You can tell that at one time this was a luxury hotel (probably 1960's). If I had to guess I would say that this place was originally built as a Sheraton. You can also tell from the crown shape of the signage that at one point they were also flying the Best Western flag. While no longer a luxury hotel this place does appear to try very hard and for the most part, succeeds.
I checked in later at night. The lobby area contains the restaurant and pool as well. The front desk agent was friendly and made a good first impression. I was assigned my room and made my way past the atrium to the hallway. Hallways had newish carpeting and good lighting. I did notice that the ice maker had the wood grain color that made it very circa 1985 (but who cares since it worked).
I was satisfied with the main part of the room as well. The floor was uneven which seemed a bit odd. The bed was clean and comfortable with good bedding. A fridge was supplied as well as a nice flat screen tv. The room was also very clean.
The bathroom was very much another story. There was a ton of mold and mildew all over not only the tub / shower enclosure but on every wall of the bathroom itself. This bathroom had a grunge factor that was unexpected considering the upkeep of the rest of the hotel. The bathroom alone was gross enough to justify knocking a couple stars off of my rating.
On the complete opposite end of the spectrum is the included breakfast the following morning. This was absolutely THE best included breakfast I've came across at any hotel. There were numerous hot items, all of which were tasty and of high quality. There was a made to order omelette station as well as oatmeal, pastries, juices, cereal, and milk.
The Academy Hotel provides a great value with a great breakfast and was one nasty bathroom away from a four or perhaps five star review.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs! Our Family owned and operated full service hotel is nestled around the Colorado Rocky Mountains with glorious views of Pike's Peak and is conveniently located off I-25 near the U.S. Air Force Academy. The Academy Hotel consistently offers unbeatable value, amazing amenities and exceptional service. Lodging at our hotel provides leisure and business travelers with a wide variety of famous Colorado Springs attractions such as the historic Manitou Cliff Dwellings, Garden of The Gods, Cave of The Winds, Royal Gorge, the Cog Rail Way and more! Guests marvel about The Academy Hotel's luxurious atrium filled with majestic fountains and lush greenery, a warm and inviting fireside lounge, indoor pool, sun deck with hot tub, fitness center, business center, children's arcade and onsite dining at the Falcon's Bar & Grill - with delicious American Cuisine daily specials and happy hour from 3:00 p.M.-6:00 P.M. Late arrivals enjoy the new 24 Hour Convenient Store located by the front desk. Wake each morning to a complimentary hot breakfast with waffle and made to order omelet bar! Other free amenities include: high speed Internet, HBO(R) movies, business center services, parking and unlimited local calls.Nine conference, banquet and meeting rooms accommodate 350 people -making The Academy Hotel the ideal location for weddings, reunions, social events, holiday buffets and corporate conferences. Tower rooms have been updated with a warm blend of natural earth tone decor, 50" flat screen TVs,Gel Memory Foam Mattresses, traditional quality furnishings, microwave, mini fridge and upper floors are served by Elevator. All rooms feature comfortable beds with luxurious triple sheeted linens,mini fridge & Microwave.Whether your stay is for business, pleasure or special event, the attentive staff at The Academy Hotel will ensure your stay is comfortable and memorable! Family Owned and Operated for over 30 years! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Colorado Springs
- Colorado Springs Best Western
- Academy Hotel Colorado Springs