“great value, great breakfast”

The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs
Ranked #15 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
halesowen
“great value, great breakfast”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

as with previous reviewers what more can u say about the breakfast! we had a problem with noise above our room on the first of a three night stay, staff dealt with this promptly and moved us to an upper floor at 12.30 am. overall very impressed - the bar/restaurant was very good and good value particularly if you have booked direct and received a $10 voucher to use each night. negatives - if you do not have children the shouting and squeeling coming from the open swimming pool can be offputting. we asked to eat inside the bar every night.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (638)
Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

Great location, great hotel, great breakfast buffet... Overall totally great family experience. The buffet for breakfast is better than most with custom omelettes and just about everything you could want.

• Stayed July 2014
Lynnwood, Washington
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I made an online reservation and was initially excited about staying. I phoned from the airport that I would be arriving around 4:30pm and had spoken to Dayne that morning who was very helpful when I requested a second floor room. When I arrived, it was busy and a black woman at the check in I thought was rude when the man was checking me in I mentioned that I had requested a second floor room which Dayne had already arranged for me. She also said there was going to be an additional hold on my account because I was using a debit card. No one mentioned this and she started moving things around. She was not friendly and her customer service was underpar. She sort of barked at me that they were trying to have me not have to wait. The room they put me in was hot and there was a moth I had to set free. I had been in the hotel in the past for meetings and for a meal. I always liked the fireplace and the waterfalls and the pool. I wanted to swim and there were a million kids so I opted for the hottub. The restaurant server in the am was repeatedly touching her hair and her nose and did not wash her hands--- disgusting indeed. the breakfast buffet was cold. Unfortunately, it was not what I was hoping for and overpriced for what I experienced. Also, I did not appreciate that someone entered my room while I was at breakfast. Debra Bordeaux

Room Tip: Don't let them put you over past the restaurant as there is no elevator.
1 Thank Debra B
Martinsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Thank you for all your services. We were extremely happy that we had found a excellent place to stay and eat. Your staff went above and beyond for our family. I would recommend and play on staying here again in September.

Urbandale, Iowa
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I only had 2 staff that were pleasant and helpful, the owner and rest of the staff were short, rude, and seemed to be bothered by the fact you were asking a question.
Everything for our group was arranged through email. When we arrived everyone's reservations were messed up and the prices had changed, plus the extra fees for using debit card ranged from $25-$50 per day...then released back to you 4-5 days after check-out. This was not pointed out when we booked our group.
Some of our group was asked to switch rooms daily because they had made a mistake with their reservation, customer service lacked when handling their errors.
Hotel stated it was "pet friendly", but the owner was not. They placed pet rooms by their main doors and office doors. This was extra noise that caused the pets to bark constantly.
Great space for kids and adults to hang-out but owner drank several nights there and displayed inappropriate behavior with his girl-friend at the bar which made customers leave due to the scene he was making.
Breakfast was fabulous and always had plenty of food. We also ate at the restaurant several nights in a row. Sometime our food was good, other nights our order was wrong. The most disturbing part was on our 3rd night eating there, my son ordered chicken fingers. Since they appeared hot, I began to cut them up only to find they were still RAW in the middle, about 1 inch in diameter still un-cooked. The server replaced them with a new order and offered to take them off our bill, but when the check came they were still on the bill and I had to follow-up and ask him to take them off like he had offered. It was a good thing I cut-up my child's food that night. The cook nor the owner came over to offer any apology. Customer service lacked in the situation.
The pool area was nice. The hot tub was dirty often.
Rooms were cleaned daily but the amount it was cleaned varied depending on the staff cleaning it. My sheets were not changed during my stay and I was there for 9 nights.
We liked that there were things for the kids to do and the staff tolerated the kids being kids.

Room Tip: Request a refrigerator upon arrival. Not every room had a refrigerator.
Green Features: I understand being environmentally-friendly and we re-used our towels to help, but I stayed for 9 nights and my sheets were not changed at all.
1 Thank ralbf
VILLA GROVE
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have stayed at the Academy Hotel many times over the past 7 years or so, and I have never been disappointed. I'm sure my family and I have tallied up dozens of beautiful visits to your hotel and not one time has been less than excellent. Every staff member shares a smile, is eager to help and displays the utmost in hospitality. Breakfast is consistently excellent and the restaurant/bar has a full menu, great variety and the quality will not be beat. Well done Academy Hotel. Well done, indeed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Sd
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We know when we stay here it will be a clean and comfortable room. The staff at the front desk greet you warmly. Could not make internet connection from room this trip but we made do without computer.

Room Tip: Ask for room with less A/C noise. The handicapped room we had on 1st floor (great room) had a rathe...
Green Features: Love the soap, shampoo, and lotion dispensers. It was nice that hotel had messages explaining linen and towel changing if desired.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple