“Aging Hotel, Great Breakfast” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs
Ranked #15 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Warren, MI
“Aging Hotel, Great Breakfast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

You can tell that at one time this was a luxury hotel (probably 1960's). If I had to guess I would say that this place was originally built as a Sheraton. You can also tell from the crown shape of the signage that at one point they were also flying the Best Western flag. While no longer a luxury hotel this place does appear to try very hard and for the most part, succeeds.

I checked in later at night. The lobby area contains the restaurant and pool as well. The front desk agent was friendly and made a good first impression. I was assigned my room and made my way past the atrium to the hallway. Hallways had newish carpeting and good lighting. I did notice that the ice maker had the wood grain color that made it very circa 1985 (but who cares since it worked).

I was satisfied with the main part of the room as well. The floor was uneven which seemed a bit odd. The bed was clean and comfortable with good bedding. A fridge was supplied as well as a nice flat screen tv. The room was also very clean.

The bathroom was very much another story. There was a ton of mold and mildew all over not only the tub / shower enclosure but on every wall of the bathroom itself. This bathroom had a grunge factor that was unexpected considering the upkeep of the rest of the hotel. The bathroom alone was gross enough to justify knocking a couple stars off of my rating.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum is the included breakfast the following morning. This was absolutely THE best included breakfast I've came across at any hotel. There were numerous hot items, all of which were tasty and of high quality. There was a made to order omelette station as well as oatmeal, pastries, juices, cereal, and milk.

The Academy Hotel provides a great value with a great breakfast and was one nasty bathroom away from a four or perhaps five star review.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank michtraveler1969

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed here for one night while travelling through Colorado. Reading that it paid to book through the hotel website we did that a got a room at a discount.

The motel is convenient for the freeway but far enough away that traffic noise is not a problem. There is a mall across the road so resupplying is not a problem. Our room was clean and comfortable, we slept well. Included in the booking was a discount voucher for the onsite restaurant, another plus point. Breakfast was very comprehensive and there was no reason top go hungry.

If you are visiting Colorado Springs and paying for accommodation out of your own pocket I suggest using The Academy Hotel. We certainly will.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here and it didn't feel outdated to us at all. We were in the middle of a out-of-state move and desperately needed a place to stay for a couple of nights while we were packing things up. We have 2 kids and 2 dogs and felt that the rates were extremely reasonable (especially considering the dogs). They actually have a pet friendly wing so you are not near guests who don't have animals. GREAT location. While the room was a little small (we did have a lot of gear), it was clean and fresh and very comfortable. We appreciated being in a pet friendly hotel and thought the overall ambiance was very beautiful. My family enjoyed the free breakfasts and my only complaint was that the indoor pool was cold. Great hotel, though, and we would highly recommend it to anyone! We also got the best rate, by far, by calling the hotel directly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
san antonio,tx
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is quite old and has very outdated amenities. We didn't know until we arrived that there is no elevator to the second floor. On the way up we noticed a pile of trash under the stairwell. It looked like someone swept a pile there and left it. It was there the three days we were. In-room housekeeping was the worst. We even left a tip the first day and still found the room almost as we left it. Although we requested the bed linens be changed every night of our thee night stay, they were not. Not even the paper cups were discarded. The bathroom counter and tub were never cleaned. The breakfast buffet was good but there was an insufferable, rude waiter running the show. We would not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank patty777
John W, Owner at The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience and please accept my sincere apology for the issues during your stay with us. I am disappointed and feel bad that we fell so short of our goal to provide each and every guest with a completely positive and memorable stay. Cleanliness is of the utmost importance to my Staff and I and is the primary reason we have been in business for over 32 years. I appreciate your comments and will work with my housekeeping Staff to hopefully prevent the oversights mentioned from happening again in the future. The Academy Hotel is a 200 room full service Hotel and has three wings, all of which have been renovated and/or updated within the last three years. The Executive Tower Wing has four floors which are served by Elevator. The Tower guest rooms all have been fully renovated within the last three years and feature new furnishings, carpet, wallpaper, art, flat screen TV’s with over 100 channels of HD programing along with HBO and Showtime, triple sheeted pillow top beds with lots of pillows and black out roller shades. We also have a Dream King upgrade in the Executive Tower which features memory foam mattresses and 42” flat screen TV’s. Large Jacuzzi Suites are also available in the Executive Tower. The Leisure wing and Pet Friendly wings are two story wings and the second floor of these Wings is served by stairs. These rooms have received new carpet within the last two years, fresh paint, black out roller shades and triple sheeted beds. Our Leisure and Pet Friendly rooms are well suited for the value oriented Leisure Guest. The Atrium Lobby, Corridors and the Restaurant (Falcon’s Bar and Grill) renovation was completed in 2010 and feature new floor and wall coverings, new Front Desk, Business Center, Fountains, Fireside Lounge, Fitness Center, Arcade and a freshly refinished pool. We are a Family owned and operated Hotel (since 1980) and work very hard to try to provide each of our guests with a memorable experience, warm personal service and modern amenities. It is my hope you will see fit to give us another chance on your next visit to Colorado Springs. I am confident we can find the right room type for your needs and could transform a disappointed guest to a loyal customer. Thank you once again for your valued feedback.
Sincerly,
John Wilkins/Owner
Loreena39
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

I thought it was a great deal we went last minute and we got a free upgrade and the happy hour deals were fantastic. The hot tub was nice the free breakfast was pretty chaotic and the omelette dude was grumpy. Otherwise I will go back

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Loreena39
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

Everything was amazing! Except for one rude breakfast worker.. Make sure you arrive there early or you will not get friendly service... Everything else was spot on! Would definitely stay there again and again!

Room Tip: The memory foam bed is soooooo comfortable! Definitely worth the few extra bucks :-)
Green Features: Love the environmentally friendly practices especially when co is in a draught!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Btdawgvs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

Book directly with the hotel for best rates: I got 30% off the rate published on other sites, plus a $10 food/beverage credit per day, by booking on the hotel's website.
Staff was helpful and friendly -- from the front desk attendants who complemented my dress, to the bartender who lent a friendy ear and a generous pour hand after a long day, to the breakfast attendant who opened a "closed" section when the dining area was inundated with people attending an on-site meeting so I could sit quickly and make it to my off-site meeting on time. Only housekeeping was an issue: I received no service in my room on the Saturday of my weekend stay, despite being out of the room from 7-2 and 5-11, then had housekeeping knocking on my door at 9:30A on Sunday, and, when I said I needed another hour, attempting to enter without knocking (fortunately, I had the secondary lock on) at 10:30 (checkout is at 11:00).
Common areas are very comfortable and well-designed. Room was small, but clean. One of the beds was very saggy, but triple-sheeted and fairly comfortable nevertheless - like sleeping at the bottom of a warm, soft hole. View was lovely. Blackout shade was difficult to raise/lower (a bit wide for the window), but helpful. 4th floor room was very quiet. Overall, a good stay. I plan to return.

Green Features: I appreciated that instead of individual bottles of shampoo and bars of soap, the hotel uses refillable wall-mounted dispensers in the shower - much less waste!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo