinion of Doubletree Hotels based on past experiences. I stayed at this for four nights on business. The hotel was large and appeared to cater to large groups holding conferences and events in the hotel. No issues checking in or with the room. The room (single king or queen size bed) was great, and had a big desk w/ plenty of electrical outlets (sometimes these are hard to come by in other hotels). There was a good coffee maker and a very big flat screen TV, but no fridge or microwave. Housekeeping was great, and I never had to track them down for more coffee packs for my room because they never forgot to restock them. They had an excellent breakfast buffet that was expensive at full price ($13-$14) but affordable when we received our government discount (50%). The hotel is in a great location, close to a Target and good restaurants, but also a short drive to Fort Carson. If it weren't for one issue on the last night of my stay, I would have given the hotel 5 out of 5.

The issue was this: the hotel lounge significantly increased its beer/alcohol prices during a military ball held in one of the conference rooms. I ate at the hotel lounge the first night of my stay and ordered some beer, and the price was reasonable ($3-$4 draft). My last night I went to have a beer. The lounge was crowded with military in dress uniforms (they were having a dress ball in one of the conference rooms), and now the bar wanted $6 per draft.

The hotel lounge's level of quality certainly didn't justify the price either. The last time I paid $6 for a draft was at a very fancy restaurant directly on Puget Sound in Tacoma, WA, and the Doubletree's lounge was nowhere near as luxurious. It is a 'stereotypical' hotel bar. I left there feeling like I had been cheated, and I know those Soldiers were being ripped-off. (I wasn't attending the ball, but I am an active duty Soldier.)

I will likely stay there again because my boss likes it, but it has left me wary. I probably would try other hotels in the area before booking there again if I had the choice, simply because of their questionable ethics. Even if I somehow got 'happy hour' prices my first night there and got a deal on the beer (whichi I doubt), $6 for a domestic draft in an old hotel bar is absurd. No matter what, I certainly won't go to the lounge again.

Room Tip: It's a BIG hotel, so either park close to your room or you'll be doing some serious walking.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear RyanB - Thank you for your feedback about the recent stay you had with us. It sounded like everything was great except for the experience you had in our lounge. Your comments were very disturbing as this is not our usual practice. We did share your comments with the appropriate staff to ensure that this is not what takes place in our lounge. Please accept our sincere apologies & I do hope we will have another opportunity to serve you in the future. Thanks again.

ALBUQUERQUE, United States
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Convenient to everything we wanted to see in Colorado Springs. Friendly and helpful staff. We needed some items frozen - they keep them in the kitchen freeze. Clean and quiet room, with a niece view of the fountain. Very good buffet. We would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Sherri S, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Colorado Springs, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear SteveT - Thank you for taking a few moments to post a review of our property. So glad to hear that your stay was enjoyable & we hope we have the pleasure of hosting you again the next time you are in the Springs.

Orlando, FL
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed here 3 nights for business. The Hotel is pretty nice, and the room was comfortable and clean. It all just seemed a little in need of some care and attention. Nothing drastic... just stuff like peeling paint here and there - particularly on the ceilings (bathroom). The layout of my room was such that the AC unit blew down directly on the desk, which was fixed to the wall. So it was annoying to do work with the AC running, The last thing to mention is that the hotel is big and spread out... and a bit confusing, as some rooms are "2nd floor" but at ground level, and others are "1st floor" and also at ground level. Restaurant and bar are a plus, and there are other food options nearby. Probably a great place if you are attending a conference there...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Sherri S, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Colorado Springs, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Steve821 - Thank you for your recent review posting. We are sorry to hear that you didn't think we were up to par during your recent stay with us. However, we do appreciate hearing from our customers so I will definitely share your comments with our maintenance department. Please give us another opportunity the next time you are in the Springs. Thanks again.

Westminster, United States
Reviewed September 4, 2013

On arrival did not have room that we reserved in advance. Got room with different amenities then was initially reserved. Went to given room which smelled like smoke in an non smoking facility. was confirmed by attendant. Came back later that night to watch program. Channel was off line and techs could not correct it. Exercise room had broken machines/monitors in it. Not what we come to expect from Hilton/Doubletree.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear KarenK - We are sorry to hear about the issues you had on your recent stay with us. We obviously fell short of your expectations & truly apologize. We do appreciate your feedback & will share it with our staff. I do hope you will give us another try the next time you come to the Springs.