“Pride of the Rockies Weekend Stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs
Ranked #15 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Colorado
“Pride of the Rockies Weekend Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We have been staying at this hotel for the past 4 years during the Pride of the Rockies tournament. Each year has been a pleaurable experience. This year was a little different. Friday night was nice. The employees were very friendly. However the owner didn't make a good impression on me! Late Saturday night, he was in the bar and was really drunk. He caused a huge scene and made another team mom very upset because he was going through her bag. He was very drunk and said some nasty things.
I left the bar area to go to bed because I was ashamed of how an owner of a business like this could act this way. He is risking his loyal clients not coming back in the following years.

Our league and team will have to think twice about staying here next year.

Leslie Tancredo

Room Tip: Executive Suite has better beds
1 Thank LeslieST

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

When I read the reviews I was excited to have a nice hotel right next to the Air Force Academy. My husband is a "76" Grad and wanted to show his son all around.
As we entered the hotel is seemed nice, and the staff was very friendly. They didn't have any rooms with a view of the mountains left, although I had requested that when I made the reservations. The gentleman at the counter was very pleasant and said they only had a second floor room with no elevator to take up the luggage.
We decided to look at the one bedroom suite before moving all our luggage in. So glad we did. I asked for a 1 bedroom suite with 2 queen beds so our son could either sleep in the extra bed or the pullout couch in the separate room.
As we walked into the room it was a narrow hall to get into a tiny area with a couch. We had a hard time finding the light switch since everything was so dark. The room was old, and not big enough to open the hide a bed without moving a large piece of furniture. My husband wanted to see what kind of view we had so he rolled up the very old plastic shade and saw the lobby .All the trees with twinkle lights, lots of people and more. The only way to have privacy was to pull down the shade and be in the dark.
Just for kicks we went into the bedroom where we had to trip over things to find a light next to the bed. As we opened the shade in that room ( again very dark and old) we saw part of the lobby and also the dumpster outside right next to the room.
Needless to say we did NOT stay there. They were very nice about it and we found a hotel much close to the USAFA , with a balcony that had a beautiful view of the mountains. The price was less as well.

Zeeland, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Academy Hotel. The room was OK....similar to most properties in this price range. It was clean, showed a little wear, but perfectly acceptable. The beds were comfy. And then there was the breakfast!!! Great selection of anything you might want and all very tasty. We also enjoyed the $10 vouchers given for booking directly with the hotel. One night we had burgers in the restaurant. The other we had free ice cream sundaes. The atrium is pleasant and the pool looked nice though we did not use it. I think we'll be back.

Pitman, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I had previously posted a very negative review complete with some revealing photos of this hotel, but due a changing situation, I decided to remove the poor review and write a new one. Although I would never recommend this property, I did feel there were some missing facts that needed to be included so that travelers could make an informed decision on choosing to stay here.

As stated in my original review, we were given a room in the Executive Tower on the second floor. The room was not in good condition and was quite small. The photos on the website didn’t resemble our room at all. There was considerable mold and mildew in the bathroom, particularly around the tub and on the ceiling. There were several cracks in the tile work. The beds and pillows were uncomfortable, and the furniture was nicked and scratched.

I did go to the front desk to see if there was a larger room available that was not as run down. I was told the only larger room they had was a king suite with sofa bed that was not serviced by an elevator. Although the room did look cleaner, this was not workable for us, as we had heavy luggage and 3 people. I don’t believe in having a member of our party sleep in a sofa bed. We felt we had little choice but to check out after 1 night, despite that we had originally booked 5 nights. We did not shower the night we stayed here due to the poor bathroom condition, and we did not sleep well due to the inferior mattress and pillow quality.

As others have mentioned, the breakfast seems to be main draw here. Although there were many choices, and the food was certainly above average, it didn’t appear our table had been cleaned from the previous night. We found dried rice on the table.

I received a response from the owner of the Academy Hotel, John Wilkins, regarding my review on this site. He apologized for our experience and told me to “feel free to contact him at the hotel and he would do everything he could to make things right.” I decided to contact Mr. Wilkins. He spoke to me and once again apologized for the condition of the room. He assured me this was an unusual occurrence and that he was taking measures to fix the issues. Mr. Wilkins said he wished he had known of our problems while we were there. Overall, I was pleased with the solution he provided to me.

Due to this recent turn of events, I decided to remove my previous review and write a new one. I also chose to not repost the pictures I had previously submitted. Although I was happy with Mr. Wilkins response to my complaint, I genuinely feel he should have never let the room get into this condition to start with. I let him know this before our phone conversation concluded. Entering a room in poor condition just gives the guests such a negative impression.

I cannot recommend this property based on the room we were assigned. However, I can only hope that Mr. Wilkins’ assessment of this situation being a rare occasion to be accurate. Many thanks to John Wilkins for hearing my complaints and taking action.

Vesper, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

The Academy Hotel was a very nice base for our stay in Colorado Springs. We stayed 3 nights and were very comfortable there. The lobby was large and very inviting. The restaurant had very good food (with a daily coupon if you book through them making it very reasonable.) The best was the breakfast. Made to order omelets, a waffle making station, tons of hot and cold items to start your day and all for free. By the way, Patrick made our omelets every morning. He makes a fabulous omelet, but he does an even better job making guests feel comfortable. He could tell when someone new to the hotel came down for breakfast and would call you over right away to explain the process. He was a wealth of information for area attractions with directions and price info, even told us what roads to avoid after the unfortunate flooding in nearby Manitou Springs. Thanks for a lovely stay!

Room Tip: Go for the top floor. Better view and less noise from above.
1 Thank Diana H
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed for two nights in a handicapped room on the first floor...

The overall stay was very good. Service was very good; the food in the restaurant & the breakfast buffet was very good; the staff was friendly and very accommodating; the rooms were very comfortable.

On the negative side -

_No ventilation in the bathroom...uncomfortable.

_Promised handicapped shower chair did not fit in the tub, unless one straddled it :-( ; however, it did have plenty of handicapped rails in the bathtub, so usable for us.

_That pool should be in a separate room - not the lobby! Way too noisy and makes the lobby area very humid. Isn't there a way to enclose it?

Also, on our first night, there was a wedding reception going on in the lobby. Our handicapped room was right off the lobby. Even though I kept closing the double glass doors leading into the lobby, the loud music and microphoned MC were a bit uncomfortable for us...ESPECIALLY while we tried to have dinner with our relatives at your restaurant during this reception! Very uncomfortable...not to mention we almost felt like we were intruding on their event... We probably should have gone out to another restaurant, but we were given a $10 voucher for each night. And the food was very good... We just couldn't talk with each other while dining...

I would stay there again - but would first check to make sure there wasn't a wedding reception or other event going on in the lobby.

Room Tip: If you need a handicap room, be sure to request one...
West Lafayette, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed two nights and will stay here again when we are in the area. Very clean with comfortable bed and quiet room. Professional friendly staff and the breakfast was amazing! We were also each given a $10 voucher to be used in the hotels's own restaurant. One voucher for per night. Great value!!