“Stop looking - this is it!”

The Academy Hotel Colorado Springs
Ranked #16 of 104 Hotels in Colorado Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I selected this hotel over all the others in Colorado Springs, in large part because of the reviews I read here. I am very happy that I did. Right away, the lobby was impressive. I usually could care less about a lobby, but this one had lots of sunlight, large plants, waterfalls, fresh drinking water coolers with lemon or with oranges, the swimming pool, and the bar/grille up a few steps overlooking the area. We asked for an early check-in and our room was not quite ready. So we went to their bar/grille for their Happy Hour $2.99 drinks and $2.99 appetizers. The front desk person chased us down there to give us our room keys, and we hadn’t even been served yet. Once we were served, the appetizers were quite good. Entering our room in the “executive tower”, we noticed the room darkening shades on the windows. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before and it really helped sleeping, along with the very comfortable beds & pillows. The WiFi connection was not very fast, but average compared to other hotels. A fitness center was one of the amenities we wanted, and at hotels in this price range the fitness centers are usually mediocre to poor. Again we were pleased with a full rack of free weights, a Universal gym, a weight bench, four cardio machines, water coolers, bathrooms, and clean towels. The area was clean and all machines were well-maintained & operational. The free breakfast the next morning was a buffet with absolutely everything you might want: omelets to order, hot trays with scrambled eggs, ham, sausages, biscuits & gravy, French toast, waffles, fruit, yogurt, cereals, breads, and excellent coffee. The only thing I can even think of to improve this hotel experience would be nicer towels in the bathroom. We will absolutely be staying here again every time we visit Colorado Springs in the future.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ronald K
Write a ReviewReviews (2,351)

Reviewed April 2, 2012

The hotel is lovely, and the nicest part is the lobby/atrium area. As I live locally, I was looking forward to a peaceful evening and catching up on some much-needed rest due to family issues. Upon check-in, I had requested a quiet room and was placed in Room #126 in Building A. It was a lovely room (could have done with a DO NOT DISTURB sign on the the back of the door). Upon my return from having dinner with a friend a little after 9pm, I was really looking forward to a good night's sleep. Much to my dismay, there was a very excited family next door and then realizing, I had been given a room with a connecting door (which was right beside the bed/nightstand) and from that point on until almost midnight, it was impossible to get any sleep. I did call the operator who told me that they would send someone there to ask them to lower the tone, but to be honest, it was not much of a change. Next time, I really hope they will give me a quiet room as I requested, and not part of two connecting roooms which are great for big families but not for two seperate guests/groups! Too bad, it ruined the night everything else about the hotel is really wonderful and I would recommend a stay here: worth the price!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Stayed for several days and really had a nice time. Rooms were very nice and clean. Provided Breakfast was unbelivable !!!...I don't know how they do it. The atrium was such a nice addition. We had a large group of hocky "campers" and it was a great place to socialize - Parents and kids. Kids loved the huge Wii screen in the middle of the atrium...we could watch the kids and parents could enjoy happy hour. Pools alittle noisy but once again the kids could swim and parents could watch from the lounge/Lobby. We will be going back.

Reviewed April 1, 2012

This Hotel is an excellent choice for anyone. Price is so reasonable and the breakfast was awesome it had everything you could want (waffles, omelettes, french toast, pancakes etc..). The front desk staff was great. Great location. Clean and comfortable rooms Fantastic pool and whirlpool also clean. Lobby is beautiful and cozy. Nice cold water with lemon all day and night. I will definately stay there again !!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 1, 2012

After reading all of the great reviews on here, we decided to book our 6 night stay in Colorado Springs at The Academy Hotel. We really enjoyed our stay,the rooms were really nice and roomy and the beds were comfortable. They have flat screen tv's and free wifi, which was really nice and a small refrigerator and microwave (although ours didn't work very well) in the room as well. The lobby was really pretty with water fountains, trees that are lit with lights and there is a 4 sided fireplace with a nice sitting area, a game room, an indoor pool and an outdoor hot tub. There is a nice restaurant/bar inside the hotel that has a pool table and we ate there one night and the food was pretty good. The staff were all friendly and helpful. In the mornings, they had a really good breakfast with omelettes made to order, waffles, biscuits and gravy, ham and quite a bit more to choose from. Every morning, we would enjoy going outside and seeing rabbits that would be on the property and the gorgeous view around the hotel! It is also in a very good location and close to so many things. There were only a few reasons why I didn't rate this hotel as excellent, one being that our microwave didn't work well at all, the other was that we were on the 2nd floor for the entire 7 days and 6 nights and the ice machine on that floor was not working the entire time, so we had to go to another floor for ice and the other was that the maid service wasn't the best as my son had dropped some chips on the floor beside his bed the second night and it was never vacuumed up and overall, I think the maid could have done a better job cleaning. Other than those few things, our stay was wonderful and we would stay here again for sure!

Room Tip: I would suggest that you don't get a room close to the doors that lead outside as late at night...
Reviewed March 31, 2012

One night stay, but could have been extended if we had time. The price was very reasonable especially considering we could have paid the same somewhere else and would have received donuts and bagels. Fantastic breakfast, great front desk staff. Would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

This place is great!! Kids played wii late into the evening while I sat and watched from the restaurant. Bed comfortable, kids loved the indoor pool, didn't use hot tub that was outside. Breakfast is one of the best included ones I've ever seen :) yum
We chose to stay here because of trip advisor's score of them, otherwise we would have missed this place, there are soooo many hotels at the same intersection...thank you

Room Tip: we were on the fourth floor of the tower rooms-great