“The Academy Hotel - Best Place to Stay in Colorado Springs”

The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs
Ranked #16 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Early January 2013, marked our first time to Colorado Springs. Not knowing the area at all we spent a lot of time researching where to stay. The Academy hotel was our choice and we could not have been happier. With free hot cooked breakfast, dinner certificates and a sports bar you could not beat the price. Rooms were more than adequate and the staff was amazing. If we ever have another opportunity to visit Colorado Springs, The Academy is the only place we will stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MissMyDogNikita

Reviewed February 12, 2013

The hotel was very nice and the breakfast was amazing. However, I booked a more expensive room that promised assorted teas, Starbucks coffee, and Bath and Body Works. When I notified the front desk, I was told that everything would be placed in my room. So when I returned at 10 pm that night, it was not there. I called the front desk again and was told it would be brought up. We never received any of it. Also there were kids running the halls late at night. We were awaken at 1:30 am due to loud neighbors. I was told that management would contact me. They never did.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Holly K
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is the third time my family has stayed at The Academy! Everyone is friendly and the rates are extremely reasonable. I thought it was a nice touch that they gave a coupon for the restaurant since I booked directly with them. The free breakfast is outstanding. Not your normal "free breakfast". It really is the little things that add up from the flavored water, the fire to the pool.
My son especially loves the chocolate chip cookies!

Reviewed February 10, 2013

It's updated, open and inviting with just beautiful scenery. The breakfast buffet is marvelous, there is an omelette chef and the standard waffle bar but with extras of upgraded toppings like apples in cinnamon, strawberry, and fresh whipped cream. Also, did you read the part about the omelette chef? tip that man, he's a genius.
There is a pool inside that seems pretty popular and there are lot of hang out areas around the fireplace with free iced drinks. The room itself is a little dark, but the bed is comfy and its spotlessly clean even inside the mini fridge and microwave. If you want brewed coffee with breakfast, you can use the coffee maker in your room. I would stay here again definitely, it's worth it.

Room Tip: our room was 126- the bed was comfy for me
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ScarlettCrush
Reviewed February 10, 2013

THE GOOD: Our first choice for frequent visits with our AF Academy cadet. Clean, quiet rooms, and an excellent service-oriented staff. Prime location. Their rates are extremely competitive--as long as there are no major USAFA events, which drive-up every hotels prices.

I would have given a 5, except for a recent change to their breakfast. The Academy Hotel uses their breakfast a draw to distinguish itself from same or lower-priced competitors. The difference is greater variety: already made waffles, french toast, make your own burrito, and custom eggs and omelets, etc.

THE BAD: They serve instant coffee--a poor finish to an otherwise great breakfast. They use the popular Douwe Egbert system, which is mediocre at best. No coffee aroma, no coffee taste; just a flat tasting black fluid that approximates the real thing. Please--go back to brewed, you can't be saving that much money.

3  Thank Turnflyer
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Great location, best breakfast in town included, plus $10 each night at the grill! The lobby is very inviting and comfortable. Very friendly staff...except...the beds are hard as rocks. I would return but my husband will not go back because of the beds. Too bad because he also loved everything else about the hotel!

2  Thank sportstraveler1
John W, Owner at The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your valuable feedback and please accept my sincere apology for the bed not meeting your expectations. We do offer rooms with memory foam mattresses in our Dream King and Jacuzzi Suites. All other rooms feature pillow top mattress's. I am positive that if you were able to see fit to give us another try, we could find a bed that would meet your needs. Thank you for staying with us, your business is greatly appreciated and valued.
John Wilkins
Owner

Reviewed February 6, 2013

The staff and food were outstanding ... but we did NOT get our wake up call at 6 AM and one of the queen beds had deep dent in the middle of the bed from the headboard to the foot. Perhaps I'm lucky - but in all my frequent travels, I have not encountered this to such a degree! Unfortunately we needed both beds. Despite the great staff and food, can't say I'd ever stay again. When I asked to leave a comment - I was told they only accepted comments on line. So, here it is!

2  Thank sheeptraveler
John W, Owner at The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience and please accept my sincere apology for not meeting your expectations. I pay close attention to all reviews and my Staff and I work very hard to make each and every guests experience at The Academy Hotel a positive and memorable stay. We clearly fell short of this goal in your case which is very disappointing to me. The Academy Hotel is proud to have received the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence for the last 3 years in a row. I am certain that if you could see fit to give us another try, we could transform a disappointed guest to a loyal customer. Thank you once again for your valued feedback.
John Wilkins