“Won't stay here again EVER”

Super 8 Colorado Springs/Chestnut Street
Super 8 Colorado Springs/Chestnut Street
Ranked #78 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Dewey, Arizona
“Won't stay here again EVER”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Stayed here based on other reviews. Definitely won't stay here again. The list of faults is endless. It starts with the front desk's security plexiglass shield with the voice holes just giving off that air of a low-rent dive in a dangerous neighborhood atmosphere. Cozy! Then there's the so-called non-smoking room stunk of cigarette smoke. Hack! Of course, with the room's stench of smoke, the A/C's filter perpetuates the smelliness of the room. Free Wi-Fi? Yeah, right. Only if the manager turns on the Wi-Fi modem. If they don't want to, better have your iPad or Smartphone. The bed was hard and lumpy, with slabs of concrete passing as pillows. I've been more comfortable while I've slept out on the ground while camping. The sheets and pillowcases had spots of dried blood on them. Lovely! The refrigerator was so noisy that I had to unplug it to get some sleep. The shower head was not adjustable, so if you want to set it to any other stream, tough. The tub faucet handle didn't adjust the water temperature of flow very well. But the best part is the tub with black smudges throughout it, looking as if it hadn't been scrubbed in about 6 months. The bathroom sink had no faucet aerator, so water would splatter everywhere. And then there's the towels with the dirty black smudges. I guess that's so they match the black smudged tub.
It's not the absolute worst dive I've ever stayed in. But it ranks in the bottom five of the dumpiest places. Someone mentioned waffles. Nope. Not there. They had a few muffins and some other bread things, and the coffee tasted like stale, watered down grounds. You want waffles, then go down the street a block south to The Waffle House for a better breakfast. You don't stay in a motel for waffles, you stay in a motel for sleep and a clean room. And this place doesn't fit that need. Next time I stay in Colorado Springs, it won't be at this place, and it never will.

Room Tip: A room in another motel is my choice for finding a good room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
super8chestnut, General Manager at Super 8 Colorado Springs/Chestnut Street, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
First of all, I, Nick Zaheer, Manager of Super 8 in Colorado Springs, would like to appologize to you for your bad experience at our hotel. We take pride in providing quality service and ammenties at our hotel. Obviously we failed this time. I would take this time to offer you a free night's stay or a 100% refund on your most recent stay. I am confident that should you decided to take up the free night's stay, you will have a much better stay.
Our fine record suggests that this was a one-off incident which is unacceptable. Please give us the opportunity to recitfy our mistake. We look forward to seeing you back at our hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my family in Dec. 2011. When we travel, the first thing we look for in a hotel is cleanliness. Let me tell you that this hotel was really clean. All the way from the lobby and public areas to the room and bathroom, we were impressed. The staff was courteous and helpful. The best thing was the price. we stayed in a room with two beds, with breakfast, wifi, micro, mini fridge, iron set, hair dryer included in the price. We stay in hotels all the time, but with all the ammenities included this was by far the cheapest. I would definitely recommend this hotel for all types of guests. Wether your just traveling through town or in the area as a tourist, this hotel is centrally located right off the Interstate. All the main attractions are within 20 minute driving distance.
The only thing they can work on is probably landscaping. Bottomline is, you cant go wrong by staying here. highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike C
Monroe, Louisiana
Reviewed June 4, 2010

The person at the front desk didn't ask for any credentials, not even a driver's license, upon check-in.

The motel was completely empty and they gave us the only room with no working air conditioner or plumbing. The beds felt like sheets laid over a bunch of springs and a piece of plywood - the most uncomfortable beds I've ever slept on (and I can sleep in a car if I have to). We had to ask to change rooms. The manager was curteous about our request and accommodated us immediately, but a different person from the one who checked in requested the new room key and he still didn't ask for any credentials before handing over the room key..

The second room had working air conditioner and plumbing and the beds were much more comfortable, but there were blue and brown streaks on all of the walls. The bathroom was run-down, but clean. On one of the beds, the mattress cover and fitted sheet wouldn't stay on. We always ended up sleeping on bare mattress. They never gave us enough towels and washcloths and we always had to ask for more. On one of the days we stayed, the maid service came in, turned off our air conditioner and refrigerator, and didn't pull the door closed. We came back to the motel and our room was open and our food was spoiled. I told the manager about it and he was very apologetic and curteous.

Our room key never worked. We had to ask for a new room key every day.

The continental breakfast was ok, and the location is convenient. The price was super cheap (we stayed here because we had 6 nights free; otherwise I would have stayed somewhere else). If you check in, make sure you don't get room 116. There is supposed to be free internet service, but it is as slow as dial up and the cable is very fuzzy like it's from an antennae. I didn't hate staying here, but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed February 13, 2010

I just discovered this site today, but am writing a review for this hotel based on a one-night stay in August 2009. My wife and I stayed in this hotel while on a trip through Colorado and nearby states. Having stayed in about 7 different "economy rate" hotels of all brands on the trip and dozens over the years around the U.S., this hotel was the most impressive! It impressed us enough that I wanted to write about it 6 months later :)

The location can be viewed as a Pro or Con.. depending on your needs. We chose this hotel due to its close proximity to Route 25 and major roads, and we found the hotel to still be very quiet. Adequate free parking was available, but could be tight if you have a very long vehicle (RV or really large van perhaps).

All hotel staff provided exceptional service, and the entire hotel was very, very clean! I've worked in housekeeping in the past, so I have a high attention to detail in hotel cleanliness matters. The continental breakfast was of the standard sort, but all breads, fruits, and coffee were very fresh. The "dining" area was also very clean and comfortable.

I am not sure if we stayed in the absolute nicest room available or if all rooms are the same. What I can say is that this was among the cheapest hotels that we stayed in over the course of the trip. Compared to those other hotels (even ones 50% more costly), our room at this Super 8 was BY FAR the nicest and most well equipped! Included were a microwave/mini fridge, iron and board, free wifi, and plenty of clean towels (all of which are seldom included in similarly priced hotels).

Bottom line.. this hotel is a great value and an excellent hotel overall.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple