“Our 6th year in a row”

Ranked #14 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Our 6th year in a row”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stay here every year while traveling with our hockey team. The front desk staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Breakfast is good and love the $10 vouchers you receive 1 for every night you're staying at the hotel. Rooms are always clean however, this year our bathroom wasn't as clean as previous stays. Pool area nice but the PH levels are not kept up, pool very cloudy! The hot tub wasn't working the 8 days we stayed there..a bit disappointed. Overall a nice place to stay and we will continue to stay here when we're here in Colorado Springs!

Room Tip: Stay in the towers, they are newer.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Laura M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Very nice property. Comfortable rooms, great breakfast, very nice lobby area and great location. While it is the closest hotel to the Air Force Academy, the south gate it is near is only for military. It wasn't too much of an issue for us since the property was so convenient to the highway and other attractions. I loved the water with fruit slices available at all times in the lobby and appreciated the $10 dining certificate provided by the hotel for dinner or late night snacks. Wifi was spotty at best throughout the hotel. Rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Executive Tower and it was very nice and quiet. We slept better the second night af...
Green Features: I greatly appreciated their soap and shampoo provided in the shower and reusing towels. Some hotels say to hang your towel if you want to reuse, but then take them all to clean everyday anyway. I appreciated that they only cleaned the ones on the floor or in the tub.
1 Thank texastravelingmomof3
Kansas City
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were on our way home from Durango to Kansas City & stayed at the Academy. From the minute we stepped in the door, we felt at home. The front desk was warm & friendly & had a great sense of humor.
I was shocked at how GREAT the food was! My husband & I arrived after dinner & were much too tired to venture out so we chose to stay & eat at the hotel. Sometimes, that can be expensive. Not only did we find the prices to be reasonable, but the food was GREAT! My husband had the fajita's & I had the Cesar Salad with meat.
My only "complaint" & this one's one ME! I should have asked for a room with a view! : )

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank katdrummy
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was our 3rd stay at The Academy Hotel. Our rooms have always been clean, beds comfortable, and the breakfast the next morning is always great. The last time we stayed on our way to go skiing, we came in with a snow storm. We hunkered in, and really enjoyed the cozy lobby, and a great hamburger.

1 Thank Trip A
Riverside, California, United States
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The breakfast was awesome.The ambiance of the lobby & fresh fruit flavored water were top notch. Pleasantly surprised by the hotel&great value. Definetly great find in Colorado Springs. Rooms were very clean. Location very close to sight seeing.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Jill Weatherwax B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Booked a three night stay at this hotel recently, based on general good reviews. The check in process was awful, and took forever, all of this after a long flight delay.

The rooms themselves are dark, and the sheets were not clean. Also the shower did not drain properly.

Customer service could be good depending on who you dealt with but generally mixed. Would think twice before staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
New Palestine, Indiana
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I chose this hotel based on the reviews on Tripadvisor. When we arrived the receptionist told my husband the hotel was sold out and she was finding us a room (we had booked ahead of time). We were given a room far from the main lobby in a wing that was rather grubby and worn. There were food wrappers on the steps leading up to the door, the hallway was sorely in need of a good cleaning or at the very least a good vacuuming. When we arrived in the room it smelled musty and dank. My son open the refrigerator and there were wet towels in it. We spoke with the main desk and he asked if we would like another room. (Well, hmm...I thought they were sold out). I replied, "Not if it is as worn as this one." He told me these were the most updated in the hotel. I then asked to be refunded my money. He stated I would have to speak with the owner. I was put on hold, he came back and stated the manager had step out and would be back soon. I waited a half hour (my husband was by then looking for another room and they actually showed rooms available at The Academy at other on-line sites) and no call back. I called back down and spoke with the gentleman again and he passed me along to a female. She insisted she would feel better if I looked at another room. Since I realized I would not be speaking to the owner or whoever was in charge or getting any money back I reluctantly agreed. She stated someone would be right over. Waiting...waiting...no one comes. I pack up and return to the front desk. I explain no one came to get me, about this time a young man comes and asked where the lady he is supposed to show the room to is, the female leans over to him and whispers. They then discuss which room I was in and apparently my room number was not shared correctly and they did not know where to find me. I do go see the new room, it was just up the elevator from the main atrium. It was clean, did not smell, and there were no food wrappers or trash. We have made a long trip and are tired. I agree to the room. I will say it was much nicer than the first one, but why the discrepancy in the hotel? I did not book on a discount site, so I should not have been placed in the neglected dilapidated section originally. The dark-haired female receptionist continues to be less than professional. I overheard her talking about my family and I to a second employee on my way to the bathroom in the Falcon restaurant. She came over and spoke with our waitress and I passed them on my way to the bathroom. When I return to my family at the table, our waitress will not honor the happy hour appetizer prices even though we were seated at 5:45 and she took our drink orders at 5:50. I would have given even a lower rating, but the breakfast staff and buffet were very nice and the atrium with the fire pit was relaxing. The service was unprofessional, unfriendly, and disorganized. I was never rude or loud with the employees, I did not demand anything. I did ask to speak with the manager (who apparently is the owner) and asked for our money to be returned due to the hotel room looking nothing at all like the photos advertised on their website and the general lack of cleanliness. I can see that others had a great experience, but based on my experience I would not recommend this hotel based on staff friendliness and cleanliness of my initial room and that section of the hotel. All parts of the hotel should be clean, not just the main part. If you do stay there make sure you ask for a room that is not in the T wing that is closest to the interstate and farthest from the pool and do not annoy the dark-haired receptionist.

Room Tip: Do not get rooms in the wing farthest from the pool!!!!!!!!!