“Easy to be here!”

Ranked #19 of 105 Hotels in Colorado Springs
Santa Monica, CA
“Easy to be here!”
Reviewed July 22, 2009

Based on some of the reviews I had read on TripAdvisor, we were concerned about staying at this resort. We were so pleased with our experience at the Cheyenne Mountain Resort and saw no evidence of the various complaints listed on this site. Our room was generous in size, tastefully appointed - completely comfortable. I especially liked the reach-through closet and the extra sink outside the actual bathroom. There was a small refrigerator in our room which was useful. Climate control was good, Also, the rooms were quiet in spite of the high occupancy rate. Good insulation made for quiet nights. The resort fee covers the use of the adjoining country club, though we mostly used the pool at the lodge, which our seven-year-old daughter thoroughly enjoyed. This is a family-friendly place. The staff was always friendly and helpful. We got a great rate through Expedia, and hope to return in the future.

1 Thank Dimpna
samiam08, Director of Rooms at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2009
Dear Dimpna,

How generous of you to be so candid about your stay at Cheyenne Mountain Resort after reading some of our reviews on this site. We realize that we can always finds ways to improve and strive to do so daily, but the candor of our guests on this site is a great resource for us and we appreciate the commentaries. I do thank you for arriving with
such an open mind.

Thank you for your comment about our staff; they work very hard every day and appreciate knowing that their efforts have made an impact on our guests. You were very gracious to recognize them.

We will look forward to your next visit, and behalf of everyone at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, thank you again, for being our guest.

Cheyenne Mountain Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Oklahoma
Reviewed July 21, 2009

This was a FUN resort style hotel right at the base of Cheyenne Mountain. My wife and I and our two young children stayed here for 4 nights and had a great time. Our favorite thing was the amazing view right from our balcony of the mountain as well as views of the resort's private lake and golf course, etc. My wife loved waking up early and drinking her coffee on the balcony to watch the sunrise. The only potential downside to that is that not every room will have the great view depending on where it is located or the direction it faces.

The kids' favorite (and a close second for us) was the pool area. There was a nice outdoor pool and hot tub right off the main hotel building. We never actually used that one because we used the ones at the Aquatic Center of the Country Club which was just down the hill from the resort and within short walking distance. The Country Club is of course used by locals who are members but resort guests also have access. It was very nice. There was a full size Olympic pool with a FUN waterslide that the kids LOVED (I liked it too). Right by it was a kid pool that was shallow enough for my 3-year-old to wade in. It was perfect for him, and he splashed around in it for hours. Since it was so shallow the water was very warm from the sun as it was in direct sunlight all day. There was also a fountain area next to it that the kids could run through and get sprayed with jets of water coming up out of the ground - they loved it too.

There were always plenty of lounge chairs available and several shaded spots around the pools for the adults to relax and enjoy a drink and a snack from the nearby bar and grill (I liked the bratwurst but wished they would have had sauerkraut and spicy mustard!). The fact that you could charge items here to your room made it very convenient. Right next to this was a secluded adults only pool (21 years and older) which is a good idea, but my wife and I could never break away from the kiddos! There is also a large indoor pool (presumably heated) that is on the other side of the olympic pool that we didn't use but it looked nice.

The resort's private lake and beach are right next to the pool area. You can swim in a roped off section of the lake, but probably too cold for me. There were sand volleyball courts (never saw anybody playing). Included in your room rental was access to your choice of a paddleboat (which seats up to 4), a small sailboat (2), or a kayak (2) to take out on the lake. We really enjoyed using the paddleboat since we could all fit on it and the lake was very serene with the beautiful scenery all around. The Aquatics Center and lake access closed at 7 pm which was a bit of a downer but the resort pool stayed open until 10 or 11.

I did not see inside the fitness center, but it is large and includes racquetball, indoor tennis, etc. There were also several well maintained outdoor courts which I was very disappointed that I didn't get to take advantage of (those darn kids again)! I mentioned the nice looking golf course as well. The green fees are of course extra and not included with your room.

The location was good with easy access to I-25 or a short drive up Hwy 115 (Nevada Ave) into downtown Colorado Springs where there's lots of good restaraunts. The room was not extraordinary but very nice and clean. Flat screen TV would have been nice, but hey you're in the mountains - who needs much TV anyway? The TV did have HBO and of course ESPN, etc. Having a small fridge in the room was a HUGE plus, and we liked the extra touch of the two large bathrobes. The maids did a good job every day of cleaning, making the beds and restocking essentials. The AC worked good and unlike another review I saw here - I didn't think it was overly loud.

The lobby area was very nice and rustic - lots of stone accents. The bar/lounge area had two nice pool tables (I think they were free) and flat screen TV's. The main restaraunt has a big breakfast and dinner buffet. It's not cheap (what really good buffet is?) but looked very good - and again had great views. I really wished we could have found time to eat there and sit on the large terrace which looked out onto Cheyenne mountain.

Sorry for the long review but hopefully some of you like reading lots of details before you choose where to stay (I know I do). I would strongly recommend this hotel and hope to return here soon with friends of ours (minus the kids!) to fully enjoy the resort and the surrounding Springs area. Don't get me wrong - it's a great place for kids too, but any of you parents know how they limit what you can do. I would like to go into a glowing review of all the things to do in Colorado Springs as well, but I've rambled long enough. So I'll just list some highlights to do: Drive to top of Pikes Peak or take the RailCog (and eat the famous donuts at the top), drive up to Helen Hunt Falls and hike up the trail, tour Cave of the Winds, climb around for a few hours at the Garden of the Gods, check out the Manitou Cliff Dwellings, drive up Cheyenne Mountain at night for a bird's eye view of the city lights - beautiful!, enjoy the dinner show at Flying W Ranch (good for kids), etc, etc, etc ...

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
samiam08, Director of Rooms at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, responded to this review, August 19, 2009
Hello SoonerBred,

Wow! I am at a loss for wordz; your review of Cheyenne Mountain Resort and all it has to offer reads like the script of a travel show. Thank you for being so observant, so thorough and so kind. But more importantly I am so happy that you truly enjoyed your time with us. We strive to provide a wonderful vacation experience to all our guests and hope that you take with you memories that will last a lifetime. Thanks you for letting us know we did just that. Our staff will be happy to know they delighted you so.

Do come visit us again...it would be our honor to have the pleasure of your company once more.

I am at your service if I can assist in any way.

smarble@benchmarkmanagement.com
Colorado
Reviewed July 14, 2009

What a GREAT weekend!! The hospitality and service was superb! There were a couple of issues that came up, but were handled in a very professional and satisfactory way. From the minute we drove up, to the minute we left, ALL the staff was GREAT! We will be back and have already been spreading the word of this “secret” place to friends and co-workers. Thanks again!”

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ColoradoSunshine17
Dear ColoradoSunshine17,

Thank you for posting your thoughts about your stay. I was glad to read that our staff did a quick job in handling the concerns you presented and that you thought they were great.! I happen to agree with you: we have a breathtaking setting and wonderful amenities but it is our team of dedicated employees who make the greatest impression on our guests. Would not have it any other way.

We will look forward to your next visit, until then, on behalf of everyone at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, thank for being our guest.

AR
Reviewed July 7, 2009

We are still here so this will be interesting. Upon check-in met great greeter, Rey and front desk person, Ana-Kay. From there downhill faster than Picabo Street. Had 2 rooms first night. upon check in at 5pm, our room we had reserved for the entire week was not ready (had requested rooms close together--buildings are some distance apart). so rey put bags in room for only one night. went to dinner, came back room they gave us for the week had been cleaned but we asked to be moved the next day, and they accomodated.
Moved us to a similar room but this one had rat droppings on the patio. We left at 9am, returned about 930pm, room had not been serviced---we were tired, hot needed a shower but no towels, etc. Called front desk, let them know and asked to speak to night manager, Patricia. I asked if we could just check out in the morning and not be charged ( I had pre-paid to get a cheaper rate, $189) --i have 2 rooms the last night and can't take it anymore. She was polite, but firm--offered half price tonight (rat droppings still on patio)
and that's it. They obviously have had issues with people checking in, not being satisfied and trying to leave--like the Hotel California. They claim we must've had the Do Not Disturb sign out all day which is not correct--must've been on the door on the room when we checked in also.
I hope the hotel has the chance to read this and respond. Stay anywhere but here!!!!!
We would rate this a zero if possble.

1 Thank shopdad
samiam08, Director of Rooms at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2009
Dear shopdad,

Thank you for not allowing our missteps to tarnish your praise of Anna Kay and Rey It shows how you appreciate people in everyday life and I thank you for being so gracious.

I would say we were twice as fast as Picabo Street in the descent that we took and you have every right to be very disappointed with us. I can not say whether or not the Do Not Disturb sign was the "cause" of confusion, some times it is, but that would only explain the lack of towels. I am mortified that your balcony was not cleaned or inspected properly. We do deal with” wildlife" on our balconies and I believe that birds were the culprit in this matter, as it is an ongoing process to keep railings and balconies clean. Nonetheless the error is ours and is not at all acceptable.

I do not wish for my on-line apologies to appear empty, so I would like to refund the amount of the room rate that you paid whether full or half price for all the nights that you were our guest. May I ask that you contact me directly at Cheyenne Mountain Resort so that I may apologize directly to you and then determine which reservation must be credited? As the Director of Rooms I bear the responsibility of the quality of the guest rooms and I believe that we have not served you well so I ask you for this opportunity to make amends.

With continued apologies,

719-538-4000
Arizona
Reviewed July 1, 2009

Hotel views and relationship to lake etc. are a sham in their pictures online. Hotel room was hot - air conditioner seemed to be on a load sensor - shut off more than it was on. When on, air conditioner sounded like a LOUD jet plane. Room was not clean. Balcony had over a hundred dead bugs plastered all over the outside of the air conditioner, floor and wall by the air conditioner. Stay was not pleasant at all. Food in the restaurant (Mountain View) was ok - more like convention food. Service was excellent! This hotel was worthy of a 2 or 3 star rating and about $60 a night, not $200 +. Don't bother with this one. Woke up at 4 in the morning hearing someone banging their luggage down the stairs to their car - of course, there seemed to be absolutely no service at the various lodges they send you to. Hotel describes itself as "rustic" so the don't have to mow the grass around the lodge!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
samiam08, Director of Rooms at Cheyenne Mountain Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2009
Good Evening TravelerSummer09,

My sincere apologies for your displeasure with Cheyenne Mountain Resort. Everyone in the hospitality industry desires to provide their guests with a quality product and outstanding service, and reading through your comments I can see why you would be less than thrilled with your stay.

I am sorry that the air conditioning was not functioning properly and that it was loud; we will be sure to make the needed adjustments. Regarding you neighbors upstairs, I do wish they had left later in the morning, however assistance with luggage was only a phone call away had they desired; our staff is happy to serve anyone at any lodge at any time.

The past few months we have been fortunate to have an abundance of rain making the resort and Pete Dye golf course a lush green that has not been seen in recent summers. But, it has meant we are scrambling to keep ahead of an increase in insects and ever-growing grass. Again, my apologies for their appearance; you have made us aware that perhaps we need to refocus the efforts of our staff to guarantee better control of both.

I thank you for your praise of our staff and the excellence they displayed. You were very kind to recognize their hard working, caring spirits in spite of the other matters you encountered.

I understand why you would not desire to return, but if by some chance you do reconsider please contact me personally at the resort and I will be pleased to make your reservation myself.

Happy July 4th to you and your family,

Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 27, 2009

I have intended to add this review for some time now. Our son is in the USAFA in Colorado Springs, and we visited the city for parents weekend. We had fairly high expectations for Cheyenne Mountain based on their web site. Especially for a 4-Star hotel. It was a little higher and a little farther away from the Academy than we preferred, but decided to splurge and enjoy the weekend. Plus we got a more acceptable rate through an online travel site.

The bell-hops were very friendly and were a good first impression of the resort... in addition to the rustic beauty at the foot of the mountains. The entry, lobby area, and gorgeous mountain and lake view out the panoramic windows opposite the entry was impressive. But that quickly was deflated by the person at the front desk. First the couple in front of us were embarrassed when she shouted for all to hear that if they were going to pay with a debit card they would have to put a hold on their card. The volume and tone didn't set too well. Not sure of the purpose.

When it was our turn, we asked if there were any rooms with a good view of the mountain (we had requested this in advance), and she quickly looked in her computer and checked us in. As we walked into the room, outside entry, on the first floor, the air was very musty and moldy. The view out the window... if you got as far to the left as possible and tried to look around the corner, you could see a glimpse of the mountain. We called the front desk and a young man answered our call.

He quickly apologized and said he would correct the problem... which he did... sorta. He found us a room on the 2nd floor of the same building. The room was cleaner and did not have an odor... but when we opened the curtain.... a view of a tree... blocking the view of the mountain. We almost settled, but we would not have been satisfied.

So we called the front desk again... the original woman answered the phone... in which we quickly asked for the young gentleman. He was not at the front desk at the moment so we asked for him to call us, and he did within minutes. He apologized again and said to give him a few minutes and he would call us back.

It was only a few minutes, and he did call us back. He was actually happy that he was going to place us in a different building (Dove Creek). He stated with a smile in his voice that he felt we would be very pleased with this room. This is the type of service and attitude you would expect at a 4-Star hotel, and he delivered.

This building had inside entry and was located just across the walkway from the main building (lobby, restaurant, etc). It had an elevator to our floor instead of stairs. It was immediately obvious that this building was more up to date. And he was right about the room. We were on the top floor with a beautiful view out the balcony.

We stayed for a few days, and thanks to that young man (I am sorry that I cannot remember his name!) we had a very pleasant stay in a beautiful and comfortable room... a truly 4-Star room. The restaurant was great, BUT you must try the Sunday Brunch if at all possible. From our point of view you get exactly what you pay for. Tremendous options, with every one of them being simply superb.

We are going back to Colorado Springs in Sept for parents weekend, and are considering staying at Cheyenne Mountain again on this trip. Its a little pricey for the casual traveler. But if you search the travel sites, you might find a more acceptable rate to push you over the edge to try a slightly higher scale experience.

Overall... we can recommend this hotel to you as we have done so with our friends and USAFA parents. What started out a disappointment... turned into a very nice stay... thanks to a very valuable employee who saved the day for us. In today's travel... you don't always get the service you expect and deserve. even at at 3.0-4.0 Star hotels. Cheyene Mountain... although it does need updating in some buildings... delivered in a truly 4-Star way. We hope to be back on multiple trips over the next few years.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jmarkw
Hello jmarkw,

I must say that I am very impressed with the level of detail you have provided in your review. Thank you for taking the time to write all that you did and for providing a full view of your stay from beginning to end.

It is an honor to serve the families of United States Air Force Academy cadets. Over the years we have had the pleasure of serving many for Parents Weekend and Graduation; some have stayed with us each of the four years considering the resort their home in Colorado Springs. Last month we provided complimentary rooms, dinner and breakfast for twenty new cadets the night before they reported to the Academy. I had the pleasure of getting to know some of these exceptional young men and women and was truly impressed by their desire to serve their country. You must be very proud of your cadet. Congratulations!

About the rooms and views, I was glad to here that one of our great staff members rose to the occasion to find the perfect room for you; thank you for singing his praises. Like every hotel and resort each room at Cheyenne Mountain Resort has a different angle to its view, so I thank you for your patience as the perfect one was found; the third time was indeed the charm. And please know we are working with a designer to develop a fresh look for all of our guest rooms; the process has been slowed considerably by these difficult economic times.

Happy to know you had time to enjoy Sunday Brunch. It is a favorite with our guests and neighbors and I recommend you ask for a table on the terrace for the view of the Front Range makes the experience a delight for all the senses.

Thank you for your closing comments about Cheyenne Mountain Resort, and I hope you will indeed visit us for years to come. Kindly let me know if I may be of any assistance to you or your young cadet.

Wishing you a Happy Independence Day Weekend,

Overland Park, KS and Jackson Hole, WY
Reviewed June 22, 2009

My husband had a business function for four days at Cheyenne Mountain Resort and I tagged along for fun. We added two days to the trip so we could relax and see Colorado Springs. The rooms are outdated with dark furnishings and ugly carpet. However, our bathroom had two sinks; one in the room with the toilet and shower and one outside of that area. AND both sinks had a large vanity area so you could actually put your toiletries on the counter and not worry about them being knocked off into the toilet. The resort has a pool by the main lodge that is a nice place for relaxing. Patrons of the resort can also use the country club that is located there that has an indoor and outdoor pool, workout facilities and golf. We don't golf, I don't swim laps and I exercise in my room with dvd's. But, we did check out the workout facilities for my husband and he wasn't thrilled. Seemed a bit crowded, but I don't like public workout facilities anyway.
The staff was helpful and room service orders always arrived quickly. I inquired about renting a car for a day and the bell staff was extremely helpful. Hertz works with the hotel and brought the car to us and let us drop it off at the airport for no extra charge; all at a very reasonable rate.
The restaurant was wonderful. We had dinner there two nights, breakfast two mornings and I had room service lunch twice. Their spinach watermelon salad is fantastic, the omelettes are above average and the entrees we had for dinner were outstanding. I liked the spinach watermelon salad so much I think I had it at least four times during our stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Hello rdh13808,

How nice that you could join your husband on his business trip and spend some time with us. I understand your thoughts about our guest rooms; we are currently working with a designer to create a new look, but like most “home improvement” projects this is taking longer than we had anticipated so your understanding is appreciated.

Thank you for mentioning all the recreation we offer, for there is truly something for everyone, and our partners at Hertz will be happy to know you were pleased with their service.

I am sure you will make Chef Brother Luck's day when he learns how much you enjoyed the watermelon salad. It is part of our new Colorado Fusion menu that features fresh Colorado ingredients presented in a southwestern style. Next time you must try the ribs, and my personal favorite, the salmon.

We appreciate your being our guests and when you plan a return visit I hope you will contact me directly.

Wishing you a Happy July 4th!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Colorado Springs
Garden of the Gods Club and Resort
Garden of the Gods Club and Reso...
#3 of 105 in Colorado Springs
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Gr...
#5 of 105 in Colorado Springs
The Antlers A Wyndham Hotel
The Antlers A Wyndham Hotel
#20 of 105 in Colorado Springs
The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
#1 of 10 in Manitou Springs
Best Western Plus Peak Vista Inn & Suites
Best Western Plus Peak Vista Inn...
#4 of 105 in Colorado Springs
Staybridge Suites Colorado Springs
Staybridge Suites Colorado Sprin...
#9 of 105 in Colorado Springs

Been to Cheyenne Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!